Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mediterranean Style Eating

The most eye roll inducing/ridiculous/annoying thing about having an adult discussion and disagreement is someone standing in a corner, pointing fingers and screaming "STOP FIGHTING!!!", "STOP ARGUING!!!", "BE FRIENDLY!!".

Just because people are saying they don't care for the verbiage or stance that another is taking does not mean they are "bitch slapping", need to "take a deep breath" or "get off their hind legs".

How offensive.

If I may, I'd like the weigh in on this discussion. Weigh in....hehehee...ok...

For me, listening to ALL points of view has been extremely helpful. I'm 11 months out, and have been seriously off the rails for a couple of months. Such a creature of habit, with 67 years practice, it's challenging to change, and stay the course.

What I liked best about this discussion is the notion of finding what works best for your body. Sounds like a simple concept, but it has opened my eyes to the wide variety of options that works for folks.

Thanks to everyone for their contributions! You never know what is going to help a fellow traveler on this journey.

Every time I see the title of this post come up in my feed I start fantasizing about my next trip to a Mediterranean restaurant. It's my favorite food but the two closest restaurants are thirty miles away in opposite directions.

Dub,

From everything I have read +/or seen, Weiner is far too obsessed with taking "selfies"...

"Weiner selfies"?

I guess one has to be from the North East or into Politics to get this. Sorry.

("Weiner" as in Anthony Weiner, the former Representative from N.Y.. Although the other way fits too - pun intended).

Bingo!

The most eye roll inducing/ridiculous/annoying thing about having an adult discussion and disagreement is someone standing in a corner, pointing fingers and screaming "STOP FIGHTING!!!", "STOP ARGUING!!!", "BE FRIENDLY!!".

Just because people are saying they don't care for the verbiage or stance that another is taking does not mean they are "b***h slapping", need to "take a deep breath" or "get off their hind legs".

How offensive.

No corner standing going on here.

I am stating my opinion of all of the discord here. There is no need for it.

If you are honestly taking offense to anything I have said then I have made my points: Stand down, take a deep breath and enjoy the diversity, not the divisiveness.

I will pray for you.

Valentina

Ladies! Do we need to get the Water hose to break this up? Please get down off of your hind legs and take a deep breath.

Are we all hear to share, support, listen and learn? Even if we do not always agree with another's opinion, aren't we at the same time "learning" that we really DO believe in our own beliefs and the reasons why we do (or eat) what we do?

I am a dairy farmer's daughter, so of course I eat red meat (I can and have slaughtered animals myself--such is the circle of life on a farm). I'm sure there are vegetarians who own leather shoes ,wallets, purses, or gloves, wear silk garments, have had sutures made of animal gut, or even had a flu shot--all of which comes from slaughtered animals. Yes, I loved cream in my coffee and butter on my home made bread. I am also severely allergic to all legumes--especially anything soy. Try balancing all of that with a successful post sleeve diet. But ya know what? I thoroughly enjoy reading how other's are coping with their up bringing, their day to day diet pre surgery, and how they are or are planning to adapt those eating habits for the "new life" of post bariatric surgery.

Our minds should never be soo closed that there is no room for a new idea or thought. It may not prove to be right for you, but one can never be over informed.

Be kind, patient, listen, absorb whatever will benefit you, and store the rest in the archives of your mind for a later discussion.

Diversity is what this country is all about. We are all free to speak as we wish, worship as we wish, go where we wish and even eat what we wish---as long as we do no harm. I think that is a pretty good mantra to live by.

I think I'll repost this. I believe some of you misread or misinterpreted what I wrote. I stand behind every word. Think about it, please.

For as much as people complain about "chemicals" and "toxins" in their food, they are awfully quick to buy into another set of meaningless dietary buzzwords like "natural" and "clean," trading one ideology for another. People are also so quick to dismiss doctors who underwent 11-14 years of education/training/residency, and dieticians/scientists who devote their lives to the art and practice of nutrition as "Western Medicine" ignorants and corporate fatcats. You are free to make your own choices, but "instinct" and "intuition" doesn't mean you somehow possess secret, ancient knowledge beyond the scope of the medical profession.

Doctors advocate Protein, which comes in the form of Protein shakes (not dead animal flesh, I couldn't start feasting on adorable, defenseless animals until two months out). High Protein can be done on non-meats, however they often require a higher quantity of consumption (which puts stress/stretch on sleeves), and the cost/inconvenience/familiarity/cultural preference often has people going with a grilled chicken breast over a complicated veggie casserole that often contains more starch/carbs than it does protein. A meat-heavy diet is not doctors failing to understand the basic tenets of veganism; it is a matter of function and convenience, because those are the most effective ways of maintaining a long-term plan. In a range of studies, 75%-84% of vegans/vegetarians return to eating meat, so doctors are reluctant or resistant to advocating it to patients who are already experiencing extreme stress and an upheaval of life.

