Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I am in the process of doing my supervised diet for the gastric sleeve but even if my insurance approves me I still have to pay 40% out of pocket, plus deductible plus who knows what else. So i am looking into getting it done in Mexico because it will still be alot cheaper, can anyone give me any advice and what there thoughts and experiences are with gastric sleeve in mexico. Also i am really wondering how after care would work, especially if there is any complications, and would that be out of pocket also?

Sent from my SM-N910P using the BariatricPal App

I was sleeved on 3/8/16. I got the best doctor in Mexico, Dr. Illan. I booked threw Bill with Bariatric Pal Team MX. I have contact numbers is you wanna call and discuss with Bill. Dr. Illan and his staff were wonderful. The hospital was Florance. It was great. Don't let some of these groups fool you. Some of them operate in clinics and not hospitals. I chose the hospital that had an ICU in case of complications. Another reason I chose dr Illan is because he is an ER trauma surgeon! Yes he's a Bariatric doctor but he's an ER surgeon and I do believe he's chief of the hospital. Anyway.... He was better than any doctor I have ever had in the states. I will be glad to answer any questions you have. Bariatric Pal get a 10 star rating from me and my husband.

After care... My PCP will do blood work.... If I need a Bariatric specific doctor there are ones in the states that will take you on. I have had no problems!

I had my surgery in Mexico with Dr. Ariel Ortiz at Obesity Control Center. My advice for choosing a surgeon in Mexico is to research, research, research. Figure out what your priorities are in terms of cost, credentials, surgical center vs. hospital, etc. Then find the surgeons that meet those criteria. Then comb these forums and other sites for personal experiences from patients. If the sites allow, send private messages to past patients and ask then about their experiences as well.

Thank you all for the good advice, i have alot to think about and alot of research to do!

I was sleeved 3/8 by Dr Illan, through Bariatric Pal. I have only good things to say, check out my post op report on this site.

When choosing a doctor please chose a hospital too! Some are called hospitals and are nothing but clinics that are not set up for emergency situations.

I am getting sleeved in Mexico on the 29th, the reason I chose Mexico was because the cost was a lot cheaper and because here in Canada the wait list for weight loss surgery is about 2yrs which I didn't want to do. I did my research a lot and found Dr. Rodolfo Wilhelmy at the Mexicali Bariatric Center, I have read nothing but good things about him and the place.

Good luck in your research

When choosing a doctor please chose a hospital too! Some are called hospitals and are nothing but clinics that are not set up for emergency situations.

While it's true that surgical centers don't have full emergency services, that doesn't necessarily mean they are a bad choice. There are risks associated with choosing a hospital as well, such as higher exposure to infection and illness. You definitely have to weigh the pros and cons of each and decide what your preference is. If you do choose a hospital, I have heard good things about Hospital Angeles.

Personally, I chose a state-of-the-art surgical center, because of the more individualized and focused care and the fact that I was only exposed to other bariatric and plastic surgery patients.

Definitely do your research and make the decision you can be most comfortable with!

You right. I chose a hospital that had an ICU and proper monitors etc. I wanted to know that if an emergency arose I would not have to be transported to another facility to get appropriate care. The hospital I used was florence. I was not exposed to any patient that was not Bariatric. They have their own wing separate from other patients.

I had my done in the states an my friends had there's done in Mexico an the only difference I can see was the fact I have a doctor here. An they paid half my price.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I had my surgery in Mexico with Dr. Ariel Ortiz at Obesity Control Center. My advice for choosing a surgeon in Mexico is to research, research, research. Figure out what your priorities are in terms of cost, credentials, surgical center vs. hospital, etc. Then find the surgeons that meet those criteria. Then comb these forums and other sites for personal experiences from patients. If the sites allow, send private messages to past patients and ask then about their experiences as well.

I am considering going through dr. ariel ortiz. Did you go through bariatric pal or directly through him?

I am considering going through dr. ariel ortiz. Did you go through bariatric pal or directly through him?

I went directly through OCC. I don't believe BariatricPal is currently affiliated with him, but I could be wrong.

I had my done in the states an my friends had there's done in Mexico an the only difference I can see was the fact I have a doctor here. An they paid half my price.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I have a Bariatric doctor here too. I secured one before I left in case I had any problems when I got him. He understood why I went Mexico. So far I am two weeks out and I have had no problems. It was just way cheaper and I knew people that had done it. Oh and I follow up with my PCP.

LOVE IT !!!!!!!

Great Idea im going tell my surgeon or ask him will he still see me if going to Mexico. Im sure he will understand too. thanks MOEJOE getting ready to call my insurance to find out something.

arrgggggg