Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Going back to work after gastric sleeve surgery

Hello Everyone,

I am new to the forum. I have been stalking post off and on for about a year or so. I have finally decided to do the surgery. I am looking to loose 60-80 lbs. I am 211 at 5'4.5". I would like to get down to 135-145. The last time I weighed 155, I was a size 4-6 due to a muscular build. I am trying to get lower this time not for size but for health. I have a health problem that effects my feet and joints. The less I weigh, the more mobility I will have. This is a big part of what led me to take the plunge. I will be a self payer in Mexico. Growing up I was a few hours from the border so I would go over for dental work, etc. Speak a great deal of Spanish. My question is about returning to work. I work only two days a week, Tuesday and Thursday from 12:30-3:20 p.m. Originally, I was going to have the surgery in May as I have about three weeks off. However, I was thinking that I might schedule it for a Friday in April as I don't have to go to work until Tuesday. This way I could get started sooner. I have a trip scheduled to France in August and their will be lots of walking. I figure an extra month may give me the advantage of a few extra pounds come August when I will be on my feet for hours at a time. What do you guys think? Bite the bullet and do it in April; or be patient and hold out until May? I would really appreciate your feedback. Thank you.

I don't think just a few days is enough time off. I went back at 15 days post-op and was still really tired. The pain and discomfort last about 3-5 days. The fatigue lasts a couple of weeks.

​It is difficult to predict how your recovery will be. I was off for only 5 days after my lapband removal, and took off 7 days after my Sleeve surgery. I was in no real pain, just tired. However, some people find that even 2 full weeks isn't enough time off... there is just know way of telling if you will have an easy recovery or not.

Would you be able to take those 2 days off if you didn't feel ready to go back? If not, I would just wait until May.

Thank you @JamieLogical and @ liannatx. I appreciate it. I could take a few days off, but I teach. It wouldn't be fair to the students as we only have a month before the exam. I guess I am just starting to get a bit anxious now that I have decided to do it. Seems it may be best to wait in case of complications or fatigue. Thank you!

I work 40+ hours a week @ a high-level activity job as a nurse. - I took 3 full weeks off...and felt fatigued for several days upon returning to work.

You don't mention what type of work that you do---just that it is very 'part-time'. -- If it involves lifting, pushing, pulling, twisting @ the waist or bending at all, I'd take the longer time off option you're able to manage.

You want to do right by your body & recover 100%---so you return to work able to give 100%, too.

Hello Everyone,

I am new to the forum. I have been stalking post off and on for about a year or so. I have finally decided to do the surgery. I am looking to loose 60-80 lbs. I am 211 at 5'4.5". I would like to get down to 135-145. The last time I weighed 155, I was a size 4-6 due to a muscular build. I am trying to get lower this time not for size but for health. I have a health problem that effects my feet and joints. The less I weigh, the more mobility I will have. This is a big part of what led me to take the plunge. I will be a self payer in Mexico. Growing up I was a few hours from the border so I would go over for dental work, etc. Speak a great deal of Spanish. My question is about returning to work. I work only two days a week, Tuesday and Thursday from 12:30-3:20 p.m. Originally, I was going to have the surgery in May as I have about three weeks off. However, I was thinking that I might schedule it for a Friday in April as I don't have to go to work until Tuesday. This way I could get started sooner. I have a trip scheduled to France in August and their will be lots of walking. I figure an extra month may give me the advantage of a few extra pounds come August when I will be on my feet for hours at a time. What do you guys think? Bite the bullet and do it in April; or be patient and hold out until May? I would really appreciate your feedback. Thank you.

I own my own business so a little different but I was up working on my laptop after waking up. My surgery was a Thursday morning and I flew back to Phx from San Diego on Saturday afternoon and drove myself home from the airport. Was back in a clients office on Tuesday as I normally would have been. Yeah I was tired but I don't have the luxury of paid time off.