Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi!

I'm Kelsie, I have been going through the pre-op diet and exercise to get approved for Gastric Bypass.

I thought I had two weeks left, but I just realized that this is my last week! Next week hopefully everything will be signed off and submitted through insurance.

:mellow: I'm really surprised that it snuck up on me like that!

I have not had a ton of luck in weight loss during this phase, but I have been making the changes slower with hopes that they will be able to be sustained for long term. I still need to kick my love for carbonated drinks... I know I will get there but they just keep coming back into my life!

I am married with a butthead of a husband who has absolutely horrible eating habits, like, can eat a 1/2 tub ice cream in a sitting and refuses more vegetables than my toddler and has a 32" waist! He is supportive in pretty much every area except this. He keeps saying it will change and he will eat better once I have my surgery, but I know it will be a struggle. Luckily he is getting used to me not allowing crap in our house! I also have a two year old son that keeps me busy chasing him around.

I am an RN and about a year ago I switched from the bedside to a telenursing role so I could spend more time with my family. The fact that I work from home makes it great! The sedentary role of my job alongside the 25lbs I gained after starting... not so much!

I am definitely looking forward to getting to know some people here! I don't have a ton of people in my real life, so I figured I would come check this place out!

Hi, and welcome! You will find that this site is a great place to do research, ask questions and sometimes just vent.

Sodas can be hard to give up and doubly so if they have caffeine in them. The sooner you give them up, though, the easier the transition will be for you. Maybe you can change over to Crystal Light or something like that if you don't like Water too much. Some people give sodas up gradually and others all at once. I am an all at once kind of person - had a really wicked headache...but once I gave them up I never looked back.

I know it can be hard when your spouse eats differently. For instance, my husband (we have been married for almost 41 years) has always eaten what he wants and has never gained weight. He doesn't have the high blood pressure or high cholesterol that I had. But he has had cancer for the last 6 years and has lost a lot of weight from surgeries and chemo. He has been through a lot and I don't feel as though making him change to my diet is fair. In other words, even though I put plenty of Protein and veggies on his plate, I also fix him potatoes, bread, rice and Pasta - even though I don't eat them anymore. We always have veggies and fruits in the house for Snacks, but I also have other stuff in the house for him if he wants it.

I changed my way of eating about 5 months before surgery and stuck with it with pure will power and determination - knowing that I was preparing for surgery and a healthier life - knowing that this time I would have a tool to help me not only lose weight but with a change in lifestyle - to keep it off. It surely wasn't easy to do with my husband eating whatever but I can be pretty focused and disciplined when I put it in short terms. Sometimes as short as ....'I will get through today', etc - pretty soon it got easier and easier. Now that I have had gastric bypass I find that I am not even tempted by what he eats. I can prepare meals for us knowing that I am taking care of myself the way I need to.

I am 4 months out from surgery and still have trouble getting in the 800 calories that my NUT wants me to get in every day. Those 800 calories are mostly Protein with sometimes fruit or veggies added in. I haven't tried sweets at all because 1) they don't tempt me yet and 2) I am afraid of dumping. I have found that I don't tolerate lactose, cream or anything fatty. In fact, I crave healthy foods. I know that this might change in time, but I am looking at this period as a good 'training' for the rest of my life.

Before surgery (and even now) it helped me to plan my day of food and to track everything I put into my mouth. Not planning my day was dangerous and made me prone to eat whatever appealed to me at the moment. I am not saying that once in a while (before surgery) I didn't go off plan - but because I tracked everything it was easier to be honest and truthful with myself.

Also, I keep my goals ever before me. Some people don't like weighing every day. I love seeing the scale go down - knowing where I started - knowing where I'm headed. I was able to lose 30 lbs before surgery and every pound I was able to lose brought me closer to the goal of surgery and a new me. A great motivator for me right now is a 'before' picture - I don't ever want to go back to that!

I've written a book - sorry about that. You will find that as each of us are different - so are our journeys - but we are all here to support each other. That comes with love (sometimes tough love) and as many different opinions as there are people here. I shared with you what has worked for me; you need to explore what works for you. Go through the site and read the wealth of threads available; there are lots of questions and lots of answers! I wish you success on your journey.

Thanks!

Welcome and let us know if we can be of any help.

I have not had a ton of luck in weight loss during this phase, but I have been making the changes slower with hopes that they will be able to be sustained for long term. I still need to kick my love for carbonated drinks... I know I will get there but they just keep coming back into my life!

Welcome Kelsie!

I gave up a fairly major Diet Coke addiction the end of July, right after deciding to get surgery for sure (I took it gradually and it took the better part of the month of July). I had read on here about the people who went through caffeine withdrawal and post surgery pain together and knew I DID NOT want to try that. By surgery I had been caffeine free about 4 months. I have not regretted it. I really do think that recovery was much better without the extra pain. I also don't miss it. By then end of February I will be 6 months without a diet coke!

