Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I ate sugar today for the first time--and I didn't dump. Not happy!

One of the reasons I chose the RNY was because you're not supposed to be able to handle sugar. I'm a sugar addict so that was a big plus for me! It's been 3 1/2 months since my surgery and I haven't had any sugar. Hubby baked St. Patty's shamrock sugar Cookies with light frosting for church today. I decided I would try one this afternoon in the privacy of my own home; I wanted to know--would I dump if I ate sugar? I ate a whole cookie (pretty big actually) and i had no affect whatsoever! I'm really disappointed about that--I was hoping it was going to help me stay away from it. I know, I know, I shouldn't have even tested it but just ASSUMED, which is what I've been doing thus far.

But now I know. :( It's back to willpower. I'm still going to try very, very hard to stay away from it though.

I feel like a lot of surgeons make it sound like everyone is going to dump. I haven't dumped and my mom doesn't dump either. I haven't really wanted to test it though because im afraid I won't dump

One of the reasons I chose the RNY was because you're not supposed to be able to handle sugar. I'm a sugar addict so that was a big plus for me! It's been 3 1/2 months since my surgery and I haven't had any sugar. Hubby baked St. Patty's shamrock sugar Cookies with light frosting for church today. I decided I would try one this afternoon in the privacy of my own home; I wanted to know--would I dump if I ate sugar? I ate a whole cookie (pretty big actually) and i had no affect whatsoever! I'm really disappointed about that--I was hoping it was going to help me stay away from it. I know, I know, I shouldn't have even tested it but just ASSUMED, which is what I've been doing thus far.

But now I know. :( It's back to willpower. I'm still going to try very, very hard to stay away from it though.

I don't dump on sugars either. I do know if I eat a lot stuff highly concentrated in sugar my heart will race a bit. It's really subtle, but I notice it. I don't tolerate fats well though... So I figure it a trade off.

It might depend on what you eat. I can eat a little amounts of things. I try eating anything fried and I get sick. Anything high in sugar will make me dump. I can't drink anything with over 15 g of sugar. I buy the V8 strawberry banana light juice and dilute it with Water. It's great! I know Splenda is not good for you but I use that most of my foods instead of sugar. At least until I discover something better

It might depend on what you eat. I can eat a little amounts of things. I try eating anything fried and I get sick. Anything high in sugar will make me dump. I can't drink anything with over 15 g of sugar. I buy the V8 strawberry banana light juice and dilute it with water. It's great! I know Splenda is not good for you but I use that most of my foods instead of sugar. At least until I discover something better

It might depend on what you eat. I can eat a little amounts of things. I try eating anything fried and I get sick. Anything high in sugar will make me dump. I can't drink anything with over 15 g of sugar. I buy the V8 strawberry banana light juice and dilute it with water. It's great! I know Splenda is not good for you but I use that most of my foods instead of sugar. At least until I discover something better

I wanted to dump too, but I read that only 15% of patients actually do.

It might be just what you ate. Maybe 2 Cookies would've made you dump... maybe one cookie will make you dump next time. I think it's always going to be a test. Everything you eat is "testing."

I haven't ever dumped... fully ... but I do get a racing heart sometimes and that's from my Protein shake in the mornings. I get that when I drink them too fast.

Anyways... no idea the point of my story ... Hahaha

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using the BariatricPal App

I don't dump either. When I have sugar, I typically get dizzy and lightheaded...and that's about it.

First of all, don't try that again! lol. I only say that because your first foray into foods that we aren't supposed to have is just a gateway to do it more! Yes, I said that. Cookies are a gateway drug! lol

Anyway, Cookies don't make me dump but muffins do. It's a weird blend of things that either do or don't. And even then, it is just the heart racing, weakness, sort of dumping, nothing else.

Sometimes some food gives me a stitch on the lower left side of my stomach and that is actually more painful even though it is tolerable to some level.

You are just going to have to be strong and not try those things again! Don't push the envelope.

S

Cookies are crunchy and go down well for me (unfortunately), so I avoid temptation. It's the sugar alcohols in the sugar free stuff that make me dump and irritate my pouch. Had 3 bites of homemade cheesecake. Dumped almost instantaneously. So fat content has a lot to do with it too. But yeah, no problem with sugar cookies either. I wish they made me sick too.

The main reason I chose GB RNY was with the hopes that I would dump. But I also learned before my surgery that most people don't.

I'm also a sugar addict. I have tried VERY little things with sugar in the last 5 months (1 tablespoon of birthday cake, 4 mm's,) and while I have not dumped I feel as if I were to eat more I would so I'm scared and don't and use that as a tool.

A couple of days ago my kids made CC Cookies, I ate 1/3 of the cookie and felt miserable for an hour after. Not dumping per se, but definitely won't be eating another one of those!

I apparently don't dump either. I learned it by accident when I was making what I thought would be a better dessert for Easter dinner that I could maybe taste and not make everyone feel uncomfortable with me just starring longingly at their Desserts. I made a cream cheese pie with fruit on top, but it had sweetened condensed milk in it that had 22g of sugar per tablespoon and after I made it, i licked the spoon, the bowl, and really just couldn't stop eating it and then I looked at the label of the sweetened condensed milk and freaked out. But no dumping. I was pretty disappointed especially since my roux arm was extended as far as my insurance would allow to help curb my sugar junkie ways. Now I just need to be careful and not fall of the wagon. It really is like a drug to me and if I know, or think I know there's no consequences, I'm afraid it'll be harder to say no to the singing siren.

I wish I had never tested the sugar issue either. I can say I am about 7 months out and I can safely eat 1 pop tart or 1 cookie. Sugary drinks give me a horrible headache but as a rule the only thing I notice with sugar is a bit of gas. I will admit I still don't eat anything sweet out in public. I think the amount and type of sugar can play a big roll so I don't chance it when I am out and about.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Thanks for the info.

I am a sugarholic and after a couple weeks away from it I have much more control and lack of cravings.

I will work to stay away from it, I have a friend that dumped big time when she ate sugar after RNY, and something I do not want to play with.