Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much protein can you digest at one timw

I am so thankful to the person who posted you can only digest 30gm of Protein at a time and the rest is potential converted to fat. Even though my Protein shakes have been a huge help during my initial post op phase I am now going to transition them out of my diet and refocus on adjusting my intake of animal and plant based Protein. I feel better and fuller already.

Sent from my SM-G920V using the BariatricPal App

30 grams at a time is what I read/heard long ago. I don't know about the whole converting to fat thing, but it's definitely bad for your kidneys to ingest more than 30 grams at a time.

Ugh... this "fact" again. It's not true that one can only process 30 grams of Protein at a time. Are we talking whey? Casein? chicken? Beef? Pork? Pea? Hemp?

The rates at which Protein is metabolized varies as does where it is completely broken down by our bodies. Add to that that no two people are the same. Will an accountant and a linebacker both only be able to use 30 gm's of protein?

According to this study:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10867039

Whether you eat an entire days worth of protein in one meal or spread over 3 meals throughout the day makes little difference to our body.

The main thing you should focus on is a daily goal. If you need 60 grams of protein a day, just focus on that. Don't worry if you get it all in the morning or at one meal.

I appreciate the reply and I did just know review the study you attached. I agree people are different but I will have to do more evidence based research. A study with only 16 subjects is too small to take as proven evidence

I feel the need to point out that there are 4 calories for every one gram of Protein. So to get 30 grams in one sitting, you would have to be ingesting a bare minimum of 120 calories, assuming no carbs or fat are involved at all. Since it's unlikely anyone is consuming pure protein, then you are probably looking at closer to 200-250 calories to get in 30 grams of protein. For me, post-sleeve, that's about the top end of how much I can physically eat in one sitting anyway.

For me, post-sleeve, that's about the top end of how much I can physically eat in one sitting anyway.

Right? it's pretty much a moot point for me for this reason.

Depending on what stage one is in post surgery, yes 30 grams will be the max they can ingest at one time. I was addressing the fact that the rest is potentially converted into fat. That part is patently false.

I am getting 1700-ish calories a day and I routinely get 150 grams of Protein a day. Thats more than 30 grams per many meal. I've discussed it with my surgeon and I am doing very well. If there is one take away that I bet we can all agree on is this; talk to your surgeon and do whatever he/she says . Don't take whatever you read on the forum as the bible.

@@BigViffer Yeah I had never hear about that whole conversion to fat nonsense before. I had heard that too much Protein at once could cause kidney problems, especially if you already have kidney disease.

I was just posting on another thread about Protein targets. It said for sedentary people, the target should be 0.36 grams per 1 pound of body weight and for active people it should be more like 0.5-0.65 grams per pound of body weight. Assuming you are active and your profile is up to date, that would suggest your requirement is a minimum of about 140 grams for you. So you are right where you need to be.

For me (I'm training for a half marathon), I should be at 104 grams per day, but I'm usually closer to 115-120. I don't usually get more than 30 in one sitting though. Looking at my food logs for the past couple of days, it looks like I usually top out around 20-22 grams of protein per meal/snack. But I eat at least 6 times a day.