Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

While waiting on insurance approval, I find myself eating anything and everything! I keep thinking, "I'm not going to get to eat these things much longer." I am eating more than normal and need to stop! Anybody else go through this? How do I stop my mind from doing this to me?

Oh I did! I remember the day before I had to start my pre op diet I binged like crazy. My mom visited and I had her bring my favorite treats from the local bakery since it was the last time to eat them. I drank Dr Pepper. I guess I did the whole "food funeral". But, I think for me I needed to enjoy them one last time. I haven't eaten anything off plan since my surgery and that was 8 months ago. I'm sure it doesn't work for others, but it did for me.

Hey don't worry I called it my food Funeral . My 2 week pre op diet starts March 3

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I had a food funeral the day before my pre op as well. We went to Buca di Beppo and I had my favorite spaghetti with meat sauce and meatballs.

I have loved spaghetti since I was a little girl.

Guess what? Not anymore. I literally cannot stand it now. I hate the texture of al dente Pasta which was the way I have always cooked it. I don't like how it tastes and I especially hate how it makes my pouch feel.

Most people have a food funeral. Just get back on the plan now.

Good luck!

I had a two week long food funeral when I went home to visit my family (I live 600 miles from them). I gained TWENTY SEVEN LBS. I enjoyed it at the time but afterwards I was so angry at myself. It took me two months to lose some of it and I'm still not down to my lowest weight (and that was in December!)

I am totally looking at stuff thinking "I'll never eat that again. I have to have some now." But I am trying to change my thinking. My new mindset is that I CAN eat whatever I want, I just CHOOSE not to. It's my decision. That way I don't feel like anything is off limits, I'm just choosing to make healthier choices. It's working so far. I've lost 38 lbs from my highest weight and I only have 9 lbs to go to get to my (personal) pre-surgery goal.

Surgery is in 10 days so I know that's pushing it but I'm very committed now. I'm done gorging on food, getting that temporary high and then hating myself afterwards.

MkJohnson! Good luck on your big day. I was sleeved 12/30 and have lost 45lbs. I am half way there. I ate like there was no tomorrow - but now? Everything stinks!! I cant even smell coffee grounds - I can drink it - but not smell the grounds!!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using the BariatricPal App

Thank you all so much for your responses. It makes me feel better to know that what I've been doing is somewhat normal and you all even have a name for it-- a food funeral! That's exactly what it is!

@@lifeofblair Looks like you're doing great! I hope I can do as well!

@@NoOneIsStoppingMeButMe Only 4 days to go... Good Luck!!!

@@Djmohr Wow! You are doing awesome! Only one pound to your goal weight!! Congrats!

@@MKJohnson15 Good luck! Only two weeks to go!

I've been eating my "last supper" for about 3 weeks! Every day I say "tomorrow" get your shit together!! But I binge again. My brain knows I can have that again, if I choose, in a much smaller portion, but my mouth takes over. I was at a preop nutrition class the other day and was relieved to hear everyone in the class had been doing it too.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

My surgery was scheduled for 12 noon, and the day before I had my last pre op appt. at the hospital at 8 am, which took all of 5 minutes. I only had a one day liquid diet requirement after that. I'd already lost more than 10% of my weight.

As I was leaving the pre op at the hospital it suddenly occurred to me that I still had about 3 hours left before that 24 hr liquid diet was supposed to kick in. I went straight to pizza Hut and ordered enough to feed a family of four. I didn't eat it all, mind you, but I did my best. The really odd thing was even after that final food funeral orgy, I still managed to lose 3 pounds by the next day.

Now at seven months post op and only 7 pounds from goal, I have no regrets about that final meal. I haven't gone off diet since, and have even managed to go cold turkey on any fast foods, bread, sodas, sweets, etc. I couldn't have managed that without the surgery.

So don't be too hard on yourself. A lot of us have answered that siren song so you're definitely not alone. Best wishes!

I'm finding myself doing something similar... keep thinking eat it now because soon you will not be eating this... I've just finished all of the insurance requirements, and they have up to 30 days to approve... then I meet with the surgeon and have my 10 day pre-op diet handed to me... I hope the insurance company doesn't take the whole 30 days because I don't need to keep this mindset where it is! Ugh.

I'm relieved to know I'm not the only one :) Thanks for posting this!

@@pammieanne

You and I are close to the same height & weight, and we're both waiting for insurance approval! Maybe we can keep in touch and support each other through this!!!

@@pammieanne

You and I are close to the same height & weight, and we're both waiting for insurance approval! Maybe we can keep in touch and support each other through this!!!

That sounds perfect! I'm very excited about this journey, and am already loving this board :)

Looking forward to having friends on the same timeline!