Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm paranoid because I'm doing so well, if that makes sense. :/

Okay bear with me...

I had GBP RNY one week ago. I've been doing great, feeling great, recovering great. Even with liquids, it was hard at first but now pretty easy to make goal. Today my doc put me onto phase 2, puréed. I was beyond ecstatic and went home to make a recipe I had seen online, a baked ricotta and marinara mush thing. My doc had warned me to take it slow with puréed and that it would take a while for my pouch to adjust. She said to start with 2 tbsp this week, advance to 3 the next and then do 4 max for the remainder.

Well with this first puréed deliciousness, it was like absolutely no problem to do 2 tbsp, and I curiously even tried to see if adding another would make a difference and I was easily able to do the 3rd! Is this normal???

I'm worried that my pouch is already too loose, it's a deep paranoia that maybe it isn't as small as other people's, it's weird. But I'm only one week out and I don't think I should be able to physically fit that much in, let alone for it to not feel uncomfortable :/

For those of you who aren't noobs, how much were you able to eat during the puréed phase? Am I beating myself up? It's weird to be complaining because something is too easy, but it's creeping a deep paranoia into my dumb little brain, and I just want to make sure everything is okay. Since it's SO okay, you know?

Edited by swizzle

Wow, it's good to hear someone in the same boat, it's been such an uneventful, easy, almost completely pain free situation all the way through that I've almost not wanted to say that for fear of being obnoxious. I could drink almost as much as I wanted right away, and I definitely have to stop myself now on puree phase (I'm a bit over 5 weeks out), it HAS seemed almost weird like he gave me a slightly larger stomach because I'm a big guy, I don't know. But anyway, so far (knock on wood, this has been a life changing breeze. The only thing I've noticed is that I have to eat, even puree, very slowly, "chewing" apple sauce and the like, and to separate drinking time from meal time in that 30-30-30 business, and then I'm fine, I could probably drink 100 oz of Water a day if I could stand it.... I've wondered the same thing, thanks for you post

I was the exact same way! My doctor didn't put me one a specific amount of purred, he just said you can start eating yogurt and such. I measured it out to make sure I was eating no more than 4 ounces because thats what my nut said.

I am almost 5 months out and I had a very similar experience. I didn't have any complications at all. It was easy for me to eat pureed foods- I limited myself. I even commented to my surgeon that I didn't feel restriction. That changed when I switched to chunky then regular foods. Once I started eating solids, I could feel the restriction. My doctor told me it is easier for the pureed/liquid to slide through whereas the solids take time. Restriction will come!

I felt that way at that stage too. Liquids, easy. Pureeds, easy. Soft foods, now I'm on regular as tolerated, you get full. My dad takes me out to eat cause I take care of him on weekends cause he had a stroke recently and needs help shopping. We go out to eat and I literally eat like 5 bites of regular food and I can't anymore. I'm a cheap date. It'll change. Liquids and liquidy foods just go through the pouch relatively easy without issues, other stuff stays in there for a little while. That's why I have no problem getting my Water in, because I can drink semi-large amounts and be fine.

I also had an easy recovery. I was able to eat the full amount allowed from the moment it was allowed. I am now just over 4 months out and on solid food, and the restriction is kicking in. I had times I felt full on soft foods and occasionally things that did NOT like me, but that has been worse as I have added in "real" food. I can eat steak, but not roast beef. I can eat fancy lettuce, but not iceberg. I can eat tuna, but not crab. I am still eating less than 1 cup of food each meal, but it has definitely increased. I still drink a Protein drink a day and am able to get all my Water and Protein.

At this point, I would just relax and enjoy the ride. Your pouch is likely fine. Just stick to your instructions from your NUT.

pam

It's good to know that a lot of people have easy recovering. I hope that it is the same for me.

Sent from my SM-G920F using the BariatricPal App

I was just wondering all this information! I've read that people get restriction when moving on to solids but wasn't sure the type of journey they've had. I've progressed through clears, full liquid and now on puréed without feeling restriction or any complications, I stop after a few tablespoons or 2 oz because that's what I was told and I have no hunger so no point to eat more than that! It's nice to read about people having a similar experience as me.

Thanks for all the feedback, guys!! I was so worried, so it's nice to see that it's not just me! [emoji4]

Meeee toooo!!!! My doctor had me on clear, then full liquids after my rny now im on soft foods. I can eat a whole scrambled egg with 2 teaspoons of refried Beans and salsa. Thats been my dinner every night for 5 nights now (just doing shakes for Breakfast and lunch) i can drink easily and eat with no problems at all. I have also been wondering if my new tummy was made too big.

Wow, really, I should have guessed that, JNT1, but it makes sense. In a way I look forward to some restriction, because the lack thereof was certainly part of what got me here in the first place. I like the idea of a built in governor.

I just had a convo with my nut today and she said she never had a case like mine where I couldn't stop losing. She told me to eat more nuts and such! Easy for me!

wow, 5, 11 and 139? You must be quite slim now.

I'm 6, 2" and now 208, and though I look thin in a lot of clothes I own, they are mostly baggy on me now so that makes me look even thinner, but here's the thing: yes, my face and neck DO look fairly thin but my waist isn't all that thin yet. Nobody 6, 2 at 208 is all that thin, the BMI (which I know is not the gospel) says I should be 190 to reach a BMI under 26... won't happen because friends and family will assume I'm dying I'll be so thin-looking.

I think I should stop worrying what others think and just go to a weight that feels good to me.

Man, what a strange "problem" it is to have, a doctor telling you to eat nuts...lol

wow, 5, 11 and 139? You must be quite slim now.

I'm 6, 2" and now 208, and though I look thin in a lot of clothes I own, they are mostly baggy on me now so that makes me look even thinner, but here's the thing: yes, my face and neck DO look fairly thin but my waist isn't all that thin yet. Nobody 6, 2 at 208 is all that thin, the BMI (which I know is not the gospel) says I should be 190 to reach a BMI under 26... won't happen because friends and family will assume I'm dying I'll be so thin-looking.

I think I should stop worrying what others think and just go to a weight that feels good to me.

Man, what a strange "problem" it is to have, a doctor telling you to eat nuts...lol

I'm not 139, that's how much I've lost but I'm not too far away which is why I want to stop losing.