Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How many calories are we supposed to eat per day at 2months?

There really is no "we" in the world of post-wls, unless you are talking to someone who had the same surgery with the same surgeon and the same bariatric team. When I was at your stage my limits were 800 calories and 60 carbs per day. For your limits, you probably want to contact your own bariatric team.

There are some teams out there that refuse to give their patients calorie limits and tell them just to focus on Protein and liquid instead -- your team may be one of them. Personally I think those teams are doing their patients a huge disservice, but I guess it's an approach that works for some people.

I was never given any sort of calorie target, just told to get up to 100g of Protein a day as quickly as possible post-op. At 2 months I was probably around 800 calories a day and working my way up as best I could so I could start exercising more intensely at 3 months. I really tried to get up around 1100 calories a day before I started running, biking, and strength training.

PS: I just want to say that getting my calories up and eating enough to sustain my level of exercise really seems to have kept my metabolism from doing a nose-dive. I'm now a little over 18 months post-op, having reached my goal weight right at the one year mark. I'm training for a half marathon and started wearing a FitBit Blaze with a built in heart rate monitor a little over 2 weeks ago. When I got the FitBit, I decided to track my food for a bit to see how my calories in versus calories out were matching up and I have to say, the FitBit site has shown that my metabolism is dead-on with their algorithms. I'm not trying to lose weight anymore, but it's tough getting in enough calories now that I'm doing this half-marathon training. In the time I've had the FitBit, I've had a total calorie deficit of 5992. And on the scale I've lost about a pound and a half, so that is right where it's supposed to be.

I've read people on these forums who have to only eat like 1200 calories a day in maintenance. On days I don't do cardio, I need to eat closer to 1900 calories and on days I do my cardio, I have to eat 2300-2500! So my metabolism is obviously still going strong.

I think if you restrict your calories too much for too long, your body becomes accustomed to the lower caloric intake and you will ultimately have to eat fewer calories to maintain once you are at goal.

Hi,

I actually asked this question around 5 months post op. I got mixed answers and felt ashamed that I was getting around 1000 and was told here that I should "only eat 500-700".

It really messed me up and I instantly felt like a failure. I was losing at a steady pace with the 1000 calories I was consuming. I went to a follow up with my surgeon the next day and he told me how impressed he was that I had already lost 65% of my expected weightloss. I then asked him about my calorie consumption and what I was told on here. He said " your metabolize is speeding up and as long as I'm making smart food choices ( getting my Protein and veggies and keeping things balanced) the calories aren't an issue. I was relieved, but also felt like a failure because of what I was told on here.

I'd contact your nutritionist or dr to see what's right for you. We're all different.

There is fantastic support on here and I have gotten the best answers I could ever ask for. This is a place for help and you will defiantly get it :)

But this question I should have directed straight to my surgeons office.

@@tfarr Those people who are restricting to 500 calories 5 months post-op are the ones that are only going to be able to eat 1100-1200 calories a day in maintenance. You are MUCH better off consuming more calories and staying active, so you don't wreck your metabolism.

Just reading through & I really don't know my recommended calories per day--my goal is 60-80g Protein & 64 oz liquid, but what about calories??

I didn't have a calorie "limit".

I had/have a Protein target (100 grams) and a liquid target (at least 64 oz.).

I avoid starches and added sugars. I do not eat anything fried.

Doing that keeps my calories in a good range.

Just reading through & I really don't know my recommended calories per day--my goal is 60-80g protein & 64 oz liquid, but what about calories??

I didn't have a calorie "limit".

I had/have a protein target (100 grams) and a liquid target (at least 64 oz.).

I avoid starches and added sugars. I do not eat anything fried.

Doing that keeps my calories in a good range.

*Metabolism

Hi,

I actually asked this question around 5 months post op. I got mixed answers and felt ashamed that I was getting around 1000 and was told here that I should "only eat 500-700".

It really messed me up and I instantly felt like a failure. I was losing at a steady pace with the 1000 calories I was consuming. I went to a follow up with my surgeon the next day and he told me how impressed he was that I had already lost 65% of my expected weightloss. I then asked him about my calorie consumption and what I was told on here. He said " your metabolize is speeding up and as long as I'm making smart food choices ( getting my Protein and veggies and keeping things balanced) the calories aren't an issue. I was relieved, but also felt like a failure because of what I was told on here.

I'd contact your nutritionist or dr to see what's right for you. We're all different.

There is fantastic support on here and I have gotten the best answers I could ever ask for. This is a place for help and you will defiantly get it :)

But this question I should have directed straight to my surgeons office.

@innercirclegirl

I agree. But boy, it was so depressing when I was told that, by 3 different people actually