Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Flying long haul seven weeks post op - any tips?

I'm six and a half weeks post op and about to go travelling in the US for three months (I'm from the UK), and first up is my nearly ten hour flight to Seattle from London. I still get pretty uncomfortable sitting in the same position for more than a few hours (say, when driving or as a passenger), it usually feels like someone's kicked my left ribs, so I've bought a lumbar support cushion to help me change my position, and I'll have to get up and take a few little walks around - hopefully without driving whoever is sitting next to me absolutely bonkers.

It doesn't happen very often, but I'm paranoid I might get an upset stomach on the flight, and I've already picked my meal (healthy meal option) so I'm seriously hoping this doesn't happen!

But I was wondering if anyone had done anything similar and had some tips as to how to make the journey more comfortable/stress free?

Choose an aisle seat so you can get up/move around easily. Check seat guru if you want to know which seats are best and how wide your seat will be on the plane so you know what to expect. If your worried about getting an upset stomach take some medication with you to take in case it happens (immodium etc).

Sent from my SM-G900H using the BariatricPal App

This doesn't really answer your question...but I've created a closed Facebook group called Bariatric Surgeries 2016. I'm looking for a small group to support each other. Join if you like!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Heya :) It's a nice idea, and I'd like to, but I have people with access to my Facebook who I'd rather not know my personal business and if I joined a group like that then they would. I'm not ashamed to have had the surgery, but I view it as private - if asked I never lie, and everyone that matters to me knows and supports me, but I'm not the kind of person who shouts things from the roof tops, if you know what I mean? I'd sooner keep my really personal life off social media and away from FB stalkers, lol.

Edited by Athenyx

Don't know how this repeated itself!

Edited by Athenyx

Choose an aisle seat so you can get up/move around easily. Check seat guru if you want to know which seats are best and how wide your seat will be on the plane so you know what to expect. If your worried about getting an upset stomach take some medication with you to take in case it happens (immodium etc).

Thanks for replying :)

I've already chosen a window seat as I hate aisle seats - I'm tall so something always gets knocked - my elbow, my foot, my knee - depending on how I'm sitting. I was savvy and booked premium economy so I have extra leg room and a bigger seat, though I sit fine in normal seats really.

I wasn't sure if it was okay to be taking things like immodium, but if others are and it's fine then i'll get some from the airport - thanks for the heads up!

Check the ingredients, but I haven't been told no? If you're in premium then it should be easy enough to walk around the person next to you without overly disturbing them. I have to do long haul to Asia every year for work in regular economy and those flight am be looong. 10 hours isn't so bad and premium will make it much nicer.

I swear to God travelling without having to worry about all this is one of my major goals of this surgery.

No worries. Closed groups do not show up on your page so no one should know, but if you don't feel comfortable even with that I understand.

Best of luck with your surgery! I'm coming out to London next month the week before my surgery so it should be 'fun' doing a liquid diet while traveling for work!

Check the ingredients, but I haven't been told no? If you're in premium then it should be easy enough to walk around the person next to you without overly disturbing them. I have to do long haul to Asia every year for work in regular economy and those flight am be looong. 10 hours isn't so bad and premium will make it much nicer.

I swear to God travelling without having to worry about all this is one of my major goals of this surgery.

I'll have a look and make sure there's nothing dubious looking there - better to be safe than sorry.

Lol - ten hours feels long to me right now, I'm hoping I can just tune into some movies and forget about any discomfort!

No worries. Closed groups do not show up on your page so no one should know, but if you don't feel comfortable even with that I understand.

Best of luck with your surgery! I'm coming out to London next month the week before my surgery so it should be 'fun' doing a liquid diet while traveling for work!

I've never joined a closed group so I thought it would show up on my profile - I don't mind joining if that's the case then. Though, I can't find a group titled 'Bariatric Surgeries 2016' on there, lol.

Do you have to do a liquid diet before surgery? I just had a healthy Protein diet for two weeks pre-op so I wasn't very inconvenienced - it was afterwards that was a bugger, but I mostly stayed at home for those two weeks!

@@Athenyx I travel extensively and have found that overall the process is much easier after the sleeve. There are obvious benefits - seats and seat belts fit better and the tray table now has room to open all the way. But there are other benefits... Before surgery I drank large amounts of liquids, such that a couple of restroom trips would be necessary during a 3 hour flight. Now I can make 3+ hours without even getting out of my seat. Also, hunger isn't a big issue like it was before surgery, making a long flight easier.

I try to take some healthy Protein Snacks with me in my carry-on. I'm not sure where you are on your diet progression but I've found that some almonds and a cheese stick can go a long way to satisfy me during a flight. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be allowed to take Protein shakes through security, but if they are allowed on your program at this point it might also be worthwhile to take a couple Protein Bars with you.

Lol, its such a private group no one will be able to find it! :) Ok, I'll have to try and figure out why that is...

Everything seems to be set up correctly. I'll ask some friends. I've checked the spelling so it doesn't seem to be that.

I just took a quick trip for a medical conference over the weekend.

I took a shaker bottle and powdered Protein with. I bought the individual packets because I didn't want security having an issue if I had the powder just in a ziploc bag.

I also noticed the airport food = carbs!

I went to a bakery/ deli place in airport and had a tuna sandwich minus the bread. That one scoop of tuna was more than enough to fill me up!

Good luck and don't forget a Water bottle to refill !

Lol, its such a private group no one will be able to find it! :) Ok, I'll have to try and figure out why that is...

Everything seems to be set up correctly. I'll ask some friends. I've checked the spelling so it doesn't seem to be that.

If it's a private group I don't think it does show up, my surgery group has a private group that doesn't so I think you have to be invited.

@@Athenyx I travel extensively and have found that overall the process is much easier after the sleeve. There are obvious benefits - seats and seat belts fit better and the tray table now has room to open all the way. But there are other benefits... Before surgery I drank large amounts of liquids, such that a couple of restroom trips would be necessary during a 3 hour flight. Now I can make 3+ hours without even getting out of my seat. Also, hunger isn't a big issue like it was before surgery, making a long flight easier.

I try to take some healthy Protein Snacks with me in my carry-on. I'm not sure where you are on your diet progression but I've found that some almonds and a cheese stick can go a long way to satisfy me during a flight. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be allowed to take Protein shakes through security, but if they are allowed on your program at this point it might also be worthwhile to take a couple Protein Bars with you.

I am looking forward to not worrying about how much spare room is left on my seatbelt, that's for sure! To be honest, I was one of those people who hated to use airplane toilets and stuck to my seat like glue, but this time I'll make myself get up to go just for the walks :)

Flying has never really made me feel hungry before - the inflight meals should be way more than adequate for me as I'm only just managing three small kids size meals at the moment, but the advice about the protein bars is good, thanks - even if it's just for my road trips afterwards - always better to have a healthy snack on hand than resort to whatever is available at the time!