I agree with @@miiasan that planning is huge. I have to plan everything and that is so not my personality at least not where food was concerned. I was more of a whatever I am hungry for kind of eater. Now its all about Protein and hydration.

Best of luck to you!

pam

Hi I'm new to this chat room too. I've already done my classes, lost 23 pounds another 22 to go. I'm working on exercising more its hard. So is the giving up on sodas. I'm gradually giving them up. I think my surgery should be in April maybe, no set date yet. I wish you luck on your journey. Take care and keep in touch.

@@kjwrn

Hi Kelsie & welcome!

Congratulations on making your way through the process. It certainly isn't easy but it is so worth it. My process took 9 months from start to finish and honestly with the exception of the last month, it flew by.

That last month was like pure torture.

Feel free to reach out with questions if you have them. Like you, I don't have a lot of friends outside my home but I have a whole world of friends on this site.

Thanks! So what are the things you guys wished you knew/realized after your surgery that you wished you knew before? Any recommendations for things to stock up on? What Vitamins do you all like the best?

I am trying to get everything stocked up and ready so when I do finally get scheduled I don't have to worry about much!

You might want to try different types of Protein shakes that are recommended by your doctor's office before surgery. The liquid portion of the diet - both before and after was the worst part of it all. I used Premier Protein Shakes - they tasted good and were pre-mixed which made it easy. Some folks don't like them, though, so trying out different kinds before surgery would be a good idea. That being said, after surgery I was lactose intolerant - so my stomach didn't like the shakes too well (or anything with whey). I tried several different types of Protein Shakes (and hated most of them)and also used powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury unflavored Protein powder in my Soups. I got through the liquid stage - but weaned myself off the shakes as soon as I was able. I don't touch them now lol.

If you look, you will probably find lots of discussion on here about Protein shakes and the liquid diet. For me, the best thing to get through it was to tell myself over and over again that it was not forever. I can do anything for a specified period of time.

If you find you are lactose intolerant Fair Life Milk is really good. No lactose - more protein per serving than milk and tastes great. It is expensive, though. I get mine at Walmart.< /p>

Practice before surgery what your doctor will want you to do afterwards. I think it makes the transition easier.

My stomach could not tolerate Water for a couple of months after surgery - drinking Water was really painful. I drank low sodium chicken broth, Powerade zero and crystal light. Warm liquids went down better than cold - so except for the broth, I drank everything at room temperature.

I purchased Bariatric Advantage multi essentials because it was chewable and had all the Vitamins in it that I need to take now that I have had the surgery. I do not need to take Iron, but they also have the Vitamins with Iron. I also purchased some Calcium chews through them. Of course, there are several brands - and are all probably about equal. I think taking a bariatric Vitamin saves me a lot of worry about whether I am getting enough of everything - and it is all in 2 tablets a day.

I had to grind up all my other meds and mix with unsweetened applesauce for the first two weeks after surgery. It was absolutely awful and I was so glad that my doctor cleared me to swallow pills at my two week appointment.

After surgery I did not have the 'i'm full' sensation for about 2 weeks. I could drink my protein and water with no problem at all. I remember wondering about it - but it eventually came. So, be careful not to do something or eat something that you are not supposed to because it goes down well and you don't get that 'full' sensation the first few weeks. My doctor's office had someone who ate a cheeseburger a week after surgery and ended back in the hospital for more surgery. It is important to follow the plan no matter what so you can heal.

A few thoughts (and another book lol)

Thanks! So what are the things you guys wished you knew/realized after your surgery that you wished you knew before? Any recommendations for things to stock up on? What Vitamins do you all like the best?

I am trying to get everything stocked up and ready so when I do finally get scheduled I don't have to worry about much!

Get the sugar free syrups to make your shakes taste better. Also, Protein water! I wish I had known those two things during the liquid stage after the surgery.

oh - and I think most of us gained weight with the surgery - they pump you full of liquids - so don't be surprised when you get home and weigh more than when you go into surgery. Also - your weight will stall - just know it now so you won't be frustrated later. Mine stalled after only 1 week and stayed stalled for almost a month. Of course, not everyone is 'blessed' with as many stalls as I have - but, hey - I'm special lol. Anyway, my point is - the weight still comes off - everyone at their own rate. You have to trust in the process - keep doing what you are supposed to and try not to get frustrated.

Thanks! I am familiar with Protein Shakes as I have been working out off and on the past 3 years, I really like Isopure, but it's pricey! I did have a very unfortunate realization that unflavored Protein Powder does not mean flavorless ???? yuck! I'm hoping it is less noticeable in Soups and puréed foods! I have been seeing Unjury a lot, how is it taste wise?

I imagine maybe they are talking about the coffee flavoring syrups? I can't remember the brand, maybe Torre? That is a good idea I never thought of!