Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

addiction to carbs/need advice

Thanks Jess for the information. My kids are 2, 4 & 7. They eat tiny amounts. I am just not confident that without complex carbs that they could reach their energy requirements.

Thanks Jess for the information. My kids are 2, 4 & 7. They eat tiny amounts. I am just not confident that without complex carbs that they could reach their energy requirements.

Complex carbs are the good ones--veggies, fruits, sweet potatoes, quinoa--bread rice and Pasta (unless you are talking whole grain) are the simple carbs.

It's all a choice. My daughter has avoided bread rice and Pasta on her own since she was about four. My son is like me and LOVES them. When I first took his Mac an cheese and chicken nuggets and pizza and made them treats instead of staples he had a FIT but he's okay now.

They can definitely meet their energy requirements without the white/simple carbs that you need to avoid. They might hate it at first, but they would adjust and might be healthier in the long run.

If you don't want to make that choice, that's FINE. Everyone is entitled to make their own dietary choices. You can feel your children however you want.

I'm just saying it CAN be done. You said you couldn't. I'm a firm believer in knowing you have a choice and then supporting whatever your choice is.

There is a difference between complex carbs and simple carbs.

It's the starches (simple carbs) and added sugar that we as a society eat way too much of because they are cheap and filling (at least in the short term).

Dumb question, but what is Mac and cheese? It has been mentioned several times. Is it macaroni?

^^^ Thank you

Dumb question, but what is Mac and cheese? It has been mentioned several times. Is it macaroni?

Macaroni Pasta with a bechamel based cheese sauce. Often then baked with bread crumbs and more cheese on top

That would be lovely, but in the States "mac and cheese" usually means this:

pDGC1-20738201v380.jpg

Oh. We do have that. The cheese comes in a tin? It doesn't seem like a very popular food (here). I have had it once.

I was also a carb addict! That was hardest part. Right after surgery i slipped alot even though it would make me vomit. Then the holidays were filled with sugar. Now i am back on track and following a ketogenic diet. For me it helps to set limits and track food. That way its never saying you cant have something it just saying its going to cost you other choices.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Any type of processed carbs are my enemy... I can't find a happy medium with them!!!! If I start my day off with with them, it's all down hill. It's an issue and I have to avoid them at all costs!!!

I was also a carb addict! That was hardest part. Right after surgery i slipped alot even though it would make me vomit. Then the holidays were filled with sugar. Now i am back on track and following a ketogenic diet. For me it helps to set limits and track food. That way its never saying you cant have something it just saying its going to cost you other choices.

Been looking for a sleever who follows a ketogenic diet coz from what I read so far I got overwhelmed by its complexity - even though my carb addiction tells me Keto is my only way out of this mess.

How r u doing so far? How are the macros especially on the Protein side? Would u recommend it for ppl who had done vsg? Any tips on how to get into that lifestyle? Been failing every day for a week now and giving in to my carb cravings every night :/