Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not getting the support system I need

I am 33 years old weighing at 222 pounds, Friday I am going to my first seminar. Everyone in my family but my mom is against me going through with possibly having this procedure. The only two people supporting me are my mom and my nail tech, even the nurse at my primary care doctors office is against me going through with this. Yes I have trouble following doctor orders but considering how big of a deal this procedure is I know I should follow doctor orders step by step. I want the support system I need, I am tired of being overweight, I have low self esteem and I think going through with this and getting the weight off me would help my self esteem tremendously.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Well......you can always wait around and become as bad off as I did a dozen or more years down the road.

If I'd have taken action of some substantial and fundamental way at age 33......I would't have found myself feeling old and broke down by my mid 40's. It took finally being wiped out with the fun symptoms of a disc injury that finally, finally got me focused on making a lifestyle change.

I went with a sleeve.

I have only one regret. One.

It is why....why.....why did my stubborn arse not do this much sooner ????

I'm just now able to reflect back and uncover some of the reasons I didn't take that action at 33. Part of it was that I had great self esteem and was very active. 60+ workweeks on average, days spent hunting, golfing, fishing, boating, etc. If something fun popped up on the radar.....count me in. I was there. At some point, however.....the bad eating habits and activity level just failed to be in sync and I failed to reconcile this. I knew how to lose weight and would do so......but discipline was like a switch that was thrown own and off.......and when it was off, wow.....serious pounds would show up.

Health issues and recovery from these really narrowed down my fun. Since there was no formal gym time taking place....and the fun outdoors had always been my main source of activity....bad situations occurred.

Now I'm starting to get back to where I need to be. The sleeve has been a most powerful tool. I realize now that my health isn't the only benefit I'm seeing. Turns out that I was having serious self esteem issues as well. I was letting myself stay stuck in rut......carved out a pattern of living and was hiding within the confines of this small window of life.

Now....I am going through examining everything about my life....it's all on the table. It's all up for negotiation. The unhealthy aspects are being eliminated. I'm finding that change is needed and I no longer fear that change. Some of the changes are small.......some are tremendous and a little bit scary. It's been a great time of self discovery and examination of what I'd like to do to set myself up for the future.

Spare yourself the next decade of sliding off into bad habits and unhealthy way of living. I went down that road and paid the price. I was absolutely blessed to be allowed this second chance.

I'm not saying to have surgery. Only you can make that decision. Gain the most insight and educate yourself as much as possible before committing to wls. Don't hesitate to make a change, though. Commit to getting healthy and act on this. Put forth the effort in ways that are safe and will give results. If you are not already doing so...then begin frequent exercise and establish a good way of eating. Get these fundamental behaviors in place on your own.......you'll need them if you do decide to have wls....and you'll benefit from them anyway.

I wish you the very best and hope that you gain support from your family. They may have to warm up to the idea and be better informed as to what wls surgery is and what it can offer. Seeing you become dedicated to healthy behaviors will certainly help gain their support.

You are among friends here, too. This is a very special place with some of the coolest people I've ever had the pleasure of knowing.

My mind is pretty much made up at 33 I already feel broken down. Bad back, bulging disc in my neck, gastric ulcers. These can all be changed and I know I can change my eating habits because honestly I don't eat much now. My main problem will be cutting out soda and I am committed to doing so if I have the sleeve done which is the route I will go. I have Migraines and my nail tech who had her sleeve surgery about 3 weeks ago said she has not had a Migraine since. I am not a member of a gym but we do have a park with a walking trail around a pond I can walk every day three times a week. This is something I know I want and I know I need

My mind is pretty much made up at 33 I already feel broken down. Bad back, bulging disc in my neck, gastric ulcers. These can all be changed and I know I can change my eating habits because honestly I don't eat much now. My main problem will be cutting out soda and I am committed to doing so if I have the sleeve done which is the route I will go. I have Migraines and my nail tech who had her sleeve surgery about 3 weeks ago said she has not had a Migraine since. I am not a member of a gym but we do have a park with a walking trail around a pond I can walk every day three times a week. This is something I know I want and I know I need

@@Dub Very, very good advice! Heart, you can do this! Nevermind what others tell you, let your own mind and heart follow whatever decision you may choose! WLS is the best thing I ever did for myself, unfortunately I didn't come to realize that I could not lose the weight on my own until I was 57. I missed out on a lot of things in life that I would have loved to have done! Now I'm happier, healthier, and going for the gusto! Just remember, no soda after surgery! The bubbles are really bad for your new tummy, let alone the sugars/artificial sweetners in it. Better to have Water flavored with Crystal Light. Wishing you all the best for your future!

I was also told by someone three of her friends had surgery and one died, the other two gained the weight back. I am sorry but they did something wrong to gain the weight back like not following the strict diet. I know there is a risk with the sleeve but not to the point where you die. I am not backing down from this. I have tried diets, exercise, nothing helps.