Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein shakes - I'm not full!

Help!

so I've put on some weight and going back to Protein Shakes and the basics that I was doing before but Protein shakes don't keep me full! What do you guys add to it?

I've been using Protein Powder, milk, handful of spinach, 4 frozen strawberries, and 1 tbsp of benefiber and I'm really hungry within 2 hours! usually I have cottage cheese with berries and a few walnuts, but wanted to go back to shakes because of more protein.

Any suggestions?

My opinion: don't bother with shakes. They won't keep you full (or satisfied). liquid goes straight through your pyloric valve. What causes fullness or satiety is having that pyloric valve closed with food remaining in your stomach. Your pyloric valve will close to allow your stomach to start digestion if you eat meat and/or fibrous food such as green veggies. So, if you are looking for healthy food that will keep you satisfied for longer periods of time, look at unprocessed meats (chicken breast, turkey, tuna, lean beef, etc.) and green vegetables. They are lower calorie, lower carb, and higher Protein than Protein Shakes as well.

Also, just from the mental aspect of things: you may want to think about "full" vs. "satisfied" and that it is okay to *not* be full, even for long stretches of time. It is okay to be hungry! Hunger is unpleasant, but it is not an emergency. I find it helpful when I am feeling hungry and miserable to remind myself, "it's no fun to be hungry, but you can wait until your turkey Jerky snack at 4" -- something along those lines. I always plan my day of eating in advance so that I know how long I have to wait and it doesn't feel like such a crisis when hunger strikes. Good luck!

If you want to feel fullness, then eat dense Protein, like steak or chicken.

The shakes you are making have some hidden carbs in them that might be triggering your hunger, milk has carbs and sugar, 4 strawberries seems like a lot, one would add enough flavor and sweetness. You could use almond milk instead of milk and one strawberry.

The goal when you eat should be to feel satisfied not full.

Like @@Bufflehead said It is okay to be hungry. I eat at set times, I am not usually really hungry, I get bored at my desk and want to eat before my mid afternoon meal. Even if I eat a steak, I am not still full 2 hours later. food doesn't sit in your stomach that long, especially when your stomach is small.

You might want to think about why you want to eat and why you have regained and not think so much about feeling or getting full. Do you have triggers that make you want to eat?

I haven't used Protein Shakes since I was allowed solid foods. Since they just pass straight through my sleeve, I don't get any sensation of fullness from them. Instead I use low carb Protein Bars for supplemental Protein, because they make me feel fuller longer. But I agree with what the others have said: dense, lean meats are the best way to stave off hunger. I usually eat 5-6 time a day, on a schedule, so I am never having to go long without eating. If I do get some occasional head hunger, I'm usually not far off from my next scheduled meal or snack anyway.

I recently attended my first NUT class in preparation for WLS in the fall. In this class she talked about how to layer foods to keep feeling full and the blood sugar from spiking. For example: 2 slices of a whole wheat skinny roll or WW bread, grilled chicken breast, slice of avocado, lettuce and Tomato. The multi-grain bread and chicken take longer to digest, thus keeping you feeling satisfied longer. Other carbs like crackers, chips, etc digest more quickly leaving you hungry.

The meal plan I am to follow to prepare me for after surgery is 65 - 90g Protein spread out over 4 - 5 mini meals a day 3 - 4 hours apart. At each meal, I should have either a serving of whole grain carb or handful of fruit to go along with the Protein plus non-starchy veggies in any amount. 3 healthy fats, such as nuts, nut butters or olive oil are also allowed. The biggest rule is no snacking between meals. Eating between disrupts the digestion cycle and keeps your stomach from emptying fully between meals.

@@Airstream88

Eating bread might work before surgery, but after surgery you don't have the room for bread and a lot of people can't tolerate it. Eating bread would make it hard to get enough Protein in. Some people eat bread in maintenance.