Wanna go vegetarian? Wanna go full vegan? Find that you function well deviating from the typical post-OP plan? Awesome. More power to you. But don't come in here peddling ideological beliefs and anecdotes in food/medicine as legitimate science or die-hard fact. "Healthy" food companies are just as quick to capitalize on your fears (and typically spend big money to put out misleading news articles and pseudo-science articles to take your money).

Next time you go to Whole Foods, check out the box of the next Natural Organic Non-GMO* product. Pay strict attention to the asterisk. It is usually accompanied by a disclaimer that there is no benefit to consumption as measurable/detectable by scientific study.

As a nurse with a strong background in nutrition, it's great that patients are empowered and invested in their own health. But fact isn't something you "believe" in. It exists regardless of what you think or not. So please think twice before you advocate for belief versus well-supported science and trash an entire profession as people that just don't understand your high and mighty, esoteric plane of consciousness.

And with that, I'm going to go eat some more salami.

Also when looking for PLU numbers on produce, look for the number " 9 " in front of the code. Stores will mix in organic with non organic. But even lately the organic food (before surgery) was tasting off at my local Whole Foods, especially the heirloom tomatoes. Back to the old Styrofoam, tasteless Tomato, it was! =(

Like most have said I'm all for posting all kinds of opinions I just dislike using loaded language.

I am high Protein low refined carb and am healthier than I've ever been--age 47 and running marathons and at 18% body fat. I think a smattering of health problem postings isn't enough to make a generalization about people who follow that eating plan.

I'm glad eating that way works for you, but please don't paint such broad strokes about doctors or those of us who eat that way.

Also, I'm a big fan of learning to listen to your body, but I don't think many of us can hear it early out or even in the first year or two. If we could we probably wouldn't have ended up obese. I would recommend starting by following an eating plan recommended by a doctor or nutritionist your trust (and that may be one you find in a book or online not your surgeon or their nut). Then very gradually you can try listening to your body. It whispers at first because it's used to being ignored. But eventually it speaks louder.

Has the OP ever even came back? We have the random trolls that come here, post a buncha garbage and never show back up to respond to people or defend their points.

When I first saw the title of this thread I thought it was actually about Mediterranean style eating, but instead it is about being vegetarian. Vegetarians don't offend me, I like Vegan food, and I understand the thought behind it. Growing up with a native american background I have a different attitude about eating animal flesh.

I have no issues with OPs point of view. Just the post and dash and the no supporting numbers whatsoever. There are plenty of vegans and vegetarians who post here without sounding like they are talking down to the plebs.

Every time I see the title of this post come up in my feed I start fantasizing about my next trip to a Mediterranean restaurant. It's my favorite food but the two closest restaurants are thirty miles away in opposite directions.

ME TOOOOOOOOO!

Just because people are saying they don't care for the verbiage or stance that another is taking does not mean they are "b***h slapping", need to "take a deep breath" or "get off their hind legs".

How offensive.

No corner standing going on here.

I am stating my opinion of all of the discord here. There is no need for it.

If you are honestly taking offense to anything I have said then I have made my points: Stand down, take a deep breath and enjoy the diversity, not the divisiveness.

I will pray for you.

Valentina

There was no "discord" but there was discussion.

I'm not offended but your comments are condescending and quite frankly, more argumentative than anything else posted in this thread. I've no need to "stand down", "take a deep breath" or any other "advice" you'd like to give.

Thanks!

Like most have said I'm all for posting all kinds of opinions I just dislike using loaded language.

I am high Protein low refined carb and am healthier than I've ever been--age 47 and running marathons and at 18% body fat. I think a smattering of health problem postings isn't enough to make a generalization about people who follow that eating plan.

I'm glad eating that way works for you, but please don't paint such broad strokes about doctors or those of us who eat that way.

Also, I'm a big fan of learning to listen to your body, but I don't think many of us can hear it early out or even in the first year or two. If we could we probably wouldn't have ended up obese. I would recommend starting by following an eating plan recommended by a doctor or nutritionist your trust (and that may be one you find in a book or online not your surgeon or their nut). Then very gradually you can try listening to your body. It whispers at first because it's used to being ignored. But eventually it speaks louder.

EXACTLY.

@ LipstickLady,

I will pray for you that you may receive the peace of acceptance of all peoples and their mannerisms of idea and speech without feeling that you have to be abrasive to be able to share your own ideas and speech.

God Bless you, Be healthy and happy,

Valentina

@ LipstickLady,

I will pray for you that you may receive the peace of acceptance of all peoples and their mannerisms of idea and speech without feeling that you have to be abrasive to be able to share your own ideas and speech.

Valentina

I truly hope you are praying the same for yourself. ;)

@ LipstickLady,

Valentina

I truly hope you are praying the same for yourself. ;)

Every night.

Ignore button. Click!

:)