Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am getting so nervous about the procedure. Does anyone have any advice on how to get through it? If you could do it again, what would you do differently?:guess

I am sorry you are getting nervous but I think its perfectly normal .

I cant say there is anything I would have done differently ... I did not get nervous until the day of surgery , I was sitting in the room waiting to go into surgery , they had me in a recliner and they told me " Dr Rincon wants you to have 2 liters of saline ran through you before you go in " I remeber looking up at those bags and thought " OMG This is going to take FOREVER " They started telling me everything that was going to happen next and my husband said all the color was draining out of my face . LOL I really started to get nervous , but i think it was more anxious . Just kind of get it over w/ already I have waited 2 yrs for this now i have to wait for this damn saline to run through me .

Then finally they came and put me on a stretcher and said " This might make you a little light headed" I told dh i loved him and that was all I remeber until I woke up LMAO . I dont regret it , nothing I can say I would do different, Sure had a few second thoughts leading up to it . But NOT now and I am only 3 weeks out of surgery .

Hang in there. You can do this .Feel free to PM me if you like

Love

MIndy

I just had surgery yesterday (8/3). I did not go to bed when I came home. I made it a point to drink plenty of Water. I also got up and walked around about every 30 minutes. I felt fine all day. A little sore when you get up and down, but not that bad. I did find I kept moving around a bit in my sleep to get comfy.

Today, I have no pain still. I do have pressure I think it is gas. But I have been doing plenty of walking. My body is not hungry at all, but I do find I have head hunger.

Oh, and by the way it took me 2 1/2 hours to get down an 8-ounce Protein shake this morning.

I have not had to have any pain medication. I think it is all the moving around.

GOOD LUCK!!;)

I just had surgery yesterday (8/3). I did not go to bed when I came home. I made it a point to drink plenty of Water. I also got up and walked around about every 30 minutes. I felt fine all day. A little sore when you get up and down, but not that bad. I did find I kept moving around a bit in my sleep to get comfy.

Today, I have no pain still. I do have pressure I think it is gas. But I have been doing plenty of walking. My body is not hungry at all, but I do find I have head hunger.

Oh, and by the way it took me 2 1/2 hours to get down an 8-ounce Protein shake this morning.

I have not had to have any pain medication. I think it is all the moving around.

GOOD LUCK!!;)

I felt fine the day I came Home as well . I didnt sleep either. The 3rd day for me was the worst and only day i felt pain.

I was up walking around my house all week. As for hunger ,,, I didnt really get hungry until the saturday after my surgery and I had surgery on Monday . I made sure like Kermit said and drank all the time .. But hunger didnt set in until after about a week .

The only time I has soreness or pain was like Kermit said getting up and down , I found that it went a lot better if I had my husband pull me up and I did not use stomach muscles at all.

HTH

Mindy

I felt fine the day I came Home as well . I didnt sleep either. The 3rd day for me was the worst and only day i felt pain.

I was up walking around my house all week. As for hunger ,,, I didnt really get hungry until the saturday after my surgery and I had surgery on Monday . I made sure like Kermit said and drank all the time .. But hunger didnt set in until after about a week .

The only time I has soreness or pain was like Kermit said getting up and down , I found that it went a lot better if I had my husband pull me up and I did not use stomach muscles at all.

HTH

Mindy

Oh and I might add too I had to be at the hospital at 530 am I think i slept about an hour the night before surgery LOL.

I think its totally natrual to be nervous and jittery , Things will be just fine

I dont know if you mentioned ,,,, when is your surgery just want to loose ?

MIndy

I had surgery yesterday 8/3 too. I was really nervous but it went perfectly. I tried to go to bed when I got home but couldn't stay there. I felt really pretty good. Today I have had some pain especially when getting up and down. And, even though they told me I would feel full I don't. In fact I feel hungry and my stomach has growled a few times. I just had some chicken noodle Soup broth so that has helped. My incisions look really good too. I'm planning on being back at work on Monday and if things continue to go this well, I'm sure it won't be a problem. Good luck and I agree it is normal to be nervous but it only lasts till you get in the room and then it will all be fine.

Yeah by time you get into the room your in la la land anyway and your feeling no pain, I dont even remeber getting into the OR . LOL

Mindy

Hey Guys! Thanks so much for all of your input and advice. I really appreciate it! Mindy - I haven't "officially" scheduled the date yet.

I have to have a sleep study (next Friday) and bloodwork (Monday

Aug 13th) and then go back to see the surgeon to set the date.

But they know I want to do it at the end of this month. So, I am

trying to get the ball rolling.

Hey Guys! Thanks so much for all of your input and advice. I really appreciate it! Mindy - I haven't "officially" scheduled the date yet.

