Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Exercise what do you guys and gals do post op and how important is exercise

I was just wondering what type of exercise everyone has been doing after surgery? When I go to classes that don't really mention real exercise or what I imagine exercise to be. They just say things like during commercials walk around your house, or while your watching TV these are some things you can do. These comments to me are extremely degrading and make me feel as though these nurses think all overweight people do is sit on the couch and watch TV. I am getting gastric bypass because I genuinely cannot loose weight. I use my elliptical 3-5 days a week and I take spin classes twice a week but I can't loose weight. I've lost inches but as far as pounds maybe 5. I currently weight 225 and am 5'1. What happens if I can't make it to the gym though? What do the nurses mean by exercise 5 days a week but they don't even give you real examples of exercise?

they might be referring to right after surgery, when that's pretty much what most people can muster (although who knows - they may have been referring to sedentary people - not sure).

I walked for the first few weeks (very little the first week, though - I was pretty sore). At four weeks out I was cleared to do most everything except weights - I think I had to wait 6-8 weeks to do those.

right now (nine months out) I do Aqua Zumba, swim laps, TRX, occasionally weights, and yoga

I agree it sounds like she meant right after surgery or was trying to get people with a very sedentary lifestyle how to get started. A lot of people really have to start that small. It sounds like you're way ahead of the game and that's great!

My understanding is that eating less is what's most important for actually getting the weight off. Exercise is a bigger factor in keeping it off in maintenance.

I'm still losing weight, though, and I've found exercise helps me in many ways, by boosting my mood, staving off hunger, giving me motivation to eat well to fuel my activities. I'm getting into and enjoying a lot of physical activity, including weight training, walking, cardio machines and classes at the gym. I'd like to get a bicycle soon and am looking into learn-to-row classes for the summer. To me, becoming a more active person is an important step in preparing for maintenance and the rest of my life.

Whether you are extremely active pre-op or sedentary, walking and moving around after surgery is helpful.

After my incisions healed and I was cleared to get in the Water almost all of my exercise is in the pool: swimming laps, Water aerobics, water weights, etc.

I was just wondering what type of exercise everyone has been doing after surgery? When I go to classes that don't really mention real exercise or what I imagine exercise to be. They just say things like during commercials walk around your house, or while your watching TV these are some things you can do. These comments to me are extremely degrading and make me feel as though these nurses think all overweight people do is sit on the couch and watch TV. I am getting gastric bypass because I genuinely cannot loose weight. I use my elliptical 3-5 days a week and I take spin classes twice a week but I can't loose weight. I've lost inches but as far as pounds maybe 5. I currently weight 225 and am 5'1. What happens if I can't make it to the gym though? What do the nurses mean by exercise 5 days a week but they don't even give you real examples of exercise?

I am a bit confused. When they say some examples of exercise are walking around the house during commercials you poo-poo it, but then say they don't give real world examples. Walking around the house during commercials is a real world example.

Exercise to me means moving.

Whether it is a formal exercise class or exercise routine, or working exercise into my regular activities, it all counts as exercise.

I happen to like to swim so I swim laps, take Water aerobics classes, and use Water weights.

I also am trying to add more movement throughout the day.

Walking around the house is a great way to exercise, especially post-op while you are still healing, That is all I did until I was cleared to get in the pool.

You might want to consider getting an exercise tracker.

I got a Misfit Shine for Christmas and it is great for tracking my laps because I can swim with it. It also is great so I can see how my other activities contribute to my daily exercise goals (or not depending on what I am doing).

I was cleared after two weeks to resume workouts. I do three strength sessions per week and at least two cardio (treadmill, elliptical, etc). I've also started incorporating kettle bells once a week.

I agree it sounds like she meant right after surgery or was trying to get people with a very sedentary lifestyle how to get started. A lot of people really have to start that small. It sounds like you're way ahead of the game and that's great!

My understanding is that eating less is what's most important for actually getting the weight off. Exercise is a bigger factor in keeping it off in maintenance.

I'm still losing weight, though, and I've found exercise helps me in many ways, by boosting my mood, staving off hunger, giving me motivation to eat well to fuel my activities. I'm getting into and enjoying a lot of physical activity, including weight training, walking, cardio machines and classes at the gym. I'd like to get a bicycle soon and am looking into learn-to-row classes for the summer. To me, becoming a more active person is an important step in preparing for maintenance and the rest of my life.

