Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Acid and decision for surgery

I have GERD and Barrett's Esphagus (?) and my surgeon says that he will look for hernia while in there but nothing showed on scope but he felt that loosing this weight will help with all the acid reflux.

Will you be getting the sleeve or RNY?

I have GERD and I'm getting the sleeve. My surgeon said that in most cases if GERD is caused by the extra weight on your abdomen (which mine is - I've been a yo-yo dieter and I've never had GERD when I've been thin), it will most likely resolve after weight loss. If it's caused by something structural with your stomach/esophagus, it might get worse, hence the pre-surgery GI clearance. Of course all of this is Your Mileage May Vary because we're all different, but he said that's what the general trend in his patients has been.

I'm not one to carry excess weight in my abdomen area. All of mine is hips legs and butt. I have a family history of gerd and hernias also. Guess the odds are just against me. The problem is I never feel a thing and all this damage has already taken place. Scary. If I make the choice of the sleeve and end up with problems then what?!? I can't afford another surgery ????

What I have learned on these boards is that RNY is "the cure" surgery for reflux. I think you make a strong case for RNY especially since you can't afford a revision.

My surgeon won't do the sleeve on people with Barrett's Esophagus. It's like inviting cancer into your body. There's no reason to be afraid of RNY, it's a great surgery with terrific results.

Thank you ladies! @@CBT & Bufflehead! I appreciate both of your comments! RNY it is????

And yes when I heard him say cancer...well that scared the hell out of me! Surely would never want that.

Thank you again for your support!????

I've created a closed Facebook group called Bariatric Surgeries 2016 if anyone would like to join! I still have to schedule a date for my surgery, but I'd to receive/share pre-op, post-op, and any advice others have!

I am going through the exact same issue! My doctor recommended the bypass as I have acid reflux as if is. After reading so many comments, hearing people's advice, it'd been a bit stressful!

I'm having a second opinion tomorrow but so far I'm leaning towards the bypass.

Hi. Checking to see how your second opinion appointment went. Also add me to your group if you would. I tried finding it but couldn't.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

One of my biggest issues was germ. I let it go unchecked for many years and just suffered through the vomiting every few days. I then got on a regimen of Prilosec which helped I measly. However I do have full blown barrels esophagus which I never knew about until I got the endoscopy for my sleeve surgery. My dr said that the surgery should help. I also had hiatal hernia repair at the same time and am 5 days post op. I hope it helps the reflux disappear. I will let you know!

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Yes, I have my upper GI being scheduled this week and now i'll be anxious to know what it states on results. I was leaning to sleeve but if damage is bad then I will change to RNY. I will also listen to doctor and definately take his advice. I appreciate everyones opinion. Sure is informative here on this site. Wow....helpful

I had my sleeve surgery September 2. I now have off-the-charts acid reflux. Prior to surgery it was occasional. I am having an upper GI on the 22nd of this month to see how things look, including the opening to my stomach. My dr. thinks I could have stricture, caused by keloid scarring. I don't feel terribly bad most of the time, but it has been difficult to lie down to sleep. He put me on Prilosec for 8 weeks to treat the GERD, then I go back on Prevacid to manage it. I hate to think this is what the rest of my life will be like. I'm hoping something can be done.

Aside from that, I've lost 80 pounds. I'm 20 pounds from my goal weight. I'm happy with the results, weight-loss wise, of the surgery. I don't struggle with hunger, I don't overeat, and I like shopping again! :)

I had my sleeve surgery September 2. I now have off-the-charts acid reflux. Prior to surgery it was occasional. I am having an upper GI on the 22nd of this month to see how things look, including the opening to my stomach. My dr. thinks I could have stricture, caused by keloid scarring. I don't feel terribly bad most of the time, but it has been difficult to lie down to sleep. He put me on Prilosec for 8 weeks to treat the GERD, then I go back on Prevacid to manage it. I hate to think this is what the rest of my life will be like. I'm hoping something can be done.

Aside from that, I've lost 80 pounds. I'm 20 pounds from my goal weight. I'm happy with the results, weight-loss wise, of the surgery. I don't struggle with hunger, I don't overeat, and I like shopping again! :)

Please come back and give us an update, ok?

I had really bad reflux, but no problems since sleeve surgery 4 months ago

so maybe RNY then for me? I will be patient and see what doc suggests :unsure:

so is it my understanding then that RNY illiminates all Acid reflux? Or can you still have it with RNY?

so is it my understanding then that RNY illiminates all Acid reflux? Or can you still have it with RNY?

Oceangilrpc

The booklet my surgeon gave me stated bypass has a 95% cure rate for GERD/acid reflux. I don't know if that is correct but that's what it said....

I had GERD for 5+ years prior to surgery. I too was concerned that it would make it worse. However, it has actually made it better. I still take a pill every day (omeprazole), however, now it actually works (vs. prior to surgery when it was hit or miss). With the medication, I virtually have no acid reflux. If I miss a few days, I can feel it. I am almost one year out. Good luck with your procedure, whichever you choose.