Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone had a sleeve done to aid in Back pain?

Hello everyone, I am new to here and I have been in contact with the Mexican Bariatric center. I am as of now waiting for a reply on the medical information I sent and whether Dr Cabrara will be willing to perform a sleeve on me!

I have a brother that actually flew to India for his surgery in Nov 2015 and has done very well losing 80 lb since. We come from a family that seems to have issues or struggles with weight. Reason I am looking into going ahead with the sleeve is I have back issues. I have gone through back surgery once in 2009 that lasted me 1 and half years before the pain returned. It took me a year and an MRI, and EMG to have him tell me I would need to quit smoking and lose 20% of my weight before he would consider a spinal fusion.< /p>

Having been through back surgery once I desperately want to avoid it a second time. Exercise is not easy with my back.. but I can walk and ride my stationary bike.

I am wondering if there is anyone out there that has had either back issues or back surgery and also had the sleeve done? Also if it has helped them where their back pain is concerned when the excess weight has been shed?

I have already made my mind up on doing the surgery.... but just wondering if anyone in a similar situation as I am could shed some light on my questions.

Thanks for reading and any info would be greatly appreciated! :)

Hi Cindy. I too have back issues. I have 7 herniated discs in my lower back and have had 3 minor procedures on it with very little relief. I carry all my weight from my waist down so it just makes things harder. My back is always achy. I have neck issues, shoulder, foot and vein issues all due to my weight (well not my shoulder lol) I can't exercise cause of my foot being fractured and the doctor said its from my weight (who knows why). I would think any weight loss would benefit your back. I do think it would help you. It can help your posture or how you sit. How you stand and just the overall weight you tote around. So yes I too am getting it done to help with my back.

Not sure that this helps you but it can let you know your not alone????

Howdy, Cindy.

Yes....the answer to your question is a resounding YES !

Had a back injury at work and finished it off at home later that day on April 3, 2015. The developing spasms were enough to take me out of work and motivate me to follow my spinal surgeon's advice and have bariatric surgery.

You can see from my profile pics the way I carried my weight.....beer gut that was pulling down on the injury and prolonging the healing.

Surgery in October.....relief began showing up soon after as I had lost a good bit of weight during my pre-op days, too.

So very grateful for the results that are showing up more and more each day.

Absolutely, this surgery as resulted in a much more controlled and lessened back pain. I have degenerative arthritis through out my spine, spondylolithesis in l4/l5, narrowed spinal column. I was taking heavy duty pain meds before and had problems, walking, sitting and sleeping. Almost two years out, down almost 90 lbs and rarely take any pain meds, do yoga, Pilates, barre and some running (read minor) and have virtually minimal pain anymore. Best thing I have ever done for myself. I feel better emotionally and physically.

Thanks a lot Dub and Fat_free for your quick responses! I think my mind now is definitely made up!

I too am on Pain meds... Oxy + Gabapentin for pain. I hate taking anything for pain at all and at times hold off till I am in bad pain. I am elated at the moment because I have just checked my email and have been approved for the surgery in Tijuana. Yaay!! Now all I have to do is make a date.

Here's hoping I can say goodbye to pain meds and I won't need to wait for our great Canadian health care system to pencil me in for surgery!

Once again thanks for your input... :)

I have a herniated lumbar disc. Severe lower back pain that radiated down both legs. My doctor referred me to the surgeon and that was one of the turning points for me, I am not afraid of surgery but I am petrified of back surgery. I decided to try and get into the bariatric program. While in that program the lead bariatric doctor told me that once I lost the weight, the disc may still be herniated but your symptoms may disappear. I had the sleeve done in July 2015 and I am currently close to goal (if I am not already there). No back pain and no pain radiating down my legs. I am off all meds relating to my back pain. Getting the sleeve done was one of the best decisions I ever made and I wish I would have done it sooner. Good luck to you!!

Strangely enough, my back pain moved from my lower back to my mid back at about 4 months after surgery. My surgeon told me this was typical as my bodies center of gravity moved towards my head as my belly fat when down. Started my back strengthening exercises that have virtually eliminated this issue.