Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What food (shake, Jello, etc) should I have at when I come home after surgery? I heard it was Clear liquids for 2 weeks but don't I need a Protein Shake? Do those come in clear liquid?

Do you like to make and sip homemade beef and chicken "bone" broth? If you do, I highly recommend making some now and freezing it in little blocks for whenever you need it.

I am nearly out of all the Bone Broth I made pre surgery so I currently have 3 pots simmering on the stove and they've been simmering for about 48 hours now. When the chicken bones disintegrate in your hands, when the heavy beef bones are stark white, they're "done", you've extracted your nutrients, minerals and collagen. And my nutritionist said this is so much better than the packaged or the cubes in jars, and the stuff they give you in the hospital. Some people can afford all grass fed, some can't. I've had same Gelatin quality results from both. I'm not a scientist so I can't say more than that. Other than it was a godsend!

When you refrigerate it and it turns to a gel, a g jiggly Gelatin, you did it right. =) Heating it up, OMG it's so delicious. Youtube has so many fun and different recipes! It's not the same as "stock". If you have time, make it. My nails are so strong post op, lol. Not losing hair, maybe that doesn't happen yet, I don't know ... ??

I also had tons of Water. Sip Sip Sipping Water. Ice chips. I was allowed sugar free Jello and sugar free Popsicles, but I don't like the tastes of those at all, so it was just bone broth and water for me. =)

It was not hard and I did not feel like I was on a diet or missing out on something. =) I was not allowed any type of Protein mix in. I see here so many surgeons are so different with their guidelines pre and post op.

PS I got bored with chicken and beef, so one day I made it from fish bones and shellfish, mussels, clams, etc. YUM.

Edited by Amelie2016

What food (shake, Jello, etc) should I have at when I come home after surgery? I heard it was Clear Liquids for 2 weeks but don't I need a Protein shake? Do those come in clear liquid?

Follow your surgeon's instructions.

Mine was clear liquids for the first week, with the exception of Premier Protein and a couple of approved ProtiDiet Soups.

Some clear liquids that have Protein are Isopure, ProtiDiet liquid beverage concentrates, and bone broth.

Getting your protein and fluids is critical. If you are I doubt about what you are allowed, call your NUT and ask.

Attached were my post op instruction. I made sure to have a few sugar free jello/pudding on hand, crystal light, plenty of Water, one chicken broth, and some premiere Protein that I like. Don't over buy! One Protein shake last me a day or sometimes more. You'll do great!

post-259116-14561699352361_thumb.jpg

@@Amelie2016

How funny! I just went to the butcher to get bones to make bone broth! He only had morrow bones and no joint bones so I bought some chicken feet too. I made broth years ago and didn't see it gel that much. I'm hoping for the best today!

Did your office provide you with a detailed list?Everyone's plan is different and the answers will be varied. For example, I was only on clear liquids in the hospital , once discharged home I was on full liquids for 2 weeks which included Protein shakes, broth, fat free cream Soups, yogurt, sf Jello, sf pudding, cream of wheat, etc.

Thank you for the replies, I will give the broth info to my husband (he is the cook in our house LOL) I don't have any instructions or a NUT as I am self paying and going to Mexico for the surgery. They told me the first 2 weeks is liquids but I was wondering about the Protein. I am going to get the IsoPure's and already have the Crystal Light, Jello, puddings etc. Where do you get the Premiere Protein at?

You can get it anywhere (grocery, drugstore, Walmart), but definitely the best prices at SAMs or costco.

@@Amelie2016

How funny! I just went to the butcher to get bones to make bone broth! He only had morrow bones and no joint bones so I bought some chicken feet too. I made broth years ago and didn't see it gel that much. I'm hoping for the best today!

It's fun, I hope you enjoy it! There are a few times I wasn't watching the pot and it got to a rolling near-boil. They say that can burn off or break down some of the collagen, so once I kept checking for the simmer bubbles, things turned out gelicious! You're lucky to be near a butcher!

Yep. Being a Foodie is what got me here, lol.