Kayaking is a lot of fun as well!!!

Whether you are extremely active pre-op or sedentary, walking and moving around after surgery is helpful.

After my incisions healed and I was cleared to get in the Water almost all of my exercise is in the pool: swimming laps, Water aerobics, water weights, etc.

That's one thing I was wondering about too. I live in South Carolina and have a pool that I stay in. I will have my surgery scheduled in June so that's peak heat time here. I'm hoping I'll be cleared within a few weeks to at least get in the water plus our beach vacation is already scheduled late August.

I am a bit confused. When they say some examples of exercise are walking around the house during commercials you poo-poo it, but then say they don't give real world examples. Walking around the house during commercials is a real world example.

Whether it is a formal exercise class or exercise routine, or working exercise into my regular activities, it all counts as exercise.

I happen to like to swim so I swim laps, take Water aerobics classes, and use Water weights.

Walking around the house is a great way to exercise, especially post-op while you are still healing, That is all I did until I was cleared to get in the pool.

I got a Misfit Shine for Christmas and it is great for tracking my laps because I can swim with it. It also is great so I can see how my other activities contribute to my daily exercise goals (or not depending on what I am doing).

Oh yeah I wasn't really thinking about post op right after surgery. I have always been taught that it doesn't count unless your heart rate is elevated to a certain point. That does make sense. I'm new to all of these classes I'm required to take.

Oh yeah I wasn't really thinking about post op right after surgery. I have always been taught that it doesn't count unless your heart rate is elevated to a certain point. That does make sense. I'm new to all of these classes I'm required to take. Once the weight is gone walking around the house isn't going to cut it as far as weight loss or gaining muscle is concerned. I was more so wondering about exercise after I'm healed and cleared to do everything normally.

We have similar stats. I was 228 on surgery day and like you, I worked out before surgery and could NOT loose weight. I am still struggling to get to goal.

My bariatric team provides me w/an exercise physiologist. He recommended I work-out 4-6 days a week but admittedly, I worked out 3-4 days. However, in the past month I've increased it to 5 days. He wants me to mix it up & keep the body guessing. I do zumba and run on the treadmill with some strength training (at home).

I was also told by my team that weight loss is 70-80% diet, working out is mostly to keep your heart healthy.

I love how I feel after a workout. I have more energy, sleep soundly and it helps with my mood.

Sent from my SM-G900T using the BariatricPal App

I am heading toward 4 months post op. I was cleared to walk and encouraged to walk as soon as I woke up from anesthesia. I had to wait until 1 month before I could pursue any other kinds of exercise. I started swimming and treadmill running right after the holidays. Now I am training for a 5k and will start training in April for a VERY SHORT triathlon. I am also taking a weight lifting class two days a week.

Part of my motivation for exercising is that muscle tone can help with loose skin. I don't' have any misconceptions that it will solve the problem, but I can already tell it is helping. I was pretty active before my surgery and am glad to be able to get back into it. All I can tell you is take it slow, but get moving!

pam

I began BEFORE surgery. I started my journey at 331 pounds and I am only 5'2". At that time the ONLY exercise that I could do was a recumbent elliptical for 20 minutes. I worked up slowly from there. By the time I had surgery (6 month wait) I had lost 40 pounds. Two and half years later I generally work out twice a day - at least a couple hours a day. What I do varies between walking, jogging, using a Nordic Track ski machine, Zumba, and a Kick Boxing class. You can LOSE the weight without exercise, but if you want to keep it off and live a healthier lifestyle, then exercise is the key.

It takes hard work and dedication, but the results and how you feel are SO worth it! Best of luck for a successful future!

Carol

I began BEFORE surgery. I started my journey at 331 pounds and I am only 5'2". At that time the ONLY exercise that I could do was a recumbent elliptical for 20 minutes. I worked up slowly from there. By the time I had surgery (6 month wait) I had lost 40 pounds. Two and half years later I generally work out twice a day - at least a couple hours a day. What I do varies between walking, jogging, using a Nordic Track ski machine, Zumba, and a Kick Boxing class. You can LOSE the weight without exercise, but if you want to keep it off and live a healthier lifestyle, then exercise is the key.

It takes hard work and dedication, but the results and how you feel are SO worth it! Best of luck for a successful future!

Carol

Wow! Do you have a job?? 2 hrs a day is massive.