Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can we talk about blood clots, Factor 5 Leiden, and IVC filters?

I'm pre-op, hoping for surgery sometime in April.

I had a DVT 9 years ago, and a PE 8 years ago. I do have Factor 5 Leiden and I was pregnant with those clots. I haven't had any issues since then with clotting.

My surgeon wanted me to be cleared by a hematologist prior to surgery. The hematologist said he would like an IVC filter placed. This is new territory to me and it makes me nervous. I am higher risk for clots. I'm just confused and nervous. If anyone has any comments, advice, or insight on clots and/or filters, let me know! I'm especially curious about the filter procedure itself. How long does it take? Are you awake? Is it outpatient? Thank you!

I don't have personal experience but someone who is very near and dear to me has clotting issues. They take a daily dose of blood thinners and have since their first pregnancy. Like you she developed a clot with her pregnancy and several since then. Any medical procedure requires her to go off her blood thinner and things always get scary at those times. She has never had a PE, instead several DVTs, so no filter has ever been placed so I can't speak for that. I hope some people with experience can help you! There seems to be some good information on the Internet about the filter in general, but first hand experience is better. I would be nervous too, I mean who isn't when contemplating any surgery. I wish you the best and hope decisions come easy for you. The blood clotting issue is so scary alone. Take care of yourself and I hope to welcome you to the losers bench :)

Sent from my SM-N910P using the BariatricPal App

Edited by HopeandAgony

Following because my surgeon also wants me to get the IVC filter since my very high BMI puts me at a higher risk for DVT. The information I've found on them however, doesn't have me convinced that they are a real benefit. The other option though is giving myself daily lovanox injections which doesn't thrill me either. I would definitely like to hear from some people who have had the IVC filter.

My surgeon said it would be inserted about a week or so before surgery and stay in until 4-6 weeks after surgery (assuming they are able to retrieve it when they go to remove it, sometimes it can't be removed).

My doc wants higher bmi folks (which includes me and anyone over bmi of 60) to have the filter fitted AND have two weeks of the injections. I'm not swayed by the medical literature on the filters as I don't have any clot, dvt history nor has my family. I think I'm going to see if a compromise can be found before I refuse the filter. I don't want to have a pulmonary embolism or a stroke, and given I have nothing wrong with me apart from being very fat- I can't see the medical necessity of the procedure for me. That's not to say it's not worthwhile and doesn't prevent the two things I don't want...I just can't see the value in my case. So I'm really keen to hear other views and learn more- who knows I might even change my mind.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I have had an IVC filter placed. It was done in a "procedure" room. The surgeon went through the groin vein. It was a short procedure and relatively painless. Would I recommend it? It is strictly between you and your surgeon. Good Luck!

In 2012, I was sick and got progressively worse for two months, with increasing difficulty breathing. I went to the doctor five times. No one could figure out why I was having such trouble breathing. Finally, I went to the ER one night - I was to the point I had to sleep sitting up, and even then, would stop breathing. They figured out I had PE. After testing, they found out my lungs were over 50% filled and I had 3 in my legs at that time (DVT).

They went through my jugular to put thrombolitics in my lungs and place a filter. They tried to sedate me, but I stopped breathing, so I had to be awake. But, everything was so numb, I felt nothing. Even with all they did, it was less than an hour.

I had no history of clotting issues. My mother had clots, but it was not genetic, it was due to birth control in the 60s to control her cycle. Due to the severity of my situation, my hematologist suggests I remain on thinners permanently. This includes using injections when I have procedures done. Filters are effective, but only to a degree. As my hema pointed out, if something is flowing along a river and something blocks it's way, it just tries to find another path.

If your doctor feels strongly enough about it, I'd consider it. They do know best in many circumstances, and clots are deadly. For me, I'd risk the simple procedure if it meant potentially saving my life. I've been there.

Edited by Mistie