I also noticed that a lot of programs include things not to scare people off, but when you talk to the Dr and nutritionist one on one, they tell you to avoid those things, even though they may be in the book. Most larger programs have more than one doctor and perform multiple surgeries so they include things that don't apply to everyone.

Post surgery fruit and bread are really unlikely to happen just for the simple fact if you put Protein first, you won't have room for them. So getting hooked on them as a crutch before surgery isn't going to be that helpful long term.

@Airstream88 @OutsideMatchInside Yeah, I'm 19 months post-op, been maintaining for 7 months, and I still don't eat fruit or bread. Just don't have the room if I'm going to get all my Protein in. That sandwich you described with the WW bread, chicken, avocado, lettuce, AND Tomato? Yeah right! To get 20 grams of Protein from chicken, you have to eat about 3 oz. No way am I eating 3 oz. of chicken two slices of bread (ha! just the thought is ridiculous) AND a bunch of veggies. I'll take my 3 oz. of chicken and be on my way, thanks.

Today, for lunch, I had half of a hamburger patty with some pepper jack cheese on it and ate half a pickle spear. Man was I regretting that half a pickle spear in the end! Why did I eat that? I was soooooo full.

I should have clarified that my NUT was talking about the long term - a year or more out from surgery, not in the year right after. Of course, it is always Protein first, then veggies, then grains (to include things like brown rice, farro, multi-grain bread, etc).

@@Airstream88

If you look at most long term successful people they don't eat bread or rice. Dieticians and nutritionists seem chained to the food pyramid even though it is setup the way it is because of lobbyists not nutritional needs.

If you think post op you are going to lose and maintain with grains, you might find that isn't the case.

Edited by OutsideMatchInside

@@Airstream88If you look at most long term successful people they don't eat bread or rice. Dieticians and nutritionists seem chained to the food pyramid even though it is setup the way it is because of lobbyists not nutritional needs.If you think post op you are going to lose and maintain with grains, you might find that isn't the case.

Yeah, there is just no real room for grains. I can eat stand-alone carbs sometimes, when I already have all of my Protein in for the day. But carbs with a meal just make no sense. Stuff like rcie, Pasta, and sandwhich rolls... there's no room to eat hose things WITH my protein and they aren't the kind of thing you'd eat alone for a snack if you've already made your protein goal. The closest I come is on my long run days for my half marathon training (when I have to run like 8+ miles straight) I will have one piece of multigrain toast with 2 whole tablespoons of Peanut Butter on it about a half hour before I run to give me a good boost of slow-burning carbs to fuel the run.

Yeah but you are marathon training and probably underestimating how many calories you are burning. You can eat quite a bit. The average person that posts here is going to barely walk.

If they were eating toast with Peanut Butter they would but posting about how the sleeve is a failure and they haven't met goal, and they have no idea why, all along never producing any receipts and food logs.

Yeah but you are marathon training and probably underestimating how many calories you are burning. You can eat quite a bit. The average person that posts here is going to barely walk.

If they were eating toast with Peanut Butter they would but posting about how the sleeve is a failure and they haven't met goal, and they have no idea why, all along never producing any receipts and food logs.

Yeah. That was really my point. Unless you NEED the carbs and extra calories because you are doing some sort of extreme fitness regime like I am right now, there really is no place in a bariatric diet for bread, Pasta, rice etc. Even when you are at goal and maintaining. We are definitely in agreement there!

I have the Lap band so experiences differ....,I have a Protein shake every morning for my Breakfast...

I have a hard time finishing it and have to force myself.

As far as what I put in it,...I start with a scoop of Protein powder for 35gms, 6-8 ozs. of either Water or almond milk, then I add whatever fresh ingredients I'm in the mood fdor....strawberries, banana, pineapple, Peanut Butter, etc, etc....mix and match...sometimes coffee goes good as well....

Throw it all in a blender with some ice....

You need the crunch and chew of foods to mentally signal that youve eaten. Some dry crackers with whole grain are good for feeling full if you crunch and chew them well. Too much runny sloppy food just doesnt fill you up.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using the BariatricPal App