Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein Drinks/ Shakes

I started experimenting with a couple different kinds, tryign to buy different flavors to see what I liked or didn't. I know everyone has different taste but can you all recommend something that tastes good?

I have tried the Atkins advatage caramel latte drink and that was horrible.

I tried the slimfast vanilla creme, and while I did drink the whole thing, I felt like I was drinking baby formula the whole time with a hint of vanilla in it.

Before I go spend a ton of cash, I would like some experienced opinions about these things.

Has anyonehad the Isopure drinks? I thought of getting an assorted case of all the flavors but didn't want to waste 40 bucks if they are bad.

<p>Just for reference as a rule I don't drink a real big variety of beverages as it is. I drink Hot coffee/tea regularly, propel Water and 4C 0 cal iced tea and on occasion orange juice. Other than that I may have 1 diet soda in a weeks time.

With the exception of coffee, I really hate drinking my calories. I know that once I am banded that will be a regular thing but I have never been a sugary drink person and gave up reg soda years ago.</p>

Protein shakes are a must when you have this procedure. i hated mine at first. Then i found out about Isopure. It is a powder that I mix with 1 cup of Skim milk, 5 ice cubes and any fruit or extra flavoring I want. ti comes in a variety pak that includes Orange creamcicle, strawberrries and cream, Dutch chocolate, Creamy vanilla, and chocolate Peanut Butter. IT has 50 GRAMS of Protein.< /p>

I have put vanilla extract in the creamy vanilla, Iput a banana in the chocolate, Frozen or fresh strawberries in the strawberries and cream. I also add an equal to it sometimes.

It ends up tasting like a milk shake. I use this as a meal sometimes if the scale gets stuck i will replace 2 meals with it. And the protein really keeps you from being hungry for a long time.

I know this sounds like a comercial, but i have tried many and spent alot of money. I bought this on-line at 50% off the store price. Just Google Isopure. Good Luck

I thought I read somewhere that the body can only absorb 25 g Protein at a time... so, 50 in your shake? is that a waste???

Also... do the shakes really make you feel full/satisfied? Seems like they'd just drain thru the band leaving you empty again...

???

I have never heard of only asorbing 25 grams of Protein. I got the name of the Isopure from the PA at my surgeons office. As far as filling me up. I can only sometimes finish it. I do make sure it is thick like a milkshake. It keeps me full for hours........Everyone is different, but this is what works for me.

Good Luck

Anna

I'm making note of your "recipe" as I think Protein shakes will be perfect for me... and glad to know they actually make you feel full! Thanks for all your info!

: )

I've been using Body Fortress Why Protein Powder (I get it at WalMart) in chocolate and vanilla. I mix a scoop with a cup of Hood Calorie Countdown milk and 3 ice cubes and VOILA! It's like a thick yummy milkshake! When I make the vanilla one I add a teaspoon or two of sugar free vanilla Syrup to give it a little more flavor. I've also tried the Isopure drinks in bottle... I was not a fan of the fruit punch, but the grape one was pretty good.

I like the nuwhey protien bullets. I lived on those the first week after my surgery and all you do is pour them over ice and sip. I also like the matrix Cookies and cream just mix with milk and add ice cubes and blend like a thick milk shake. I can tolerate the Isopure in the bottles not to bad at all if poured over ice and sipped all day. Baratriceating.com has a sample pack of a variaty of protiens. I bought that and tried them before my surgery they also have high protien Snacks for when you start eating real food. That site is my favorite for healthy Snacks. Good luck finding a

protien you like. Also Glucerna is very good right out of the bottle and you can get that at Walmart. I use that for Breakfast a lot of the time.

Can't wait to get my first fill tomorrow. lost 22lb in 6 weeks with my band and I don't have any restriction yet. Gotta love this band!!!

All I know is that it does because it is nothing but protien. I think it keep us from losing muscle mass as we take in less food. It will help us the same as it helps the body builder build muscle mass. As we loose weight we all need to improve our muscle mass by exercising. Muscle use burns fat and so we loose our weight. Hope this explanation helps.

If we don't get enough protien we will burn muscle mass instead of fat.

Banded 7/21/07

First fill tomorrow

weight.png

Yesterday, I went to Vitamin World and got some Muscle Milk Light. They had it on sale so I bought 2 packs of the chocolate. I really wish I had just bought one. I personally didn't like it. It does have 20 grams of Protein per serving which is good. It was completely disgusting, but I heard so much about it I thought it would be better.

I was doing the low carb slim fast which is really good. I think that also has 20 grams of carbs. I have only tried the chocolate.< /p>

I was doing the low carb slim fast which is really good. I think that also has 20 grams of carbs. I have only tried the chocolate.

That's the only one I can drink AS IS.

I have to add a little strawberry yogurt or something to the Atkins Advantage vanilla.< /p>

I'm not big on 'sweet' tastes -- I did not get to be 321 lbs eating Cookies, candy and ice cream, I promise! It was Pasta, rice and potatoes that did this to me! And I just can't bear the thought of drinking 'shakes' ALL day long.

So I bought 100% Any whey Protein at the Vitamin Shoppe -- its pretty much tasteless and I can add it to Soups, grits, etc. I've tried it several different ways already and its gonna be quite doable, I think.

btw--skyeblu79.... If you don't mind my asking, why five months before your first fill?