Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating after surgery

I am on day 12 after surgery.. I am wondering if I am okay to start trying to eat. Example- Soft beef taco with no lettuce? Spanish rice just a little?

anything? I am scared of getting a leak in my stomach

Eating will not cause a leak. Didn't your surgeon give you guidelines on advancing your diet? Mine has me on full liquids for the first two weeks, purees the second two weeks, and soft foods after four weeks. The other thing to remember is that what sounds good to your head may not feel good to your new tummy. It's important not to make it work too hard before it's fully healed. At day 12, the most I might think of trying are a spoonful or two of refried Beans with a little cheese. I'd probably thin the Beans with a little Water.

My RD told me to "treat your new tummy like a baby's. One new food at a time, and only a little at a time".

Edited by 2goldengirl

I am on day 12 after surgery.. I am wondering if I am okay to start trying to eat. Example- Soft beef taco with no lettuce? Spanish rice just a little?

OMG! I was just thinking how badly I can't wait too have a taco bell beef soft taco without lettuce. Let need know how you do with it when you have one.

Sent from my SM-G920V using the BariatricPal App

You could eat the meat, but the tortilla is a no go. At least probably not till maintenance or maybe buy the low carb tortillas at the grocery.

If you are 12 days out dreaming about taco bell, you have a rough road in front of you.

Make your own taco meat at home. I have chicken fajitas just the meat and veggies with sour cream and cheese in a bowl. I make it at home so I know what's in it.

Definitely follow your post-op food phases and program.

You have to think about two things: texture and nutrition.

My primary goals are Protein and fluids.

When I was on soft foods (three weeks post-op) I did have Taco Bell pintos and cheese (on the way home from one of my post-op appointments). Tortilla, ground beef, and rice were definitely not on my list of approved foods at day 12.

Like most here my Doc had me on mushies for the second two weeks; now I fee better about my 'cheating'...a few Laughing Cow cheese wedges, some queso fresco and a bit of salmon. My new stomach does most things well, except beef (feels like rocks in my belly) . Desiring a taco from Taco Hell so soon seems like you may need to evaluate your priorities. Plus, I doubt the beef, let alone the spices will feel good in your tummy

Edited by ironpoorer

I'm day 13 and I'm only allowed to eat small curtal cottage cheese 1/2 - 1 oz, egg whites1/2-1oz, suger free pudding, yogurt with no fruit or seed peels. Creamed Soups strained. Didn't your doctor give you a menu to follow

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I also can have refried Beans. But every thing is 1/2 oz -1 oz 2 max. But u get sick before u can get to more than an oz.

Thank you everyone for your advice! I would first like to start by saying I was NOT "day dreaming" about taco bell. I was simply asking for some

insight on other sleevers. I was expecting honesty but not rudeness. I am going to go ahead and remove myself from this "support group", because I was expecting kind people. I know there is one in every crowd but this was a little above and beyond that.

I'm hungry too. I'm 7 days post op and I want to chew on something. I was wondering if anyone "cheated" before there time? It's hard to do when you so use to eating. I've been asking people that I personally know that have had the sleeve lap or reroute and all have given me different answers but they are dare Devils lol how ever I can say when they did "cheat" it was very soft food like mash potatoes baby food smashed Beans etc and they are fine. I may cheat lol I'm really thinking about it cause this is torture lol

I think everyone thinks about cheat but it's not worth it. Why take a chance that you can cause some damage. If your doctor wanted you to eat ground beef at seven days out he would have gave you that on your diet. Stick to the purée foods.

I'd LOVE to eat something - I'm two weeks postop and had to go back to Clear Liquids. I am going to try some milk today. I'd really love to eat something I can chew, but I really don't want to go back to vomiting 7-8 times a day when my sleeve is telling me it hates Protein Shakes, KWIM?

Thank you everyone for your advice! I would first like to start by saying I was NOT "day dreaming" about taco bell. I was simply asking for some

insight on other sleevers. I was expecting honesty but not rudeness. I am going to go ahead and remove myself from this "support group", because I was expecting kind people. I know there is one in every crowd but this was a little above and beyond that.

Please point out the rudeness because I missed it. I thought people were being very kind to you. No one said, "HAVE YOU LOST YOUR FREAKING MIND????" Now THAT would be unkind.

I think it's important in the early days to follow your eating plan to the letter. When your stomach is fully healed and you are farther out, you can start making good decisions for yourself. Until then, trust your healthcare professionals.

At week 2, a lot of people are at the "full liquids" stage and some are at pureed foods. This means strained Soup, sugar free pudding, sugar free Jello, mashed potatoes, hummus, mashed avocado. Beef usually doesn't come into the picture until around 6 weeks or so.

@@breg, you asked a question. Everyone that responded has experienced Day 12, and knows how they felt, what stage they were in and how that intake responded to their bodies. Everyone is different, but there are many similarities. The post op dietary instructions are medically based on thousands of procedures. You may choose at any point to do things your own way, but there can be anything from mild discomfort up through death if guidelines are not followed. This is a vast treasure house of knowledge you have tapped into. Most people are willing to share their experience up to the point in the process that they are now. And many have questions for people that are farther along than they are. I hope you continue to ask questions, listen to the answers, and then make your own choices...here as well as in all other aspects of your life. I truly wish you the best with your new gift... the rest of your life.