Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Similar scars to sleeve surgery?

What are some other types of surgeries that have leave scars similar to bariatric surgery? I'm choosing to not tell a lot of people about my surgery, and I'm just wondering if (in the case of me actually feeling comfortable in a bikini this summer for the first time ever) there are any other surgeries that would leave scars similar to the 5 relatively small laparoscopic surgery scars?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I had gallbladder surgery years ago and that left similar scars

I think appendectomy leaves similar scars too

Edited by Sophie74656

I was going to say gallbladder. My sister had hers out and her scars are pretty similar to mine.

If you're a woman, fibroid surgery.

Thank you - I like it. I do not plan on telling my nosey coworkers WHY I am having surgery. Don't feel like dealing with the know it alls that feel the need to give their "just diet and work out" advise that works for them to get their extra 5-10# off. One of my other coworkers recently was sleeved and lost over 100# between the surgery and doing his part by being in the gym first thing every morning working out. "If he would have just gone to the gym every day, he wouldn't have needed the surgery." I told one of them the other day to go carry 100# of weights as they run on the treadmill and let me know how "easy" it is for them. They just don't get it and I don't care to involve them in any part of my journey.

I already had my gall bladder removed and had a hiatal hernia repair at the time of my initial lapband procedure (now going for revision to the sleeve). I have reflux issues, so I just read that I can blame that on fibroid tumors that will have to be surgically removed when the peanut gallery sticks their nose in.

Sent from my SM-G900V using the BariatricPal App

*when I had my gall bladder removed, my surgeon used the same incisions that I had from my lapband surgery.

Thank you - I like it. I do not plan on telling my nosey coworkers WHY I am having surgery. Don't feel like dealing with the know it alls that feel the need to give their "just diet and work out" advise that works for them to get their extra 5-10# off. One of my other coworkers recently was sleeved and lost over 100# between the surgery and doing his part by being in the gym first thing every morning working out. "If he would have just gone to the gym every day, he wouldn't have needed the surgery." I told one of them the other day to go carry 100# of weights as they run on the treadmill and let me know how "easy" it is for them. They just don't get it and I don't care to involve them in any part of my journey.

I already had my gall bladder removed and had a hiatal hernia repair at the time of my initial lapband procedure (now going for revision to the sleeve). I have reflux issues, so I just read that I can blame that on fibroid tumors that will have to be surgically removed when the peanut gallery sticks their nose in.

I had fibroid issues in the past and had laporoscopic (sp?) surgery about 10 years ago. I am also using that excuse for myself at work. the scars are higher for the sleeve than the fibroid but I'm sure it'll be fine. I'm more concerned about the excuse of being sore... still haven't quite figured out how to explain the rapid weight loss but they do know I've been on the liquid diet do hopefully it won't look too suspicious

Sent from my SM-G900T using the BariatricPal App

Beach season.....pool season.....shirtless season is coming soon.

In fact, this time next week I'll be in Cozumel and have no plans of wearing much more than a bathing suit and flip flops during the days.

If anyone inquires about the scars.....I'll roll with, "Was in a bar fight and lived". I don't have to disclose that it was an all-you-can-eat-buffet-bar and I lived. :D

Seriously....I have recently noticed that the scars from last October's VSG & hernia repair have faded and the whole region has shrunk. A tan has helped, too.

I've had two open umbilical hernia repairs and the scars were each 4" long and came together in an "L" below my navel. You can't even see them due to "beer gut shrinkage". The future plastic surgery will lop them off anyway.

I know that scars are less of a concern for a guy........but scars on women is something that I have never taken exception to. They are just reminders of your life experiences and something that you went through and are stronger for it. They don't define you by any means.

I think the feels about surgery concealment are more of a concern to patients in the very early days. After the results start showing up we all care less and less about the "secret" and just want to Celebrate for the results.

"Gallbladder" is the ticket!

I had mine out 4 weeks after VSG surgery. Same surgeon.

They really do look the same.

BTW, 19+ months later, I can hardly see any of the scars from either operation.