Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone else having trouble drinking coffee?

I've been getting a bit of an upset stomach (I'll spare the details) and it took me a while to find a connection, but each time it seems to be within an hour or so of drinking coffee. Even a few sips of it seems to mess with my tummy.

Does anyone else have this problem?

I'm thinking I'll have to stick with tea from now on, which makes me sad even though I love tea!

How far out from surgery are you? I wasn't allowed coffee until 30 days post-op and then only one cup a day heavily diluted with cream until I could slowly work my way up to more. Coffee is very hard on the stomach and some surgeons don't even ever allow it post-op. If it's causing you issues, definitely just try to cut it back out again.

Are you drinking Decaf or regular coffee? If you are drinking regular tea, then it probably isn't due to the caffeine.

coffee can be a little acidic, they do make a "low acid" coffee. Maybe that might work for you.

Also, keep in mind if it is due to caffeine, many teas and other beverages contain caffeine too.

I'm eight weeks out @@JamieLogical so definitely at a stage it should be okay

I'm talking all different kinds. Decaf and caffeinated. Ground and instant. Store bought and from various coffee places. I don't have it strong either - in the UK we tend to use instant coffee more and I don't use Creamer, I use milk (hate coffee creamer) so even though I'm in the US at the minute I mostly have instant coffee with fat free milk from Whole Foods. I also have it pretty milky with no sugar.

I'm drinking regular tea every day - English Breakfast Tea - without any problems (thank god!) so it must just be the acidity of the coffee like you suggested @4MRB4PHOTO.

Sucks. Maybe I'll take a coffee break and try it again in a few weeks!

I'm eight weeks out @@JamieLogical so definitely at a stage it should be okay

I'm talking all different kinds. Decaf and caffeinated. Ground and instant. Store bought and from various coffee places. I don't have it strong either - in the UK we tend to use instant coffee more and I don't use creamer, I use milk (hate coffee creamer) so even though I'm in the US at the minute I mostly have instant coffee with fat free milk from Whole Foods. I also have it pretty milky with no sugar.

I'm drinking regular tea every day - English Breakfast Tea - without any problems (thank god!) so it must just be the acidity of the coffee like you suggested @4MRB4PHOTO.

Sucks. Maybe I'll take a coffee break and try it again in a few weeks!

I just started having regular coffee this week. at first it bothered me a lot, I thought OH NO. boo. I had mixed it with vanilla Protein drink, and I had done that pre op with no issues. so the next day I tried it with my regular creamer and no problems at all.

these new tummies can be odd at times and we have to play with them to figure out what will work and when.

Woah. How'd that happen?!

You're right @@Christinamo7 these new tummies are funny

A part of me is wondering if it's worse at the minute because instant coffee here is not as nice as instant coffee at home...it sort of tastes wheat-y to me, if that makes sense.

Ground coffee here is better but I'm rubbish at not making it too strong. I'll just stick with my tea and try to ignore the nice coffee smells all around me - argh!

Edited by Athenyx

Are you drinking dairy with the coffee? My stomach can't handle regular milk or some almond and soy brands, so while I thought I was originally getting sick from my coffee, turns out it was the milk in it that caused the problem. As soon as I switched to skim, I had no more coffee issues. Also, it took awhile before my stomach tolerated any kind of sugar, which contributed to an initial feeling that I couldn't do coffee because I get a drink that has fat free caramel Syrup (fake sugar but my stomach doesn't like it).

I have fat free milk here (skimmed at home) but I have no problems with drinking glasses of it, or any other dairy - I'm a big cheese lover too. I don't put any sugar in my coffee and I don't get Syrup if I get it when I'm out. It's definitely the coffee itself. I managed to find some Nescafé Original in a store today, which is more like the brands I'm used to - at home I have Kenco Smooth but I haven't seen that here anywhere. Tomorrow I'll try the Nescafé but if it upsets my tummy again I'm gonna have to give it up for the foreseeable future.

I love coffee - but thankfully, keeping with British tradition , I'm an equal lover of tea so it's not so bad.

Just give it time. Every day post op is another day for your body to adjust. I'm almost 14 months out now and I drink one 8 oz cup of coffee almost every morning (with half and half and stevia). As your body heals and adapts, things that bothered you before slowly get better. My sister in law is 6 years post op bypass, and she couldn't have milk for the first 4 years, at all. Made her so sick. She just kept giving it a chance every 6 months or so, and lo and behold - she can have milk in small doses now :)

It was a sad realization when I figured out that coffee is probably going to be an issue for my tummy forever. Before surgery, if something bothered my stomach I would push it and keep eating or drinking the culprit until I could tolerate it...that's probably one big reason why I gained weight so easily, by NOT listening to my body's ques.

I can enjoy a half a cup of coffee watered down or iced coffee in moderation. The watering it down makes it more tolerable for me. Sometimes my body just doesn't want to tolerate it at all. I guess I am still a glutton for punishment.

At 8 weeks out I believe I was still drinking it with a good bit of Fairlife milk mixed in.

Now....at 5 months out I pretty much drink it the way I did before, though just not as much per day: Splenda and a shot of sugar-free Creamer.< /p>

Others are right ... what doesn't work 8 weeks post-op may very well work fine down the line.

I'm 19 months post-op and have cut WAY down on coffee, compared to what I drank pre-op (at least 2-3 cups a day).

When I get up, I have half a cup of strong coffee with half a cup of heated skim milk -- a homemade skinny latte. At 3:00 pm I have another skinny latte (same recipe).

And, thus far, I've had no coffee-related problems I'm aware of. Fingers crossed this continues. :)

There was a previous thread about coffee, and one poster said cold-pressed coffee has something like 67% less acidity. I decided to try it, because I drink my coffee black, and even pre surgery it's making my stomach turn if I don't eat Breakfast soon enough. Plus, my bariatric group recommends giving up coffee before AND after surgery forever! I cut down to one cup pre surgery (no date yet, but hoping April/May,) and I wanted to try the cold-pressed for afterwards.

It is delicious! Strong, but not acidic. I had a cup of regular joe hot, and I'm already not used to the acidity anymore.

Maybe give cold-pressed a try? I microwave it to make it hot.