Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A small intro of sorts...

I live in Central Florida and currently have a BMI of 62 (yeah....). I just restarted my process this week. (I say restarted because I did go through a month of it in 2013 before I had to stop because life took over). I'm doing okay so far, I think (I hope). I'm slowly getting into a rhythm and figuring out what I can and can't eat (hey, it's only day three, haha).

Right now, I feel overwhelmed with information and decisions. Part of me keeps freaking out that I need to have all my appointments at once, then i remember i have 3 months. I'm scared because they require me to have a sleep apnea test and I'm afraid i might have it, throwing another curve ball into the mix. I'm 85% I'm going to get RNY. I say that because there is another procedure my doctor offers, but I don't think insurance will cover it and it's still new and "experimental".

Sorry for the novel. I just wanted to say hi because I'm new and get some stuff off my chest. Any assistance or words of wisdom would be great. (Also, recipes. I'm quickly growing tired of chicken, salmon and frozen veggies...)

Welcome and let us know if we can be of any help.

When I started the pre-op dieting and exercise program prior to surgery, one of the first changes I made was to go cold turkey on my 6 diet coke a day habit. This was a requirement for the surgery (no caffeine, no carbonated beverages) so I figured I would implement this change from the get-go. I lost 20 pounds on this change alone. I suspect this was due to the carbonation, microscopically expanding my stomach over the years. I suffered from a week of severe headaches and body aches from caffeine withdrawal. It is best to get this over with early because you don't want to compound this effect with recovering from the surgery.

I also began walking 30 minutes each day. This really helped with the recovery process. After I left the recovery room, I refused all pain medicine because my pain level was so low, in part because of the walking.

Welcome SevenLeafClover. I'm new to this forum as well. I haven't gotten a date yet, but I have started my nutrition classes. That's ha d enough. My biggest thing is snacking. It's hard to quit because I have my grandkids living with me and the are always eating something I want.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Welcome! I also live in Central Florida. I'm attending my last nutrition class on the 7th and hopefully should have a date soon. I've chosen the RNY. I've started changes already so hopefully it will be a little easier after surgery.

Welcome I'm new too. I started this journey in October 2014. Made almost all the way through the program and upper GI wasn't great so I was referred to a teaching hospital also due to other medical issues. The new hospital wanted me to do their program so their team could work together with my GI, neurourologist, urogynecologist etc. Last summer I started over again with the new hospitals program. Finally got a good EGD. 4th times the charm but failed the swallow study and was diagnosed with a motility issue. FINALLY got the all clear, did my last class and pre op stuff and have a 4/11 date! Long journey so far but glad it's finally happening. I'm craving carbs not sugar which was a surprise but found a few halfway decent Protein shakes. It's long, I apologize but it's been a long journey this far.

Hi everybody. I think I need to stop cold turkey with coffee, and snacking. My thing is when I snack, I'm eating applesauce, nuts-just a handful, fruit, and stuff like that. I really can't exercise b cause of my back. I tried to do a aerobics dvd, my back almost put me on bed rest. I had to start my pain MEDS again. I don't know what else to do. I haven't gained any weight, thank the Lord, I haven't lost. Just maintained. HELP PLEASE

Hi all! I am new to the forum as well. I started my journey in July 2015. I had my sleep study done and signed up for a weight management class which is required by my insurance which is Kaiser. I had to wait until November to start because the classes fill up fast. It was an 8 week class. After that I attended the orientation on January 27th. Then I had to have a hour appointment with the nutritionist and social worker for the program. I had that appointment on 4/20 and had my blood work done. Now I am waiting for the bariatric team to review my chart on 5/4 and call to set a consult with the surgeon. I have lost 41lbs since starting my class in November. I am so excited to get the call for my next step! Thanks for reading this and I am so glad I found this forum!

Hello and welcome!

Don't try to do aerobics just sit in a chair and do exercises like doing circle with your arms out do 10 reps 3 times back and fourth do twisting side to side and leg lifts do all 10 reps 3 times thats a start till u able to do aerobics

Sent from my SM-N910P using the BariatricPal App