Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded Six-Figure+ Female Professionals?!?

Ok ladies, help me with this one!!

I was at a meeting this morning and afterwards I was talking to a client. I have known him for about 5 years now. He congratulated me on my weight loss, and asked how much I had lost. I had no problem telling him. After he smiled and said "Thank god you didn't loose the boobs. They look great." smiled and then gave me a hug and a kiss on the cheek. No joke. I wanted to beat the crap out of him. So how do we handle completely inapprioate comments without being a b*tch?? I just walked away....ugh...

What!?!?!?!? I would have told him to take his chauvisnistic business elsewhere. I need my clients but I don't need their harrassment. A comment like that can often be a red flag for future problems if you continue to work with them.

Sexual harrassment in the workplace can come from anyone, not just your coworkers. Clients need to respect you as much as you do them. I think you should report this to your employer.

I am an engineer in a very male dominated industry, however I don't wear suits to work but Hard Yakka and Steel Caps like everyone else. The problem that I have faced, with my weight increasing over the last 10 years, has been the assumption that my intelligence has decreased like a sliding scale. I have had male collegues comment about my weight in the same conversation as my competency to be the responsible person on a site. This has increased over the years as I end up in positions of responsibility. But on the other hand I have had female collegues flaunt their sexuality/great bods as well. Regardless to whether it is male or female no one has the right to comment about your personal appearance & especially in relation to work competency. Yes it is degrading, demoralising and underminds you confidence in yourself to actually do your job however I have seen marked changes in the way companies do their business to retain a more diverse workplace over the last 10 years and life at work is slowly changing.

I have only told 3 people at work about my new direction in my health and they are supportive. I have urged them to be quiet as there is that stigma that I am taking the easy way out mostly with women. But I will complete a small study on whether I get more recognition for my work once I am on the lighter side or again is that related to an increase in confidence. In regards to work functions, conferences, courses and the odd departmental meeting most places/caterers will cater for special needs with food discreetly if given warning just like vegies/vegans. Or if all else fails eat at your desk before you go and explain about that awful hernia op or even better just to shut up most men ....womens problems.

cheers jo

Honestly.........my weight has not held me back in my career whatsoever. I am in the top of my field and highly respected throughout the country. I am excellent at what I do and have a great personality and attractive and yes, overweight. My issue is more with myslef than others. Sometimes I feel like an actress.......I'm one person on the outside and another person on the inside. I have constant self doubt and it all revolves around my weight.

I'm a doctor and you would think that other doctors would be supportive and sympathetic towards something a person is doing to improve their health but not so much. People have very strong feelings about weight and many assume it is lack of willpower/drive/intelligence that keeps people from losing weight without any extra tools other than a diet plan and a gym.

I've only told the nurse I work with, the advanced practice nurse I work with and my assistant in case I have problems, they'll know why.

At meals, I order a glass of wine take one or two sips and leave the rest, eat the small amount of food I want to eat and if asked, say I ate a late lunch or that my stomach is feeling a little uneasy and leave it at that. Usually if you keep people talking they focus less on what you are eating/doing and it seems like a non-issue .

What!?!?!?!? I would have told him to take his chauvisnistic business elsewhere. I need my clients but I don't need their harrassment. A comment like that can often be a red flag for future problems if you continue to work with them.

Sexual harrassment in the workplace can come from anyone, not just your coworkers. Clients need to respect you as much as you do them. I think you should report this to your employer.

Thanks Lucy, I think you are absolutely right. I need to let them know that I will no longer be comfortable with him.

I am also a professional in a high-powered career, and its been great to read these threads! I work in a male-dominated field and as I have put on weight I have found it affects my ability to command attention - I do alot of public speaking and whether its my own issues playing into my non-verbals, or others perceptions, who knows. Whatever the origin, career issues were a major driver for me getting this band.

On business lunches: I've found Soup to be the one thing to do - I can't control the speed of my eating when I am distracted. I just was banded and I am really not looking forward to the travel issues; I'm on the road alot, and maybe I'll have to just pack Protein shakes and check bags. Anyone find ways to manage eating on the road?

I'm only down about 15 lbs so far, but I have business suites in sizes from 8 - 18 so I think I can step down OK.

Keep up the posting ...

MM

Quote:

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by mommiranda viewpost.gif

I just was banded and I am really not looking forward to the travel issues; I'm on the road alot, and maybe I'll have to just pack Protein Shakes and check bags. Anyone find ways to manage eating on the road?

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I buy two items "a la carte" from NutriSystem and I eat them when I travel. The veggie sloppy joe and the cheese potatoes (with Protein powder). Neither needs refrigeration and the potatoes can be made with just hot Water (the sloppy joe needs to be nuked). They often keep me on track when traveling, along with Protein Bars. As long as I don't let myself get too hungry (when I make stupid food decisions), it's all good.

Quote:

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by mommiranda viewpost.gif

I just was banded and I am really not looking forward to the travel issues; I'm on the road alot, and maybe I'll have to just pack Protein shakes and check bags. Anyone find ways to manage eating on the road?

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I buy two items "a la carte" from NutriSystem and I eat them when I travel. The veggie sloppy joe and the cheese potatoes (with Protein powder). Neither needs refrigeration and the potatoes can be made with just hot Water (the sloppy joe needs to be nuked). They often keep me on track when traveling, along with protein bars. As long as I don't let myself get too hungry (when I make stupid food decisions), it's all good.

I agree with Julie. I didnt know you could buy Nutisystem food without the whole plan, I will have to check into that! I also carry protien bars. The more the protien the longer it will hold me as well. I also carry granola bars for a quick pick me up.

Soup is great....and safe at lunches....just make sure you have enough Protein in between. I also travel a lot and I've only been banded a week.....I've been wondering how to deal with travel issues. For example, I have our annual company senior executive retreat in two weeks.........it's for three days and I will still be on pureed food....and we are all together for breakfast/lunch/dinner. I called the hotel and they have no problem making me anything I like.....but what should I have them make me so I don't stand out too-too much at the three formal dinners???? (breakfast and lunch are easy).........