I have to have a sleep study (next Friday) and bloodwork (Monday

Aug 13th) and then go back to see the surgeon to set the date.

But they know I want to do it at the end of this month. So, I am

trying to get the ball rolling.

I had a sleep study several yrs ago for my sleep apnea. Its a breeze a little weird to try to sleep w/ those wires attached to you but its fine for one night. You will see once you have your date it will fly by . I got my date and went " WAIT a minute Am i REALLY ready for this " LOL Then I couldnt wait .

Let me know when your date is

Love

Mindy

I had my surgery on 7/31 (after having it postponed from 6/19-They called me the day before and told me a test came back abnormal-it was fine at retest, but I went thru the whole 2 week liq diet twice) anyways, I had to be there at 6:00 am for a 7:30 surgery, I didn't get nervouse until I got to the elevator. When I got to the waiting room I didn't even get to sit down, they just took me right to the surgery prep area. They started an IV, called my husband and daughter in, dd is almost 3 but it was way to early to take her to daycare first because I had to leave my house before 5:00 am. That went by quicky, but I had my husband leave me earlier cause dd was getting restless so they went to get something to eat. They had me pee one more time. I met my or nurse, the anestesiologists, and saw my surgeon 1 more time. I took the gas/oxygen and barely remember the lights in the OR.

The next thing I remember was waking up in recovery asking for ice, which they gave me plenty, and it was very much needed. I waited 3 hours for a bed but I must have slept part of that time cause it went by quick. I finaly got a room and a few hours later my surgeon came in and said they usually keep band pt's overnight but I could leave if I wanted. I did decline, but It was great to know I did so well that I COULD leave. No real pain, but I did and am still taking my pain meds (occasionally now, but none today so far. and the gas pain was not too bad. Thanks to whoever said to get down on your hands and knees, rest a pillow under your belly and raise your butt in the air, lol, it really does work though. I have not had any problems drinking at all, and have to remind myself to sip, not gulp. Anyways, thats how my surgery went, and hopefully it will go as smoothly for you and all.

Lisa

Thank you all for the reassurance! I am having surgery on the 13th. Anxiety has set in. I have never had any type of surgery before, so the fear of the unknown is frightening. I have given birth 3 times, but that is different. I am kinda a control freak, so knowing I will be knocked out freaks me out, too. I trust my doc completely, though. That makes it easier! Good thread!

Thank you all for the reassurance! I am having surgery on the 13th. Anxiety has set in. I have never had any type of surgery before, so the fear of the unknown is frightening. I have given birth 3 times, but that is different. I am kinda a control freak, so knowing I will be knocked out freaks me out, too. I trust my doc completely, though. That makes it easier! Good thread!

You know how after you give birth you forget how painful birth was at the time and you just remember the great parts of the birth and how wonderful it is to have a baby now ??? THATS exactly how getting the band is . At least for me. Even though its only been 3 weeks since my surgery I have forgotten the pain and I just remember the great part of having the wonderful band .

I too am a control freak and the best thing i can tell you is if you trust your surgeon just give the control over to him . Being a control freak myself something that helped me is watching a lap band surgery , ( I also like the medical stuff so that interests me too ) If you havent done it if you think you can handle it it might help. Why u might ask ? Because you will KNOW what is happening . It helped me to know .

If you dont want to know then dont watch . But I wanted to know everything.

Anyway , I HTH

Mindy

Thanks Mindy! I had 3 very dramatic and loooooonnnnnnnggggg birth experiences, so I know this surgery is gonna be easier! (At least I won't be doing the work!)

I have watched part of a banding surgery. I will try to watch an entire one sometime soon. Only 8 days to go!!!!!!!!

First off, I've been under the knife for several abdominal surgeries and the laparoscopic procedure was COMPLETELY different. I didn't have the feeling that my guts had been invaded at all. (When you have abdominal surgery you kindof feel like someone has closed you up with purse strings that are all attached to internal stuff...everything kind of pulls and is tight...this was nothing like it.) It was just a slightly sore feeling, more local/topical than internal. For me, luckily I had been on the website for a few months and was VERY aware of the potential for the gas pains which was the single and ONLY discomfort I felt and I was anticipating them and prepared and knew what to do...and that can be remedied/lessened considerably if you follow the gas pain rules.....walk walk walk walk walk walk and last of all....walk more. I found that I bounced back from this surgery SUPER fast. I felt HUMAN on the 4th day, was back to work on the 7th, and within two weeks I felt pretty much normal.

I agree I would say the worst part was the gas pains up in my shoulder.

I had one day like i said my 3rd day of surgery that was quite painful.

I walked and walked around my house and up and around my drive way .

Really it is not bad at all. Its going to be fine and what we are all saying and what your reading is the best advice, we have all been through it.

Love

Mindy