Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Calling all fitness buffs! Newbie here....

I will have to call her today...thx 4 the advice..I will let you know what she says! ;)

I honestly don't k ow how I could eat anymore and not explode....:/

Edited by funky_monkey800

I would love to hear what she says.

My understanding is that the Protein goal is for life. I don't know why age or whether you were banded or had the sleeve would make a difference. It might for RNY since they may not absorb everything they consume but I don't know enough to be sure.

I do know that Protein is critical for: healing, weight loss, muscles, skin, hair, organs, etc. and for letting your brain know that your body isn't starving so you feel satisfied.

I understand Protein is a goal lol...however the difference between surgeries generally calls for different diets right? I don't know about the others so it was merely a question. Though protein intake is based primarily on weight? Along with other factors say someone at 200 lbs 45 and 6' would have different protein needs than me at 5'5 150lbs and 34? At least that was my understanding.

I left a message for a call back and I will keep ya posted ;)

Here are my current numbers

post-238442-14564224282722_thumb.jpg

post-238442-14564224412312_thumb.jpg

post-238442-14564224605989_thumb.jpg

Ok so here we go. Just got off the phone and it seems as though I'm not a lone wolf when it comes to having a hard time constantly eating. Or getting in all recommended servings. For lap banders she says it usually varys by day. While technically I should be eating more, my numbers in every aspect are fine. While I'm not losing weight body fat has decreased by 5% so I am obviously getting leaner and building muscle. And at over a year out a slowdown is expected. So we will meet tomorrow to make a meal plan...which is tough because 3 meals a day is tough, I'm gonna try...lol. then meeting with a trainer first thing monday. After talking to them on the phone looks like I will be able to do a few days of strength training one on one after my insanity. Ugh! In a good way ;)

I understand Protein is a goal lol...however the difference between surgeries generally calls for different diets right? I don't know about the others so it was merely a question. Though Protein intake is based primarily on weight? Along with other factors say someone at 200 lbs 45 and 6' would have different protein needs than me at 5'5 150lbs and 34? At least that was my understanding.

My surgeon based the protein goal on starting/highest weight, and no, it doesn't change (at least downward). I may need MORE protein for specific reasons (like building muscle mass) but not less. So, as I lose weight, I still have the same protein target I started with.

My surgeon's guidelines:

Women with a starting BMI under 50, 80 grams.

All men, and women with a starting BMI 50 or over, 100 grams.

I understand Protein is a goal lol...however the difference between surgeries generally calls for different diets right? I don't know about the others so it was merely a question. Though Protein intake is based primarily on weight? Along with other factors say someone at 200 lbs 45 and 6' would have different protein needs than me at 5'5 150lbs and 34? At least that was my understanding.

Just some info and articles regarding protein:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/bcumbo_group/discussion/4460021/Protein-Requirements-after-Weight-Loss-Surgery/

Usual protein recommendations for the post-bariatric surgery patient are anywhere from 1 to 2g protein per kg of adjusted body weight—calculated as current body weight (CBW) minus ideal body weight (IBW) multiplied by 25 percent plus IBW [CBW-IBW x 25% + IBW]).25 A minimum of 60 to 70g of protein per day should be ingested.

http://www.shape.com/blogs/weight-loss-coach/double-your-protein-lose-weight-while-maintaining-muscle

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/amos/Are-You-Getting-Enough-Protein-2012.html

How much protein do you need each day?

To calculate your protein needs if you have higher requirements, multiply your body weight in pounds by 0.5 (moderate) to 1.0 (high) to get the number of grams of protein per day. For example: If you weigh 250 pounds, multiply 250 by 0.5 = 125 grams of protein per day for moderate intake or multiply 250 by 1.0 = 250 grams for higher intake. People not needing these higher amounts can multiply their body weight by 0.5 to 0.8 to get their recommended grams of protein per day.

The key is to cram it all into 3 1/4 cup meals. Which I am hoping she can help with.

They discourage Protein shake because they say it won't fill me up. But it honestly takes everything I got to squeeze those in simply for the Vitamins and Protein :/ even when I am not hungry. Thx for all the great info. Keep y'all updated.

The key is to cram it all into 3 1/4 cup meals. Which I am hoping she can help with.

They discourage Protein Shake because they say it won't fill me up. But it honestly takes everything I got to squeeze those in simply for the Vitamins and Protein :/ even when I am not hungry. Thx for all the great info. Keep y'all updated.

Why do you have to "cram" it into 3 meals? I have meals and high-protein Snacks throughout the day.

They said 3 meals a day no grazing. ..

This day got me like....

I can barely get 2 meals in don't know how I could do Snacks too

post-238442-14564268280269_thumb.jpg

So 3 good meals was the goal...3 meals with the bare min of protein/vitamins that I HAVE to eat....and optional (approved) Snacks if I can.

Edited by funky_monkey800

I used to power lift--heavy compound movements. The idea is strength. Anyway, despite squatting over my body weight and benching a little under it, I only firmed up, never bulked. Don't be afraid to lift. Think about how heavy your purse or books or toddler is!

They discourage Protein shake because they say it won't fill me up. But it honestly takes everything I got to squeeze those in simply for the Vitamins and Protein :/ even when I am not hungry. Thx for all the great info. Keep y'all updated.

I had the same problem, a lot of swelling inside made it difficult to consume more than a few bites/sips of anything. My NUT instructed me to avoid anything not a high protein source. No veggies, fruits and of course no sugar, Pasta, rice, potatoes or flour, until I could get all my protein. This took me a year and a half! I missed salad more than anything! Now I eat salad DAILY, lol! I was in constant contact with her & she told me just to keep taking my Vitamins. I still avoid all simple carbs & starchy veggies/fruits, except for an occasional bite as they do cause a day or two of hunger & cravings.

They said 3 meals a day no grazing. ..

This day got me like....

I can barely get 2 meals in don't know how I could do Snacks too

Eating several small meals is not grazing it actually keeps your metabolism up by keeping your blood sugar level. Maybe plan what you would eat for the day, and divide that into 4-6 servings. It is still the same amount of food, but this way you are not eating more than you can handle at one sitting.

Edited by TheRealMeIsHere!

I used to power lift--heavy compound movements. The idea is strength. Anyway, despite squatting over my body weight and benching a little under it, I only firmed up, never bulked. Don't be afraid to lift. Think about how heavy your purse or books or toddler is!

Thx! That's what I want to do mainly is firm up! ;)