Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Importance of not drinking after eating

I am 3 weeks post op- no issues at all- down 25 punds.

My hips and face are much slimmer- stomache still seems bloated and scars are ugly...i am being patient!

I am not much into mushee foods and doctor had said things llike Wendys Chilli is ok- and puree only if needed. So i am eating some eggs, devilled crabs, chili, fish, tuna fish and still drinking a lot of Protein. *eating a couple of fries when hs=usband has them- just to get the salt taste! Protein shakes are easier than cooking a big meal just to eat 2 spoonfuls. Once i have the go ahead to eat more solid things i think i can get better at meals..

I am not good at watching the clock- does anyone know why we wait 15 min after drinking before eating and 1.5 hours after eating to drink?

Am trying to go slow with the drinking but would help me do better if i understood the why!

You will only get out of this surgery what you are willing to put into it. The only person that has to be happy with your results is you. Try your best to follow your surgeons plan.

This guy explains it best about Water. Link to his video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xR0VM3mnsgM

1.5 hours after seems extreme, but the reason is you don't want to flush the food out of your stomach. Leaving it in there makes you feel fuller longer. It is a way of fully utilizing your restriction. Eating and drinking at the same time or drinking soon after eating is one of the easier ways to "eat around" the sleeve.

My guideline from my surgeon was to wait 20 minutes after. I usually wait more like 40-45 minutes, because I feel so "full" after eating and I feel like if I tried to drink anything, it wouldn't have anywhere to go.

The only reason you're not supposed to drink and eat is because it washes the food through your stomach faster. I decided from the start I wasn't going to be spending the rest of my life eating with a dry mouth and I have never followed that rule. If you pay attention to what you're eating, then if you drink at the same time, it doesn't really matter. Medically there is no reason to not drink and eat, it just keeps you feeling full longer, so you eat less, and then lose more weight, like Jamie said.

That being said....I am 2.5 years post-op, I have maintained at goal for 11 months, and literally never followed the stupid drinking rule once. I like beverages with meals, lol.

The only reason you're not supposed to drink and eat is because it washes the food through your stomach faster. I decided from the start I wasn't going to be spending the rest of my life eating with a dry mouth and I have never followed that rule. If you pay attention to what you're eating, then if you drink at the same time, it doesn't really matter. Medically there is no reason to not drink and eat, it just keeps you feeling full longer, so you eat less, and then lose more weight, like Jamie said.

That being said....I am 2.5 years post-op, I have maintained at goal for 11 months, and literally never followed the stupid drinking rule once. I like beverages with meals, lol.

@@AvaFern is definitely the exception to the rule. If you have the willpower to limit what you are eating regardless of whether you feel "full" or not, then more power to you. Most people who opt for the restriction of WLS have problems with willpower though and that "full" feeling is what keeps us from overeating.

Pre-op, I would literally drink 4 glasses of Water at one meal when I was out to eat, because constantly washing the food down with Water let me stuff more in there! I could eat an entire large pizza plus dessert by myself! Post-op, once I was on soft foods, the very first time I started to feel "full" the very first thing I did, without even thinking about it, was reach for some water to wash it down. I caught myself and realized how I had subconsciously been using eating and drinking at the same time as a way to eat more my entire life! I wasn't going to throw away the restriction of my sleeve by doing that all over again.

It took a period of adjustment for sure. The first time I had tuna post-op, it was so dry I thought I was going to DIE if I didn't take a sip of water. So I did take a small sip and moved on with my life. In the beginning, I mostly just made sure I didn't have water within arms reach while eating. But now I can go out to eat, have them bring me a glass of water, drink it up until the time my meal is served, then just not touch it again the rest of the time I'm there.

There was one time I was choking on something caught in my throat and had to grab my husband's drink to wash it down. So maybe not a *terrible* idea to keep water within reach while eating once you are in the habit of not drinking it subconsciously.

The only reason you're not supposed to drink and eat is because it washes the food through your stomach faster.

Really? I have seen this so often even this video

But that seems more related to lap band than sleeve IMO.

It seems we are all different when it comes to this drinking before & afterward business.

