Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Rita's Italian SF Ice? A glass of wine?

Hi all.....

A few questions.....

1. During the pre-op and initial post-op phrase....do you think Rita's SF Italian Ice would be considered a "clear liquid"? If so....what do you think about mixing in some of the flavorless (if I can find it!) whey Protein into it?

2. Has anyone had a glass of wine while banded? My husband and I belong to a wine club that meets monthly. And, honestly, it's really been a wonderful experience for us to do this together. We will be missing the one on August 10 because I am being banded. But, we don't want to miss any more than that! We do plan to go on the wine tasting tour (2 days) over Labor Day weekend---which is only 3 weeks after banding. Can anyone share their experiences with drinking wine while being banded? I'm especially concerned about the wine tasting trip since it's only 3 weeks after banding.

Thanks!!!!! Judi

I had a Rita's suger free Water ice the day after surgery. Well...I had 2 spoonfulls if that...LOL. It is a liquid. Same concept as Jello.....it melts. I got a small and 5 days later its still in the freezer 3/4 full. Its a nice treat.

I dont think wine would be a problem. I think it depends on your tolerance of wine...reflux, nausa...etc. Good Luck!!

I was banded on 7/17, had my 1st glass of wine 7/29....Although, I'd much rather have had a Corona!

It's encouraging to hear this. Did you have any problem tolerating it? Did one glass of wine have more of an effect on you banded as compared to pre-banding? I'm guessing you used the "small sip" method of drinking and did not have it with food. But, considering the much smaller amounts of food we are intaking, one glass is probably the most we can drink. In the summer and early Fall, I prefer whites. But, in the colder months, I choose deeper reds. I wonder if there is any difference in which ones we choose after we are banded. Not even sure if that's a silly question or not!!! Thankfully, I am not a beer drinker.....one bad experience with it as a freshman in college at a nasty basement frat party and I haven't touched it since. Even though our son is a master brewer (not as an occupation at the moment), I can't even stomach the thought of drinking his concoctions. Guess I'll have a good excuse once I'm banded!! But, in the summers I do crave a Tanqueray Gin & Soda with double lime every so often. I guess those are out.......:think:think:think DH drinks gin martinis. But, I never quite acquired a taste for them. Plus, they can be potent. I sure do like martini glasses though! Maybe I should start drinking my Protein shakes out of them.....that might help me through the next few days of my pre-op liquids!!! :paranoid:paranoid Although I would give up all forms of alcohol if that's what was necessary, it's *NOT* my preference. DH takes wine to an art form....both in making it and in selecting it. Wine is a big part of our life and is definitely a staple in our home. It's often the center of our entertaining and our travels.

Sorry for all the rambling about alcohol! I think this pre-op diet is making me more loopy than any glass of wine ever did!!!! :)

Tell me a few more wine stories everyone!!!! :paranoid

I drink wine in moderation - perhaps a glass with dinner 4 nights of the week or so. Maybe 2 glasses if I go out.

My DH and I also like to collect wine, belong to a club etc. Its like anything, dont overindulge but life's about enjoyment not punishing ourselves for being fat. There's lots worse hobbies to have!

Judi,

Ahhh..the old frat parties. We had quite a few frat houses in my neighborhood living in a college town. Those were pretty wild. I remember walking by those old homes, which were converted to frat houses not being able to wait til I was old enough to go...lol....

That happened to me with coffee brandy. It was not fun.

I find a nice red wine to be fine once in a while. I do not really feel the difference as far as getting too tipsy. I think the RNY patients would be the ones to really notice that.

I like your logos...you sound like a girly girl like me...lol.

Good luck. Hope everything goes well.

Nothing a good lipstick can't fix and the right hair gel!

Hi thinking,

I think the hardest part was actually making the decision to just do it. This board helped with that decision.

I think the second hardest part (but that is really a GOOD thing) is looking at something really good and not being able to eat it....yest. I went out with a friend for an ice cream..a treat I have not enjoyed in a very long time..and could only eat maybe 1/3 of it.

<p><p>Hi thinking, I was banded Jan 15,07. It is the best thing I have ever done for myself. I started at 259 and now I am 169 feeling great. I was in size 24/26 and now in 10/12. My goal right now is 150. For me the hardest thing to adjust to is not drinking with my meals. Every once in awhile i will take a drink while eating and it makes it really bad.</p></p>

I drink a glass of wine almost evey night. I am 6 weeks post surgery.They say this is a "lifetime" change, and relaxing with a glass is part of it, as long as I consider the calories, I guess.

On the nights out I want more (Friday socials, etc), I have switched to shot of Vodka with Crystal Light to control calories.

From Roxanne- " For me the hardest thing to adjust to is not drinking with my meals. Every once in awhile i will take a drink while eating and it makes it really bad."

Really bad, how? I was told not to drink during meals, but do so many times (habit), and have NEVER had any effect. I wonder why it is supposed to be bad, if it helps you fill the pouch and feel fuller anyway- isnt that the idea?

I love wine also.

But I also know that is part of my problem why I'm obese in the first place.

Wine at night has no way of burning off.

It is full of calories and unwated sugar.

If you have a glass you should have 1-2 glasses 3days aweek.

Not everyday.

I'm post-op and I really have to learn this.

I drink a glass about 4-5 nights a week myself so I understand the desire for it.:wacko:

I love wine also - my dietitican said not to drink empty calories but hey we have to live too - I have chose to drink wine 3 times since surgery and have never been able to finish a glass. It still tastes great tho and I will keep trying till I get that whole glass down :)

Thinking11 if you are even considering lapband - go for it. I am 3 weeks post op and I would not change a thing. I need to only change one thing so far and that is trying to stay off the scale. I keep thinking that I will stay off for a week but am still on the every day thing yet and I don't want to get hung up on that little black box again! It can be very depresing.