Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So many fears. Someone talk me down!

I'm just having so much anxiety about my upcoming surgery on 4/4. I do suffer from generalized anxiety disorder and had to get off my daily med so it's really bad right now. I have started Wellbutrin but it hasn't kicked in yet (and now that I'm reading the manual the surgeons office gave me I'm seeing that you can't ever take whole pills again...and that extended release medications can't be crushed. So here I am worried about that, too!

I have two young kids and I am just so scared. I have had surgeries in the past - but since this one is elective it's gotten me really spun up!

I know all the reasons I'm doing it, and I know it's the right thing to do. But it doesn't seem to help quell my fear.

I'm self pay so I have no special diet to follow (until the pre-surgical one a week before)....should I be weaning off carbs now? What about caffeine? I don't want carb and caffeine withdrawal on top of surgery.

Since my ins isn't paying I feel like I'm not getting the entire process that a lot of people go trough and it's been kind of "thrust upon me" so to speak. I do have a dietary class to take on March 14 at the surgeons office. But that's it. No psych evaluation, no EKG, no endoscopy. Just an upper GI and that's it!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I'm only 2 days post op and they told me I can take pills already, all Drs plans are different though so check with them first, but usually if they don't allow it at first, after a week or so it should be fine.

And the psych eval was really just questions about yourself and what you will do to stay in plan with having the surgery, and who will support you....

My doctor wrote me a one month's prescription for my meds that were not time released. I just cut the pills into four pieces, crushed them and took them 4 xs a day. I'm back on my time released now. Everything was great. (OK..taste was not too great with the crushed pills but I got through it and so will you.) You can do this!

I am a self payer and was super nervous too! I had not special diet except the don't eat 12 hours prior to surgery.

You will be fine and do great! Once you have the sleeve your hunger will go away completely. I didn't have a desire to eat for a long time and had to put a timer on my phone to eat at all. I didn't go through withdrawals and I was a carb-a-holic prior to surgery.

I think that the jitters and nerves are normal. It means that you are taking things seriously. You will do great!

I agree with @kranky813. It is surgery so nerves are to be expected. It is a life changing experience so nerves are to be expected. That being said, we all had nerves. You will do great!

You have so much to look forward to! You are going to gain so much while you are losing! Some people never get hungry again but some do get their hunger back so that is an individual experience.

I can take whole pills and have been since about a week post-op. It never bothered me at all.

Your nutrition class will set the expectations for meals and eating plan for post-op so ask lots of questions if you have them and take notes cos it is a lot of information at once. If you have any other questions, find out who you ask and how. Can you call or do they prefer email?

If you have general questions, we are all here for you and have probably done whatever you are asking so don't hold back.

Will be thinking of you and wishing you a smooth surgery and recovery! You can do this! Get ready for some amazing changes!

Thank you all so much. I just had a full blown, hyperventilating panic attack. I'm almost certain it's the Wellbutrin which I won't take again. I'm getting back on my regular medication even though it does cause weight gain. I just have to trust that the sleeve will help me battle against that.

Logging on here and seeing these encouraging messages was just what I needed. THANK YOU. Really.

Oh and my surgeon called me today and told me after 6 mos I can take pills again.

Thank you for that. I am so so lucky that my neighbor took my son immediately so he didn't witness it. He saw me a cry a little but I told him I had a headache and didn't feel well. I never want my kids to see something like that from me. It was really bad :(