Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New- couple questions

Soda/carbonated beverages/beer:
never again?

I usually have a small glass of champagne at Christmas -- but carbonation hurts me so otherwise I choose to avoid it.

Low carb diet forever?

For me, yes. If I stray from low carb, I end up on the slippery slope to regain, because for me high carb foods both cause cravings for more high carb foods and are super-easy to digest, meaning I can eat tons of them. Danger! YMMV.

No caffeine forever?

Depends on your team's plan for you and your choices. I went back to high-test coffee about 3 months after surgery and now drink more coffee than Water. Like, a lot more. So far so good.

I'm almost 5 years out and can drink small amounts of carbonated beverages. I don't dink them every day or even once per week. But I have had champagne , diet root beer, and sparkling Water. I have drank 1-2 cups of caffeinated coffee since 3 months out. I eat Protein first, some veggies or fruit, and then whole grains. Processed carbs don't fill me as well.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

*Note these are my answers in that I have personally gone through them. So please take that under consideration when evaluating my answers. But I would strongly urge you to error on the side of caution here and always consult with your doctor/surgeon and dietitian when discussing your meal plan options post surgery.*

Soda/carbonated beverages/beer:

It's better to error on the side of caution with this. I waited about 9 months to 10 months out before I tried drinking a soda again. The carbonation does bother you a bit and makes things inside the tummy feel weird. So I have kept my drinking of carbonated beverages down to an absolute minimum. In fact if I've had 10 sodas in the past 12 months then that would be amazing, seeing how before I had the surgery I was easily drinking 4 to 6 liters of diet Pepsi a day.

Now if I do have a soda, I usually will do bottle over a can soda. Let it go somewhat flat before consuming it. It cuts down the carbonation a bit and make me belch a hell of a lot less.

Beer I haven't had since the surgery so I have no comment on it. But alcohol in general I feel the affect of it very very quickly now. This ranges from hard stuff like whisky, bourbons, to more milder drinks like coolers and mixed drinks. And because it gets me buzzed/high so quickly I too keep that to a small amount of indulgence. Basically I've only had two drinks of alcohol so far this year alone. And I'm indeed a one and done guy now. One drink will last me the entire night, because I can feel the affect of it so quickly now.

Low carb diet forever?

Yes for the most part you are on a low to no carb diet for the rest of your life. Get use to eating Proteins first and everything else secondary. It takes a while to get use to but once you do it will become second nature. Now from time to time I may consume a piece of toast every now and then. Rice give me strong gas/bloating so I will rarely consume it. The safe carbs that I have been able to get down are crackers for the most part and toast. bread early on was indeed a no no and made me super sick.

After I had gotten sick a few weeks post surgery for trying to eat bread, I basically stayed away from it till about 9-10 months out. I waited till I was fine with eating more tougher forms of Protein (beef/pork/lamb).

No caffeine forever?

I drink medium roasted coffee. It has caffeine in it. I don't drink it every day but when I do drink it, I have no issues with it.

No carbonated drinks....ever. Honestly, once you get off them, you don't miss them. I got my family off of them as well and if they have one out somewhere or at a friends house or something they can't even finish it. It just tastes gross to them know.

I'm not a beer drinker, but I would imagine the same would hold true. Plus it's just a bad idea to drink your calories.

As for caffeine, the surgeon's advice on this is as varied as their zip codes. Mine said to avoid it because it can be an appetite stimulant. I have not avoided caffeine since about 1 month post op. I haven't had a problem with it at all.