Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm sure it's just my nerves kicking in...Surgery 3/16

So I'm getting sleeved next Wednesday, and I'm ready like Freddy...I've been on my pre-op liquid diet for a week and 2 days, although I have to admit I've cheated a little. I've kept it carb free, so at least there's that. I've had a couple pieces of grilled chicken or cheese here and there over the last couple of days.

And it felt GREAT....until afterward I got this sense of failure, because I ate something other than these stupid shakes and/or broth. I keep trying to justify it that a) I KNOW my liver is normal sized (I had an ultrasound and CT scan of it recently), and B) It's Protein that I cheated with. But I still feel bad about cheating. And I shouldn't justify not following my diet orders.

I haven't really lost any weight on the pre-op diet, even though I've been tracking and staying around 1100 calories. The NUT told me not to worry about calories so much as just getting the protein in, and to drink as much as I wanted. That's odd advice to me, but whatever.

So because I haven't lost much weight pre-op, I'm beginning to freak a little and wonder if this sleeve will actually work for ME. I've seen everyone's pics and read their success stories, but I keep thinking "What if it just doesn't work for ME, tho???? What if it's all just a huge waste???? What if I don't lose anything at all?"

I'm sure it's just nervousness leading up to the big day, but has anyone else experienced these types of feelings? How did you deal with them once you had the operation?

Definitely just your emotions getting the better of your right now, which is completely normal at this point. You have a big life change ahead. I am sure you have tried and failed to lose weight/keep it off many times in the past (like all of us) and there is going to be that little voice in the back of your mind telling you this will be no different. The self-doubt is SO DEEPLY ingrained in those of us who have struggled with our weight all our lives. It can be hard to overcome, especially in times of high stress, like right now when you are only days away from surgery.

You have to hang in there and try your hardest. I think the best way to do that is to focus on the next minute or next hour, instead of thinking too far ahead and letting yourself get overwhelmed. Focus on your Protein shakes. Focus on your work. Maybe make some checklists or a calendar of your food stages or something to help you prepare for post-op. Focusing in on the minutia keeps you from thinking too much about the big picture and getting overwhelmed.

Totally understand how you feel. I'm not anywhere near surgery but I'm already wondering if this will work for me or if I'll botch it and have gone through all this for nothing.

That being said, I believe you get out of this tool what you put in. You can do this, give yourself a chance and work at it like a job[emoji3]

Keep us posted

This is me exactly! We even have the same surgery date! I've cheated with veggies but I still felt super guilty ! We have 4 days left so I'm trying to be as good as possible but it is really hard. I've only lost 5..5lbs on the liquid diet but I keep telling myself to think positive. Good luck !

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

This is me exactly! We even have the same surgery date! I've cheated with veggies but I still felt super guilty ! We have 4 days left so I'm trying to be as good as possible but it is really hard. I've only lost 5..5lbs on the liquid diet but I keep telling myself to think positive. Good luck !

I think I've lost about the same amount, and I think I may be retaining Water with all the sodium in the Soups and broths. Also, I'm SICK of sweet flavor, and I'm craving savory. However savory usually means more sodium. I was on a phô kick, and then egg drop Soup, but I'm sick of that also. I don't know how I'll do it post-op, I'll just have to suck it up. Lol

I think I've lost about the same amount, and I think I may be retaining Water with all the sodium in the Soups and broths. Also, I'm SICK of sweet flavor, and I'm craving savory. However savory usually means more sodium. I was on a phô kick, and then egg drop Soup, but I'm sick of that also. I don't know how I'll do it post-op, I'll just have to suck it up. Lol

That might be me also, back when I did weight watchers with a friend, we would both eat the smart ones and she would lose weight while I would gain , those things are loaded with sodium ! I didn't do a lot of broths just mainly Protein shakes and right now I use a straw just to be done with them quick.. Don't know what I'll do after myself !!

All of you are going to do great! The pre op diet just flat out sux. I cheated on mine too. Guess what!!!!!! I am about four months post op and I am successful!!!!!! Stick to the plan and this will work. After surgery you won't want to eat anyway right off the bat. The sleeve will do its job. I get hungry, but fill up really quickly. I love my sleeve!!!!!!!!!! I have to make myself eat to get in all my Protein as before I had to make myself not eat.

I'd like to know what kind of pre op diet your doctor put you on. My doctor said 2 high Protein low carb shakes a day and 1 no carb meal but he said I could have 2-3 teaspoons of non starchy vegetables. I can only eat meat that's 4 oz. or the size of my palm. I've lost 4 pounds since I saw him on Tuesday and my calories are nowhere near 1000 calories.

If you've been on the pre-op for a week and you've lost 5 pounds... That means you've cut 17,500 calories over the past week. It is pretty difficult to lose 5lbs in a week, especially if you aren't counting calories (as you said). Keep that in perspective and don't lose hope. You're doing fine and you have control over your own success!

Yeah I was a pussy my surgery on 8 March but I chickened out now I'm going through it again and I'm gonna start my pre-op diet now even though the doctors out of town won't be back for a week I just want to get started to feel so stupid because I just didn't do it on the eighth

I feel the same exact way as you ! In scared it won't work because I have tried diets in the past and I have felt they have gotten me no where . I haven't gotten a surgery date yet but I meet with my surgeon on the 22nd of this month. But it's just crazy how I think the same way like what if this doesn't work at all for me . Please keep us posted I will definitely be tuned in lol and good luck on your journey