My practical experience is I can drink right up to starting to eat. No need to wait.

food recently chewed & in my pouch/stomach, rather than being washed through by drinking actually blocks the Fluid if i try to drink too early & either the Fluid or the food or part of both is ejected into the mouth. Not one of those great feelings but easily avoided.

I wait until the fullness feeling has dissipated & that is usually around an hour after eating.

Why bother pushing the boundaries for no real gain. Just get used to the new you!.

Edited by rastus

@@rastus I agree that drinking AFTER eating is just uncomfortable as I am still too full of food. Drinking WHILE eating is the real danger for sleevers.

I didn't really think this through. Of course looking for a quick way out, I thought I would wash the food out without getting any calories. Could be why I've done this up and down that thing for 50 years. I now will not drink Water during my meals, and will wait the suggested half hour afterwards!! thank you for your ideas.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using the BariatricPal App

Absolute ditto for me. I have been below goal for over 1 1/2 years and I always drink with and after meals. I discovered early on it didn't make any difference when it came to when, how much or what I ate. My head controls that, not my stomach.

Only 4 months out from sleeve surgery here, but I am very uncomfortable if I drink anything 30-34 mins after a meal.

I have learned this the hard way.

I usually stop drinking about five minutes before eating and don't drink for about 30 minutes after eating. Like many here, I found out the hard way what happens when you drink too quickly after a meal. In my case, even seven months out from surgery, there simply isn't room for food and Water after a meal. I also have Soups with veggies and meat and Cereal with milk and it's been fine and I have had to sip Water at times during meals if the food was too dry. You will learn your own pace and restrictions, and as time goes by you get more comfortable.

I drink right up to the time I eat. I wait 30 mins after to eat again. I posted the video (yes, Once again) For someone new to the site. A quick explanation that is outdated. I like the funnel demonstration. If I have have Fluid with my meals. Hunger kicks in on me. All of us experience things with bariatrics differently.

I drink right up to the time I eat. I wait 30 mins after to eat again. I posted the video (yes, Once again) For someone new to the site. A quick explanation that is outdated. I like the funnel demonstration. If I have have Fluid with my meals. Hunger kicks in on me. All of us experience things with bariatrics differently.

I drink right up to the time I start eating too now that I am far out from surgery. In the very beginning post-op, your stomach is swollen and even liquids can "fill" it. But once you are healed up, liquids pass through in a matter of seconds. There is no possible way to become so full on liquids that you can't eat your food. Which is the risk in the very beginning. I am 100% positive, after watching my barium swallow test, that liquid alone doesn't stay in my stomach for any amount of time. If I take a sip, and then immediately take a bite of food. By the time I'm done chewing and swallowing, that liquid is already on to my intestines. But, in the beginning, it is possible for swelling to cause the liquid to stay in the stomach longer and not leave enough room for food, so that's the issue there.

I grew up not being allowed to drink with meals. So it is kinda of an uncomfortable mental issue with me that I associate with negative food behavior.

I don't rely on restriction to control my eating. I don't have the hunger issues some other people have.

Sometimes I take a few sips with meals, most of the time I don't. I start drinking within 45 minutes or so after eating.

If you don't know your level of control or will power, I wouldn't drink with meals or soon after. I definitely stop drinking before I eat so I have an empty stomach and can eat enough to meet my Protein goals. I struggle more with remembering to eat often enough to meet my Protein goals and get in enough calories than over eating.

In the beginning you should follow your program as closely as possible, then later on once you know yourself and your limits, you can change things to suit your needs and your lifestyle.

Edited by OutsideMatchInside

In the beginning you should follow your program as closely as possible, then later on once you know yourself and your limits, you can change things to suit your needs and your lifestyle.

I could not agree more! I have said it many times. It's very important to stick to your surgeon's and nutritionist's plans in the beginning, while you are healing and adjusting. But ultimately, you are the one who has to live the rest of your life. You have to figure out what works for you. What causes you to eat more? What causes you to eat less? What allows you enough energy to get through your day? What makes you tired and lethargic? What causes your sleeve to be angry with you?

Sticking to the guidelines in the beginning gives you a chance to heal up and learn new habits. But there will be a LOT of trial and error beginning a few months out to try to figure out how you can make this all work for you long term.