Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So all of the medical pamphlets and articles I've read, including the Baritastic App, say that the average weight loss for someone receiving the gastric sleeve is 60% of your EXCESS weight. I have 125lbs I want to lose to get to my goal weight. On here just about every story I read on those who have had it are losing all their excess weight. Am I looking through rose colored glasses or is it VERY certain if I follow all instructions, exercise and eat according to plan, that I can lose 125lbs? Your thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

The predicted weight loss is based on results from a few specific studies. They are estimates and not predictions.

Is it possible to lose all of your excess weight? Yes.

Is it possible to lose very little of your excess weight? Yes.

Is it possible to lose part of your excess weight? Also, yes.

As far as I can tell is that the only real limit is how much effort you choose to put into following your program. If you do what you are supposed to and don't give up when you stall or experience difficulties, then you can lose all or most of your excess weight.

They are offering AVERAGES so as to provide a realistic expectation. In other words, so you can ask yourself "if I only lose 60 lbs (instead of 100) would I still have the surgery?"

I pushed myself, and followed Doctor's orders to exceed his goal of reaching a final Wright of 160--I thought 150 was better but an actually hovering at 138-139, down from 267 at my highest, and 237 the day of surgery.

Your success-or failure-all depends on your efforts.

Of course its impossible to predict what your total weight loss will be. If you follow the program and exercise you may very well be able to loose that amount

My surgeon and dietitian gave me the average rate - said my actual rate may vary from this depending on how well I stick to the diet and also how much my psych meds, age, and gender affect my metabolism. I'm focusing on the first part of that - the part I have control over. I will give it my all and don't plan to be average. I may or may not lose Every. Single. Pound. but I'm going to do my best to get as close as possible.

Keep in mind that no one know how much everyone who has ever had surgery has done over time. There is no master database of all of that information in addition to the fact that the number would be forever changing. What doctors go by is data derived from a specific set of people over a specific amount of time.

As others have mentioned if you focus on what you are in charge of: your Protein, Water, exercise, Vitamins, food choices, and attitude, you will do great.

When they calculate excess weight they don't necessarily use the same number as your goal. I have been maintaining at or under goal for a few years but I think it equates to about 95_98 percent of excesw weight.

Do not be fooled by forums they are over represented in a few categories of people:

-complications

-people shouting their successes

It is not the right way to assess complication rates OR statistical outcomes as it is self selected.

Sent from my KFJWI using the BariatricPal App