Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm glad I told.

I have told a few close friends and my family about my surgery, but I haven't told anyone at work. Today a nurse, who would also be a LapBand candidate, complimented me on my weight loss and asked me how I had done it. I don't know this woman well and I've never had a personal conversation with her, but I told her about the LapBand in confidence today. She was very interested, wanted to know my doctor's name, etc. I also gave her some websites so she can do some research (I didn't give her this one, though, because I need a little more privacy than that). I don't know whether she'll have the surgery or not, of course, but I just felt good that I had told her the truth and that I may have just helped her take the first step towards changing her life. By the way, she told me that the husband of another nurse we work with also had the surgery!

Nancy

Yes, it is. But what pleased me more was that I was able to share something that has helped me so much. And guess what? Today she told me that she actually made an appointment to go to one of the informational sessions. I'm really excited for her.

nancy

I tell everyone and anyone who asks.. I want to help as many as possible and get all the info I can about the band out there. I have had 2 customers of mine go and have the surgery becasue of me and also have another customer making the arrangements right now to have it done. My friends keep telling me I need to go to work for Dr. Ortiz and I keep telling them No thanks, its not about making money off people, its about helping them. You done good Nancy ;)

I was so exicted about getting a band that I told way too many co-workers and friends. Thus, once I was banded I felt that I better make this band work, and it did. I'm like Michelle and tell those I feel can benifit.

Nancy, I'm sure you have helped this nurse, her first step is realizing her health is suffering and you need to do something. This is the safest way I know to get healthier.

:Bunny I started out with every intention of not telling anyone, then I made my website which I was so proud of that I told two of my closest friends, then, I was going to surprise my family, but couldn't hold in the excitement, THEN i wasn't going to tell another living soul. Well, I had to stay with friends when I got my band, so I had to tell them, then when i lost my first 10 kg I couldn't shut up about it to every one at work, and now I just tell anyone who will listen! :Bunny :Bunny :Bunny :Bunny :Bunny

I love it, I love that it works, I love that I still have to think about what I am doing and I love that iam now a size 16!!!

Yay for the band I say! Lets be proud of taking charge of our lives and turning them round for the better, for being brave as many put it, but most of all, for being us. Spread the word I say!

Cheers

Nancy,

I learned about this surgery from a church member who was very kind to tell me excatley what he did when I asked what he was doing to lose the weight.

So I decided that if others can get up in front of groups and admitt to being alcohol or drug addicts I can face my food addiction also. I carry brochures with me at all times about the surgery and I have a wallet full of the Dr's cards. (bet he wonders what happen to all the ones on his desk). So far I have had 4 others convert and have the surgery. I feel I have saved four lives like mine was saved by getting the right information.

I also now work with the Dr by being a Post Operative Patient at the Pre- surgery conferences. I get my 15 minutes of fame at the end of the conference what I get to speak to the people and answer questions that only someone going thru this can do. Also I get lots of ladies that like to feel my port and see the scars. Being gropped is just something I have to put up with. ( LOL like I'd complain)

Well, I want to remain in the closet. I know the minute I tell, I will immediately feel like I am under a microscope, with everyone watching and waiting to see if I fail. I applaud those of you who feel you can tell everyone else about the band, but I know it will be a long time before I feel comfortable with doing that.

It is really hard to tell people that I have had this done because their responses are so different, some of my family members are supportive others seem almost jelouse in a way, an aunt and a cousin say that this is something they would never do because it isn't natural, and that they will know that my weight was lost becasue I had this not because of my own willpower.. I don't really know how to respond to some of their hurtful comments, but I am happy with my decision, and will be happier when I reach my goal weight and they will have even more to be jelouse about!!! I wish I would have never let them know, but oh well what can I do about it.

I snuck to Mexico alone. Only my husband knew. It took 6 months to tell people. Now I have the t-shirt, bumper sticker, flag, pins, (well, not really but I tell complete strangers now.)

I told only my immediate family and of course my Husband. My coworkers knew just because the Gal who took me to the support meetings works with me so far there are 3 of us in the building that have the band. All the support from my friends here is very positive as well as with my family. Now the negative my husband told his mother inturn she told my sister inlaws and since then anytime I walk in the house they just stare at me seems my sister inlaw told my husband she would never consider the band or any WLS just because her husband loved her to much to permit it Which is a crock of you know what (excuse my language) this gal went to Mexico this spring and did something cause within a matter of months she was bragging she lost 50 lbs she just won't admit it anyway she is pregnant and has already gained those 50 plus more.

But I do tell non -Inlaw people I come across if asked how I am losing the weight but I also add that I work at it each and everyday.

Sorry so long winded

Yes, it is a very personal decision on who to tell. Aside from my inner circle of trusted confidants, I told this nurse and one other "band candidate." When a very overweight person asks me how I lost the weight, I know they are asking because they want to lose weight, too. It would feel wrong to me to lie or tell a half-truth. But it is very personal and I definitely understand people who don't want to tell.

Nancy

... some of my family members are supportive others seem almost jelouse in a way, an aunt and a cousin say that this is something they would never do because it isn't natural, and that they will know that my weight was lost becasue I had this not because of my own willpower.. I don't really know how to respond to some of their hurtful comments, but I am happy with my decision, and will be happier when I reach my goal weight and they will have even more to be jelouse about!!! I wish I would have never let them know, but oh well what can I do about it.

They have got no idea what it takes, even with the band. This is one part of band life that I believe we need to be more vocal about. It DOES take willpower. There are still those foods and drinks that we could slip in very easily, but we don't(very often :D )because it would defeat the purpose. I believe we should never feel ashamed or put down by those who don't understand what it really takes to be banded. Yeah it makes overeating impossible, but we still have to monitor ourselves, we still have to get off the couch by our own free will for exercise and we do go through all the tricky bits at the start where we have no idea what the heck is going on so we worry at every little niggly sensation. Stick up for yourself and sort out those who ARE jealous. They aren't yet strong enough to take control of their lives. What does it matter how you do it, as long as you do it! Congratulations for taking back your life and never let anyone take that away from you! :banana :banana :banana

Once I have my band AND start to loose weight, I will be more inclined to share my journey with others, but until I start to loose weight and convince myself and know I can do it, only my family will know. I've had too many non loosing experiences (diets) so mums the word until the scales say I've lost...so....shhhhh everyone.

Not to mention, if you're like me and self paying, heck yea, I want everyone to know I spent that kind of money on me, cause I'm worth it!