Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do WLS patients ultimately go back to eating anything?

"I didn't get WLS and then expect to be on a diet for the rest of my life!" are words I've seen posted numerous times on WLS forums.

The word "diet" doesn't freak me out like it does some folks. But I think what they are really saying is that they are hoping for a life where they can no longer overeat and will always be able to eat "regular foods" in moderation. In short, they want a surgical result that removes the risk of succumbing to old temptations.

The trouble is that long-term that's not how WLS usually pans out. Everyone I've read who's 3-4-5 or more years post-op (with a sleeve) agrees that being aware, consistent, disciplined and mindful is very important to their long-term success.

As @@Rogofulm said:

We didn't get heavy through self-discipline, but that's what it takes to get [and stay] thin.

For the last two years I've been in therapy, focusing in part on improving my abilities to care for my health consistently. What became apparent early on in therapy was that I have a tendency toward impulsiveness. As with all personal attributes, my impulsiveness isn't an all or nothing condition, but varies depending on the situation and environment. For instance, I seldom overeat when life hits me hard, but tend to eat more when I'm happy and celebrating and in the presence of others who are happy and celebrating.

After recognizing this tendency in myself, I've focused a lot on consistency in food planning to ensure my food is nutritious. Most days I track my food and liquids on MFP. I weigh daily and record my daily weight. I suppose some would think I'm on a "lifetime diet," since I try daily to eat 80-100 grams of Protein, 5 low-starch veggies/fruits, whole grains, and healthy oils. But I also have wine, dark chocolate, bread, even occasionally pizza. However, I eat those foods in smaller portions than the healthier foods I choose.

Thank goodness, I don't have to be perfect. But I can be successful long-term IF I remain disciplined and consistent in how I eat and exercise. And in the last 18 months I've finally learned what it takes for me to remain that disciplined and consistent.

@@VSGAnn2014, I think you really nailed it when you wrote:

"Everyone I've read who's 3-4-5 or more years post-op (with a sleeve) agrees that being aware, consistent, disciplined and mindful is very important to their long-term success." I've often read that mindful eating is a key to long-term success. And I can vouch for the fact that when I eat more than I should, it's usually done mindlessly, like munching while watching TV or surfing the Web, which was one of @@Bufflehead's points earlier in this thread. This is must-read stuff!

Wow!!! My surgery is on the 29th.. I am so thankful to have read this entire conversation!!

I'm choosing to have wls because I want this tool to help me with my new lifestyle. During this process I've even finished the Marine Corp 10k in Washington DC.. However my eating has always been a struggle.. Not from sweets or fats but because of volume..

Reading this forum has given me a realistic perspective that my relationship with food and my new stomach comes with a learning curve. I didn't decide to get this surgery to keep on keeping on.. I want the lifestyle change, I'm ready for it and I will not let myself down anymore.

Thanks for sharing your opinions and experiences... It truly helps!

Wow!!! My surgery is on the 29th.. I am so thankful to have read this entire conversation!!

I'm choosing to have wls because I want this tool to help me with my new lifestyle. During this process I've even finished the Marine Corp 10k in Washington DC.. However my eating has always been a struggle.. Not from sweets or fats but because of volume..

Reading this forum has given me a realistic perspective that my relationship with food and my new stomach comes with a learning curve. I didn't decide to get this surgery to keep on keeping on.. I want the lifestyle change, I'm ready for it and I will not let myself down anymore.

Thanks for sharing your opinions and experiences... It truly helps!

Sounds like you are setting yourself up to be very successful post-op. A good attitude goes a long way.

In a word: yes, but in generally less than one-quarter the prior proportions. I can tolerate anything, and alcohol feels just like it did before. I was frightened by all the stories about one drink feeling like six but that has just not been the case. That said, I am choosing to generally abstain from any beverage but Water because I am trying to maximize losing phase.

I had the sleeve and I can pretty much eat anything I want. There are things I choose to stay away from because they are trigger foods. I don't eat bread much because it fills me up so quickly and then I am hungry again in an hour. It's just not worth it. I do eat in moderation. My NUT taught us to always eat your Protein source first. Well, I hit a 5 week long stall so I met with her again. She told me I needed to add some carbs! She actually told me to eat a potato. I almost fell in the floor. I added some carbs in and low and behold I started losing weight again. Now, if I get a baked potato I have maybe 3 or 4 bites with spray butter only. I used to be a big Pasta fan. Well, Pasta is not all that great for you. Now I use zucchini noodles and it is amazing! You adapt. On my birthday, I had a cupcake from the bakery. It took both my husband and I 3 nights to finish one cupcake between us, but I ate it. I have 1/2 cup homemade ice cream on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nights. I don't feel guilty for it either. Life is about balance. You cannot out exercise a horrible diet. You just can't. I stay away from things like Cheez Its because I love them, but I will eat them until I am sick. I pre-portion my foods so I know what I am getting.