Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stabbing pain in left shoulder/hip

Yesterday was the first day I went out on errands, with my mother. I went to one small farm store for more broth ingredients, and one regular grocery store. The day before, I did some light yard work. My surgery date was feb 1st, My first follow up is tomorrow at 1pm.

But yesterday after errands, 4pm ish, I was moving around and had stabbing shoulder pains, and also stabbing hip pains with it. Now that I've read leaks can cause pain , what exactly is the shoulder pain like?

Because it went away, and has not returned except for just now getting on the keyboard and it was light, not at all like yesterday.

What does a "leak" shoulder pain feel like? Is it constant?

I'm a nervous wreck, happy and feeling good, then sad and anxious as heck!

I'm so ready for some nutrition, too. Really, Clear liquids is reminiscent of the teen anorexia competitions! *sigh*

Signed -bad mood, nervous ...no, terrified.

PS no fever, blood pressure is normal, I'm just extra tired today like I need nutrients. I've been using Bone Broth, Water. I do not like Jello and popsicles. I'll try Powerade zero, but all artificial sweeteners are the first note I taste in anything, it's sad, not a fan.

Oh well, rambling now, thank you.

I have been using my arms for boosting myself up more than ever and sleeping upright-ish on a wedge pillow.

I wouldn't assume there is a leak. In your first week out, gas pains are very typical because of the CO2 with which the surgeon pumps your stomach to check for a leak. It seems like this would be mainly residual air from this step. To put your mind at ease, you would generally be experiencing sweats and elevated heart rate were there an actual problem with your staple line. Best wishes!

Yep I am sure it is gas pains as I have been going through it to. I had 3 surgeries Jan 26th. On the 29th I woke up with a terrible stabbing pain in my right lower back shoulder area. I saw the the surgeon on Feb 3rd for the 1 week followup he ignored it. That night I called the PCP and was in his office the next day Thursday. At first we thought it was a broken rib as I had to be pulled up off the toilet with a PT life belt the day after surgery. He did X-rays no broken ribs. So he assumed it was just badly bruised ribs.

Well guess what 4 days later on Sunday the pain moved to my right breast armpit area. During the follow up visit on Monday we came to the conclusion it was terrible gas pains because it had moved. I am not able to walk so he suggested I increase the Gas X strips and just do some chair exercises. Yesterday was 2 week post op surgery and I was finally allowed to eat an egg. Today I think because of being able to eat an egg a day and increasing the Gas X strips everything is moving nicely and no more gas pain. Believe me I know that pain is horrible. It feels like your being stabbed with a knife. Hopefully some of the suggestions the PCP gave to me will help you also. Good Luck

Gas pains.

Oh thank you all so much!

Tomorrow I get a barium swallow test, I'll check back in. Bless you!

That's why I love this site, most of you have 'been there, done that' *hugs*

Amelie

Seems weird but it's true! Good luck!

Gas pains I had them too. SO PAINFUL! Walk as much as you can it makes the gas dissipate.

Good News!

I had my second post op leak test, barium swallow today and no leaks!

I actually asked the Dr. to let me do it twice so I could watch it. It happens so fast on the screen once you watch the barium pass from the esophagus into the new stomach tube, then settle at the bottom. SO very cool to watch!

No leaks!

Good check up, 10 days out things are going as smoothly as they should be. *happy happy*

I get to add Protein shakes now to my Water and broth routine. And I've even lost 21.5 pounds. Since surgery that is. Amazing. I'm really less concerned about weight loss now than I am being careful, compliant and healing my body. So I'm just so relieved at this stage. Next Stages on the way!

Edited by Amelie2016