Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post-Op nastiness, ways to get through it?

I've only just gotten out of hospital (last night) and I feel really ill and sore. Just taking a couple of aspirin makes me burp painfully... and my lungs have phlegm in them which makes breathing hard... and my shoulders, neck and back feel aweful as if I'd been hit by a car. (I think it's to do with my sleeping position yesterday and last night.)

And of course there's the problem with my voice which is now soft and sore.

Anyone else been through that? Ideas for anything to make some of it feel better? I'm not regretting it at all but it would be nice to have some coping mechinisims till this all settles!

I was banded Monday been out of hospital 4 days. I find the shoulder pain goes away if i lean in the other direction so as its my left shoulder I sit so my right shoulder is higher and for the back pain Ive been using heat packs. I know with all the pain and discomfort you may be regretting it but I just keep telling myself a couple of weeks this pain will be over and ill be on track. Ive already lost 2 kg! Best of luck to you Ses.

Chloe

weight.png

I walked and walked and walked, one hour after surgery and was lucky I guess and never had any pain to speak of. I have heard the gasx strips help alot. I slept in the recliner the first couple of days and I think that helped too. This too shall pass.

I was banded on the 23rd, and I felt exactly the same way you do now. What I found helped was ibuprofen (if it is called the se thing in the US, it is an anti-inflammatory, just make sure you take it with milk, or something to protect your sore stomach) and the pain relief given by the doc- paracetamol helped (I think you guys call that acetomenephin). I used a heat pack on my shoulders and neck.

Shoulder tip pain (particularly on the left side) is likeley caused by irritation of the diaphragm (it travels up the frenic nerve) so every time I drank, I found that it hurt to breathe, the pain was excruciating. I found taking it very, very slow helped. I had a few ups and downs emotionally, and still am, but I'll get there.

The only other thing I can tell you is that the pain gets much better every day- I am still a little tender, but not much, and get tired, but I think I am pushing myself a little bit. The swelling has gone down in my stomach, so no more diaphragm pain, but it does mean I have very little restiction, so I am sick of the liquid diet! Not much longer though. :)

Best of luck, just take it easy.

Try using a heating pad on your belly or shoulder. Call your doc and ask for pain meds. I wouldn't have gotten through the first day without them. It does get better. Today is my 3 week anniv. and I can hardly tell I had surgery except for an occasional port twinge. Hang in there, get plenty of rest.

As for the sore throat and phlegm this was due to the anethesia. You probably had a tube in your throat that irritated it. I did too. This goes away in a few days. I was told by my nurse in recovery to make sure to use my sprirometer. A device that you inhale into and it lifts a little ball. At first you do it and its hard. The more you do it the better it is. Also she said to hug a pillow and COUGH. At first this was painful but its necessary to prevent pneumonia. You can cough up a lot of that stuff and get rid of it. Deep breathing is the key to open up those deep recesses of your lungs and get rid of any bacteria and left over anesthesia. If not call the Doctor!!

Hang in there!

i'm just three days out of the hospital and i feel the same way. it's horrible, but i find that the meds my doc sent me home with for pain are too strong for me ( i can't take any narcotics ) so i just take liquid tylenol when i have pain and i feel much better. hang in there, it will get better for both of us!

I guess I am lucky. I was banded 7-16 and I have had none of these symptoms. My incisions were tender for a day or two but that was it. I slept fine and my gas problem is no worse than it ever has been. I have to wonder if I really had the surgery.

Hang in there! I was sore beyond belief! The first week was the hardest for me: soreness, incision pain, a sore throat leading to no voice at all, and just plain frustrated by my enormous abdomen. After that, I was much better. It's been six weeks and I am exercising 6 days a week -- with a weight loss of 24 pounds. You'll be fine.

I just had surgery this morning. I feel really good. I've been up walking up and down the sidewalk and driveway. A little bit sore when I get up and down but that's it. No pain med's. Hope it stays that way.

I sure hope you feel better soon.

I hear you!!!! The first 3/4 days for me was hell, I swear if I could have removed that band I would have! I'm now walking everyday, going to the gym, hell I even did yoga the other day! Oh did I mention I'm down 30llbs...... You'll be posting this very same message to somone going through the same thing in a couple of months.......

I felt miserable too the first two days after surgery. Walking was the best cure for me, along with the liquid Tylenol. Just take it day by day. It isn't easy, but you will feel better each day. When you see the scale go down it will be all worth it!!! I promise! Hang in there- The pain will all be worth it soon!;)

Did you get banded on Aug 2 2007? Me Too! I had the burps for a day or so and phlegm that hurt to come up, I think it has to do with the breathing tube down the throat. My port site is very painful at times, and when I have gas pains, it is worse! Let's write and compare how were are doing. Tracy W.

Thanks for the replies! Even if I didn't answer, they did help, I read them all and waited for it to calm down. Which it has! So thankyou, that really helped me a lot. I've only got a bit of tummy pain now which makes it hard to sleep or move, but that's it.