Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A bit depressed post op/post surgery blues

This may seem silly, but I had surgery on Monday. I was pretty scared and anxious. Everything went as expected I suppose. I thought I had a group of friends that was a really strong support system. Its now Thursday and none of that circle of friends including what I thought was my best friend has been by to check on me. Now I have post surgery blues real bad. My wife has been great. She helped me put my cpap mask on tonight as I went to bed and I couldn't hold back the tears. She has been wonderful, but my feelings are so hurt over my friends. Anyone else having the post surgery blues or is it just me?

My amateur opinion is as follows...

You've just had major surgery...

I mean, what we have done to us, it's some heavy s**t!!

For now, forget who has been to visit or who is checking in..

You've got more important things to worry about...

Focus on getting yourself up and about as soon as you can...

Focus on getting your Protein and your Water into you...

Focus on what your surgeon says you can/cannot/should do...

Your friend are probably unsure how to react or help out...

They'll come good...

And if they don't - so be it..

It's YOU time now...

Even if the only one to focus on you is YOU...

And don't forget that as your fat 'melts', stored up hormones and stuff are released...

And that can REALLY f**k your s**t up...

You'll get there @@bama41

Just hang here as much as you need to and ask as many questions as you want...

But before you ask, look around the forum...

Most questions have already been answered to some degree...

Good luck to you mate...

Keep us posted here as the days and weeks unfold for you...

I went through buyers remorse for a few days...it totally sucked. But then as my energy came back I remembered why I thought it was important to have surgery in the first place. You will get through this and in a few weeks it will be but a blip on the screen....

I'm sorry you're going through this. I was sleeved on 2/23. I'm not feeling quite the same about friends but my spouse isn't as supportive as I thought he'd be so I can relate to the disappointment. It's hurtful. But keep your focus on the reason you did this. It's not for your friends. It's for you! Your health! Friends and weight have a strange relationship. One of my "good" friends the other day finally called and then told me she was jealous and knew that it was wrong, that she should be happy but she's just jealous. Who knows what's going on with your pals. Just keep your eye on the prize and find some good distractions. This site has really helped me for that. Good luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I think a lot of people don't realize that this is major surgery and a major life altering, permanent change. They also don't know how difficult it is, especially in the beginning. It's one of those situations where people just don't know what to do or say. Most of the time they say the wrong thing or nothing at all. We're sensitive, they're ignorant (on this subject). Just can't win.

Your friends will come around and some of them will say the right things and some will not. I doesn't matter because this is your new life. Focus on getting well, everything else is gravy.

I had the blues after surgery. I felt like they just took away my best friend (I know silly) anyway, after the first two weeks I felt like I was dying. My doctor said (he actually yelled at me) that it was because I had not started exercising. Oh really, I thought I was supposed to wait until I got the ok from him. I was so angry but I did start exercising (walking) and felt like a new person the next day. So I took back all the curse words :)

Be well!

I think having the blues after surgery is very normal. The drugs make us that way. Each surgery I had I was very weepy from the pain meds. Plus our friends just don't know how to take this surgery. They haven't done the research we have and don't get it. They'll come around, hang tough.

Maybe your friends think you need to rest, and haven't came by. They might be giving you time. Don't take it personal.