Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So my insurance company requires that I do this "Phone Course." I have to read from this book, answer some questions ahead of the call.

There were some dissonances compared to what I've encountered in my own research, as well as what I've heard here.

1. There are lots of pictures of rice where they're talking about healthy eating. My understanding is that for RNY, that's not the greatest idea. Is rice something we can eat?
  2. They say that dumping occurs in 75% of patients. Around here I see people mention 30%. Of course, they don't cite their sources. Can someone here cite theirs?

I'm sure there will be others, but these are the first two I saw.

Is it a general nutrition class or a bariatric nutrition class? The reason I ask is that a general nutrition class will include starches. I just took a nutrition class through our county extension office and they follow the usda guidelines which includes/carbs and starches.

I don't know about the dumping since I had sleeve and not bypass.

I'm not sure if anyone knows for sure how many people dump because a lot of people (like myself) don't try to test the waters. I have no idea if I dump, and I really don't want to find out.

I've heard that 30% figure a lot, too. I don't think I've ever heard any figure as high as 75%.

Is it a general nutrition class or a bariatric nutrition class? The reason I ask is that a general nutrition class will include starches. I just took a nutrition class through our county extension office and they follow the usda guidelines which includes/carbs and starches.

I don't know about the dumping since I had sleeve and not bypass.

This is a bariatric class... it's not limited to nutrition. I have a "coach" and a dietician who will be on these calls. It's completely unrelated to my surgery program.

Rice is probably too hard on the stomach in the beginning. According to my guidelines Brown Rice was acceptable at month 7 post-op. But some rice products were acceptable right at the beginning such as Cream of Rice.

Dumping is generally not the villain it is made out to be. Sure it is an uncomfortable painful experience. But more important, it is a learning tool. Once you dump you quickly decide that you do not want to do that again, so you avoid the problem. You become very attuned to what the pre-signs are, such as hiccups or stuffy nose, and then you just don't go there.

in my pre surgery NUT class they said rice is not a good choice for sleeves as it expands in the stomach. its not that you CANT eat it but it will get in the way of getting all your Protein and fruits/veggies in. there isnt classic dumping for sleeves i was taught. i was told that if you eat sugar and fats it will reach your intestines faster than it used to due to the smaller stomach and you will feel various forms of discomfort but not as extreme as gastric bypass dumping. hope this helps i am still a newbie

Is this an interactive class? If so, why not ask these questions in the class? I would be curious to see how they answer.

The stereotypical "healthy dinner" from the 90's was skinless baked chicken breast, broccoli, and rice. I think those pictures are a throwback of when that was the recommended dinner of choice for any dieter. I saw lots of photos like that at my gestational diabetes nutrition class. Which is a riot because rice made my blood sugar spike to dangerous levels so I stopped eating it.

I don't eat it now anymore because it hurts my stomach. Though I have a lap band and my issue is I have a hard time passing it through my band unless I eat it in very small bites and chew very, very well. Sucks because I love it but I just eat my Protein and veggies if I have Chinese food.

The stereotypical "healthy dinner" from the 90's was skinless baked chicken breast, broccoli, and rice. I think those pictures are a throwback of when that was the recommended dinner of choice for any dieter. I saw lots of photos like that at my gestational diabetes nutrition class. Which is a riot because rice made my blood sugar spike to dangerous levels so I stopped eating it.

I don't eat it now anymore because it hurts my stomach. Though I have a lap band and my issue is I have a hard time passing it through my band unless I eat it in very small bites and chew very, very well. Sucks because I love it but I just eat my Protein and veggies if I have Chinese food.

That was one thing I was thinking: cheap clip art and/or old materials.

Is this an interactive class? If so, why not ask these questions in the class? I would be curious to see how they answer.

I plan to but my call isn't for like another two weeks. My curiosity is getting the better of me [emoji846]

Dumping isn't a fun experience. Its not just from eating the wrong foods, it can be from eating too fast or not chewing as much as you should..I haven't really tested the waters, but certain foods are triggers for me to dump.

Good luck and don't focus on the dumping, focus on the journey ahead

Percentages don't mean a great deal to those of us who do "dump". I will tell you that it is 100% awfully slimy and painful.

However, I have grown to accept dumping as a useful tool that I can use on my new life's journey. It helps me "tote the line".

Good luck on your WL journey.

I'm a sleeve but my general instructions (given to sleeves and bypasses) were to limit rice especially in the beginning. 1. It tends to swell up in our tiny pouch. 2. It's a low value food ( no Protein, all filler). 3. In my experience, it floats in my tummy and I simply couldn't tolerate it for the first 6 months as it came back up in reflux / fomies. Still not a fav.