Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bummed Out After Watching "My 600 Lb Life: Where Are They Now?"

They definitely aren't typical of most of us WLS patients...a lot of us have gotten, "Do you even weigh enough?" comments from others - these shows make people think you have to be as far gone as the people on them to qualify for surgery. Most people don't even know what a 40 BMI looks like. For a while *I* didn't think I qualified at a 43 BMI because of the inaccurate media representations of who gets WLS.

What pisses me off is not so much the size of the patient -- some folks really do get that big. It's the bizarre co-dependent enabler relationships that make recovery so very, very hard that I resent being showcased as typical of WLS patients' situations.

Ugh.

I watched the episode also. What I did like was the group meeting as they had many previously featured people there.

Joe, zsalyn, (I forget the wheelchair gal with her son who was fetching fast food a lot) it was nice to see them talking about their weight loss years after. Many gained, but still had kept off hundreds of pounds which is remarkable... Some may not have lived this long without Dr Now.

Some may have watched the 600 pound virgin. In 2009 this guy was over 600 pounds and lost 400 pounds without surgery. By 2012 he had gained over 300 pounds and weighed over 500 pounds. The people who had the surgery were more successful than the ones who didn't even if they are still overweight.

I also was disappointed with Melissa. Her problem seems to be the no good husband. I figured she would have divorced his tired butt.

Sent from my SM-G900V using the BariatricPal App

Yes, exactly! If it wasn't for the children I feel she would have left him a long time ago.

@@Proud2BMe Unless you plan on giving birth to 2 humans, you should be okay.

Melissa had 2 kids, and she is at home all day with 4 kids. Anyone would gain weight in that situation.

Ashley's legs look so painful. It seems like someone should be able to help her with them. Her legs are just a straight trunk.

Also I think Dr Now approach is flawed. The original plan he has them on 3 meals, no Snacks is not sustainable, and you can't eat enough Protein in 3 sittings to meet your Protein goals. Also there are better options on things to eat. They never seem to ever show people eating replacement items for food. I don't know if it is because of where these people live or because of their economic circumstances.

Also it really pisses me off when people claim that they are cooking for their family and they can't force their family to eat healthy. When I was growing up, you ate what adults cooked. You can make all kinds of healthy low carb meals. You can make low carb chicken nuggets and all kinds of items. These people on 600lb life never learn to cook and eat healthy.

Melissa it trapped in that sorry marriage. I guess food is a better option than heroin. She is depressed and self medicating with food.

These are good teachable moments though. Staying diligent matters.

My husband had a bypass 10 years ago in August. He went from 300 pounds the day of surgery to 165 pounds in a little over a year later. He settled at 185-190. He quit smoking a couple years ago and gained 25 pounds, which he promptly got back off. Maintaining can be done, it just takes a lot of work and diligence on the person's part. Also, although he still can't eat close to the amount he could before, he can now eat pretty normal portions. That means he has to be even more careful about what he's eating. That's why I always tell people that weight loss surgery is a temporary solution to a permanent problem. Sooner than later it becomes completely up to us to maintain our weight when it becomes less effective. People who don't understand that are the ones we see regain some or all of their weight back.

I watched it, too but I recorded it on DVR. It's sad Ashley relapsed after regaining weight after being overeating and her struggles with her excessive skin on her legs.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I think it all depends on everyone ... We know we have this tool and we have to train out brain to get back on track if we fall off the wagon! But is up to you not the surgery how you will be in 10 yrs!

I also was disappointed with Melissa. Her problem seems to be the no good husband. I figured she would have divorced his tired butt.

Sent from my SM-G900V using the BariatricPal App

Amen. Lmao

I think we all have to be very aware, those that we love the most can also revert to or turn into enablers as we progress further away from our surgery.

So we not only have to be vigilant with ourselves but sometimes our spouses. They forget easier than us how we became obese and feel like we achieved what we needed to and so now deserve some rewards.

It's a lifetime of change for all of us and our family's and friends.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Edited by ausmith

I think we all have to be very aware, those that we love the most can also revert to or turn into enablers as we progress further away from our surgery.

So we not only have to be vigilant with ourselves but sometimes our spouses. They forget easier than us how we became obese and feel like we achieved what we needed to and so now deserve some rewards.

It's a lifetime of change for all of us and our family's and friends.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

My spouse has never shoved any food down my throat. It's MY choice and mine alone what I choose to eat, not his. Why do you act like people are completely powerless to the forces of people asking you to eat certain foods? Because you aren't you know.

Wow. I don't think she was saying that at all.

Frankly I think your response came across as rather agressive and very out of proportion to the post you cited.

All things in life are not black and white. Most stuff falls somewhere in the shades of gray between.

Sent from my SM-N910T using the BariatricPal App

Wow. I don't think she was saying that at all.

Frankly I think your response came across as rather agressive and very out of proportion to the post you cited.

All things in life are not black and white. Most stuff falls somewhere in the shades of gray between.

Sent from my SM-N910T using the BariatricPal App

No, things aren't always black and white. But how can you even argue the fact that it all boils down to ultimately, it's our choices and ours alone that determine our success? There has to be some personal responsibility. Otherwise it's just a bunch of excuses, no?

I'm not a big advocate of the "Devil made me do it" defense.