Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How can I take my time chewing? I eat really fast and finding it very hard to chew things 20x's (On Soft Food) or or taking a half hour to eat 1/4 of a cup.

How far out are you? I feel like an idiot chewing refried Beans but I try! I had to say it to myself in my head. Count and chew. Hopefully the habit will just catch on and I won't look like I'm concentrating to eat so hard lol

Use small utensils (like a toddler spoon, appetizer spoon, or even the tip of a teaspoon), take a small bite and try to chew slowly 20 times. Count each chew in your head. Put your utensil down. Either what you are chewing will dissolve before you get to 20 or be mush. Concentrate on the flavor and texture of your food as you chew.

After you have swallowed that bite, then you can pick up your utensil and take another small bite.

Repeat.

It is probably very different from the shovel, swallow, shovel routine that is so easy to get into. I noticed that when I eat that way I am not tasting my food and thinking about the next bite before I have finished taking the current bite.

You may find that you actually enjoy the taste of your food when you slow down. I noticed that I do.

Sometimes I can eat a little faster than others--it's weird. When I've eaten a little too fast, I usually kind of feel it--not so much discomfort, but a feeling of fullness. I actually have to make myself set to spoon down between bites & do something on my phone or start a little conversation w/ the fam or get up & do something, then come back to my food just to try take a good 20-30 min.

I was also a too-fast eater pre-op. I used the following new behaviors to learn to eat more slowly. Now (18 months post-op), I eat SO much more slowly than I did pre-op. Chewing more and eating more slowly satisfies me so much more and allows me to taste and enjoy food more than I used to.

* Count my chews -- 20-30 times.

* Put fork down between bites.

* Eat on smaller plates.

* Use smaller forks and spoons.

* Breathe deeply and relax before and while eating.

* Focus on the food and its tastes, smells, and textures.

Honestly, doing these things makes your food so much more interesting.

You can do this. Good luck. :)

How far out are you? I feel like an idiot chewing refried Beans but I try! I had to say it to myself in my head. Count and chew. Hopefully the habit will just catch on and I won't look like I'm concentrating to eat so hard lol

I'm little over a month in a half out.

I just don't want to stretch my stomach in the process of eating to fast! I just started eating soft foods last Monday.

I despise counting stuff like that. So i just chew whatever needs chewed till its as liquid as i can easily get it

I use the bariatric pal app... it has a chewing timer! It also has an alarm for when it is time to eat and drink!

I use the bariatric pal app... it has a chewing timer! It also has an alarm for when it is time to eat and drink![/quote

I have the app where can I find it!

I use the bariatric pal app... it has a chewing timer! It also has an alarm for when it is time to eat and drink![/quote

When you first open the app, it is on the bottom right in blue. It says timer... once you select it, you can choose what you want timed.

When you first open the app, it is on the bottom right in blue. It says timer... once you select it, you can choose what you want timed.

I don't have it on my app!

I don't have it in my app.

I don't have it in my app.

Do you have the Baritastic app or the bariatricpal downloaded? I have the Baritastic app and it is on there.