Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Blood while pooping

Hi,

So sorry to be graphic but I am a bit concerned. I had my surgery on December 8th 2015. Ever since surgery, I had had Constipation issues. Now though, when I poop I start to bleed. Bright red blood and what appears to be a decent amount. Has anyone else experienced this?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

It's probably minor tearing of the skin from the hard poop. You should definitely call your doctor and check in though. You may need a stool softener or some such to help you out.

I'm not a physician, so if this has been going on a while, I'd say call your regular doctor. The fact that the blood is fresh may (or may not -- remember, I'm no physician) mean that the rectum is scratched. This can happen with Constipation and very dry stool. Or you may have sprung a hemorrhoid. Or something else.

If it were I, and remember, I'm no physician, I'd wait if it were just one incident and chalk it up to dryness.

I'm not a physician, so if this has been going on a while, I'd say call your regular doctor. The fact that the blood is fresh may (or may not -- remember, I'm no physician) mean that the rectum is scratched. This can happen with constipation and very dry stool. Or you may have sprung a hemorrhoid. Or something else.

If it were I, and remember, I'm no physician, I'd wait if it were just one incident and chalk it up to dryness. That is, as long as I had no other symptoms or signs that I might think were surgery-related.

I'm not a physician, so if this has been going on a while, I'd say call your regular doctor. The fact that the blood is fresh may (or may not -- remember, I'm no physician) mean that the rectum is scratched. This can happen with Constipation and very dry stool. Or you may have sprung a hemorrhoid. Or something else.

If it were I, and remember, I'm no physician, I'd wait if it were just one incident and chalk it up to dryness. That is, as long as I had no other symptoms or signs that I might think were surgery-related.

Bright red is good (meaning it's not internal). You've probably got hemorrhoids that have been irritated by your Constipation. Or like said above, some tearing. Stool softeners are definitely in order! And yes, it's happened to me ;)

Blood in poop?

Hand on phone to call Dr.'s office.

I have hemorrhoids and when I get constipated i bleed quite a bit when going #2. Grab a stool softer

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using the BariatricPal App

I too was experiencing this issue. I went to my gastro and showed him a picture. He said the small amount and color is from Constipation and was not concerned. He gave me a script and with the next movement the blood was no longer there. If you are pushing don't and try to increase your Water intake.

Internal hemorrhoids cause the bright blood. You need to drink more Water and take stool softeners which may take a couple of days to work. But make them a regular thing. No pun intended. Lol.

Water + stool softener. You've got hemorrhoids. Bring a small stool or step into the bathroom with you and put your legs on it, or squat when you finally decide to go. Don't strain or push; if it won't come out, try again later after drinking a giant glass of Water AND taking a stool softener (stool softeners draw water out of your intestines and into your feces, so if you are dehydrated, this won't be able to happen).

When you go, assume the pose of a skiier going downhill. It will reduce the pinch/strain on your colon and make the process more natural and efficient.

I'm no doctor, but I am a nurse (who unfortunately spends much of her day trying to get people to poop).

I experienced this after my initial sleeve. So much blood, I thought I would have to go to ER. Surgeon said it was pretty normal, though. Minor tearing and hemorrhoids. Making sure my Fluid intake was on target and stool softeners helped, but the biggest help was a Squatty Potty. Sounds crazy, I know, but altering the alignment inside when I tried to have a BM really did wonders. At the time, I had to order it from the Squatty Potty website, but they're now available at Bed, Bath and Beyond (where you can use a coupon).

The squatty potty has been a lifesaver ...

Ooh this is good to know. We have one but I got it for my husband to put his feet on under his desk (he has poor circulation). Looks like I'll be needing to steal it post op!