Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stopped losing at 11 months post op

Just seeing if you all had any suggestions because I can't seem to get this stupid scale to move? Been stuck in the mid to upper 220s and trying to get out of the 220s. I've tried liquids and Fiber and nothing seems to budge the scale. I'm at a loss. I have my 1 year post op appointment next month and I at least wanted to be down to 209. My docs goal for me is 180 and I'm no where near that.

What works for you all? Any advice is welcome because I need to get this scale to moving.

Are you tracking every bit of food that goes in your mouth? Are you drinking your Water? Are you in a general good range for calories? If you're eating too many or too few calories, you'll stall. Are you eating high Protein, low carb?

If you're not tracking your food, start back on it ASAP and don't just eyeball things; make sure you're weighing/measuring because portion sizes are one of the biggest issues in the beginning and can become a problem if you stop paying attention to them down the road.

Are you measuring yourself? Because sometimes when the scale numbers don't move, you might be losing fat and gaining muscle - so you absolutely should be taking measurements each month. A pound of fat is way bulkier than a pound of muscle, and your body might just be "stalled" when in reality its working really hard at exchanging fat for muscle...

Without more details however, we can't help you much. ;)

Ok so I'm getting in at least 50 oz of Water a day. I'm getting Protein through food. For example for Breakfast I'll have scrambled eggs and 2 slices of turkey bacon. For lunch I'll eat a PB&J sandwich and for dinner I'll eat chicken, fish or beef. No potatoes or rice only vegetables. I'll also have a few Snacks. Now I can honestly say that I've been really feeling hungry all the time and been having at least one sugary item. I crave sugar a lot and Trying to find other alternatives to get my fix. I'm thinking about going back to a liquid diet consisting of water, protein, sugar free Jello, Popsicles and chicken broth just to reset my pouch for 3 days. Do you all think that's a good idea?

First, you need to get more Fluid. 50 oz is low. My target is at least 64 oz and I am usually well over that.

What is your Protein target? Are you reaching that target every day?

Embrace the Stall!

http://BariatricPal.com/index.php?/topic/351046-Embrace-the-Stall

My advice:

--ditch the "sugary item." It will be hard at first but eating sugar is what is making you crave more of it. When you are hungry between meals, eat some turkey Jerky. Not to mention the extra calories are hindering your weight loss.

--PB & J sandwich? No, no, no. Carbs and calories galore. Honestly this right here may be what is sabotaging your weight loss as much as the sweets. Switch to something like deli meat rolled in lettuce leaves, or chopped chicken breast with green veggies and some light salad dressing.

--it doesn't sound like you are tracking your food intake. Try it at least for a couple of weeks. Don't eyeball your portions, weigh and measure them.

--going back to liquids isn't going to help you unless you are willing to make changes after the few days you do it. That said, a couple of days of break from your regular eating patterns can be really helpful for lots of people. I would say, when you do it, stay away from artificial sweeteners as much as possible -- for many people, they cause sugar/carb cravings just like regular sugar does. It won't do anything to "reset" your stomach/pouch, but it can help re-set your mind, if that makes sense.

Good luck!

Speaking from great experience ;) I will confirm that if you are craving sugar you are already eating sugar.

Really.

Admit it.

Stand up and testify!

;)

The best thing you can do for yourself is track your food. Until you do, you really have no idea of the macro nutrients.

The Peanut Butter has some Protein however the jelly and bread basically turn to sugar. That in itself can cause you to crave that sugar.

If I were in your shoes I would do the pouch test to simply rid your body of the sugar habit. And track what you consume in my fitness pal.

When you begin eating again, follow the same plan you did after surgery. Start with soft foods and make sure you are truly high Protein, low carbs.

Not sure but I suspect you are truly not close to your protein goal which will help you lose weight. You are most definately upside down eating more grams of carbs and less protein will stall or stop your weight loss.

What are your portions like? I am 18 months post op and could never eat a whole pb&j sandwich. I have had a piece of whole grain toast with Peanut Butter on it and was only able to eat 2/3 of that one slice.

Are you not drinking 30 min. Before and 30 minutes after you eat? If you have broken that rule you may find yourself hungrier as well.

The good news is, you still have your tool. You just need to start fresh as if you had surgery today.

I wish you the best of luck! You can do this! I know it's possible because I reached my goal today! There have been plenty of times where the rules start to slip for me and I stall out. The good thing is you recognize the problem and can do something about it!

Now I eat small portions that I know I can finish. I don't stack my plate like I used too. I definitely don't eat and drink. I'm still on the 30/30 rule. If anything I know I'm sticking to that. Protein drinks not drinking like use to. I prefer to get my Protein by meats and eggs. Now the PB&J I eat are the uncrustables you buy from the store. There little sandwiches shaped like circles and are usually for kids. I eat 1 sandwich.

This morning I had my usual scrambled eggs and 2 slices of turkey bacon. Drunk about 40 oz of Water before lunch and for lunch I had baked chicken nuggets. So far, so good. And if I get hungry before dinner should I try some tea and lemon w/ no sugar, or chicken broth?

@@leag78 I would try ditching the processed carbs altogether... Were the baked nuggets breaded? I'd ditch the uncrustable altogether. I'm sure it's not providing the kind of nutrition you need. As far as Snacks go, try a sugar free Jello, a low sugar yogurt, string cheese, slice of lunch meat, boiled egg, or a couple baby carrots or mini peppers. I find that I have greater success with "real food".

You are definitely not getting enough Protein.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using the BariatricPal App

Like others said, tracking and measuring everything is going to be the best way for you to get a grip on your macros and figure out exactly where you need to make changes. Even if you really really don't want to, if you really really want to keep losing you will. However, I'm not a tracker, so I kind of get where you're coming from. So here are some very basic rules that could be a good place to start.....

1) 64 oz Water every day. And that's a minimum.... I usually get 80-100oz. The basic chemical process to metabolize fat requires H2O. Without an ample supply, the fat is simply going to sit there.

2) 60g Protein every day. Again, this is a minimum. Many programs have goals of 80+. Now this does require a certain amount if tracking...I just tally it in my head. Read labels and look up nutritional info online if you don't have a tracking app like my fitness pal. My easy fix is I eat a Quest bar and I have a Protein smoothie everyday. That's 40-50g of protein right there. All the "real" food I eat is bonus protein, and I know I'm well over the 60g mark every day.

3) unless it's a non starchy vegetable, never eat anything that contains more carbs than protein. Again, this takes a bit of nutritional education. You need to read labels and look things up online if you don't have a tracking app. If you must snack, go for raw veggies, Jerky, Protein Bars, or Greek yogurt (again, read labels as some have more carbs than protein)

I've been doing this for over two years and after reaching goal I made it a point to add in more whole grains and fruit, but while you are still losing, it needs to be all about Water, protein and veggies. Oh yeah, and don't forget to take your Vitamin supplements every day.