Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

OMG... I know I will have to start Puree diet at some point....YUK

Hi everyone, I am having my gastric bypass surgery 3/7/16 ...(this Monday)... and am trying to learn everything I can. I can't believe the day is here.! Well have been going over the various phases if the gastric bypass diet and am having a real problem anticipating the Puree diet.

You see I am a nurse of 35 yrs, predominantly in the emergency room but I can still remember vividly my time on a medical ward. There we used to do long term care of the patients and the population was geriatrics. I remember feeding the patients puree diets and almost got sick to my stomach many times. The smell, consistency, and texture was nasty, especially the pureed liver.

I have been reading up on different foods ppl are eating and blending, and I just don't think I can do it. I'll get sick. I know some of you may laugh at this or say "get over it and do it) I'm trying to keep an open mind but I think I'll stick to the shakes, cottage cheese, yogurt and creamed Soups, but when it come to blending eggs, meats, tuna and fish I think back to my experience with puree food and my stomach swirls.

Does anyone have the same experience, I will discuss with my Doc and nutritionist but was wanting some feedback from the community.

TY

:)

Hi everyone, I am having my gastric bypass surgery 3/7/16 ...(this Monday)... and am trying to learn everything I can. I can't believe the day is here.! Well have been going over the various phases if the gastric bypass diet and am having a real problem anticipating the Puree diet.

You see I am a nurse of 35 yrs, predominantly in the emergency room but I can still remember vividly my time on a medical ward. There we used to do long term care of the patients and the population was geriatrics. I remember feeding the patients puree diets and almost got sick to my stomach many times. The smell, consistency, and texture was nasty, especially the pureed liver.

I have been reading up on different foods ppl are eating and blending, and I just don't think I can do it. I'll get sick. I know some of you may laugh at this or say "get over it and do it) I'm trying to keep an open mind but I think I'll stick to the shakes, cottage cheese, yogurt and creamed Soups, but when it come to blending eggs, meats, tuna and fish I think back to my experience with puree food and my stomach swirls.

Does anyone have the same experience, I will discuss with my Doc and nutritionist but was wanting some feedback from the community.

TY

:)

I didn't have a purée stage. As far as I can tell there is nothing magic about purée other than its a way to get more flavor and nutrition in with a semi-liquid/soft texture.

If you like Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, refried Beans, tuna, Protein shakes, etc. then I don't see any reason to force yourself to eat something you don't like.

First I tried baby food, and that just wasn't palatable. Applesauce was plain and had no Protein. So, my dear boyfriend cooked up regular food, like homemade pot roast and veggies, and pureed it in the blender with some broth. The main idea is to progress without having any bits in your food yet. Just take something non-starchy with some lean Protein you like and make your own purees.

As a nurse I can totally relate! My big thing is thickened liquid for patients. Thickened Water is vile !

I'm currently in soft foods stage and all I do is chew each bite about 34-40 times until what is in my mouth is baby food consistency.

My current favorite foods are tuna tartare, sashimi , ground turkey and chili.

It can be done! Check out the nutrition section of these boards for some great ideas ....I have many recipes written down in a notebook I want to try ....the ones I like will go in my Paprika app for future use.

I only once pureed actual food. I stuck mainly to yogurts, ricotta cheese, scrambled eggs, Soups, Protein Drinks, applesauce, mashed potatoes, that sort of thing. You aren't going to feel much like eating anyway so don't even bother yourself about pureed steaks or things like that. You don't HAVE to have that type of pureed food.

The only thing I puréed was lentil, navy bean, and split pea Soups. (I way preferred savory over sweet.) I didn't fuss with meat until I could chew it.

You will not be eating big meas of pureed foods you don't like. There is room for choice here.

I didn't really puree anything. Progresssing from liquids I added things allowed in the "puree" stage... cottage cheese, tuna and chicken salad, soft scrambled eggs, refried Beans with cheese, etc..

Seriously, at that stage I was only consuming 2 oz anyway. A little egg for Breakfast, a few bites of chicken salad... they were a great break from the shakes and liquids.< /p>

Just remember, "it's not forever". Find four things that you like and just eat those.

Just do it! Oh, I forgot, I wasn't supposed to say that! :)

You can do this. YOU know you can. The rewards are well worth the "trials of pureed"

Let us know when you get to that stage and we will "talk you through it".

I never actually pureed real foods either. I ate fat free refried Beans with melted cheese, yogurt, shakes, sugar free pudding, mashed avocado, hummus, etc. I also LOVED the Ricotta Bake. http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2007/08/pureed-foods.html

TY for all of your support and different options...I needed to hear it's okay.

TY for all of your support and different options...I needed to hear it's okay.

One of the things I found helpful both with the pre-op diet and post-op diet was to focus on what I CAN have instead of what I can't.

If there is something you can't eat or don't like then find an alternative.

Your NUT, along with the folks on BariatricPal, can help you do that.

Another thing that helped me was that I made up my mind to do everything I was asked to do by my medical team, even if I thought I couldn't or was afraid to try.

You may find that post-op there are things you thought you don't like that you do -- tastes do change.