Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How can I reduce inflammation without NSAID?

So I have bad TMJ issue (pain in jaw joint area) that started up a few weeks ago. I wanted to reduce swelling/inflammation to see if I can help solve the problem. Thing is, as I'm sure you all know NSAID's which would help this issue are a big no-no on gastric bypass. Are there any safe ways to help with this? Thanks for the help =)

The best way I have found is to have Botox injections.

I'm not sure it would help TMJ (which I get too), but to reduce swelling and bruising after plastic surgery I was told to take Arnica Montana. It was ok with the sleeve. Worked like a charm as far as that kind of swelling went. May be worth a try?

It's a natural remedy...I'm told you can find it at a health food type store, or I just got it off Amazon. I took it 4x a day (4x 30c pellets 4 x a day).

Good luck !

I'm sooo glad someone brought this up. I felt all alone on this issue, but was afraid to seem like I was "whining". I started my pre op diet on 1/24, and they also told me to stop the nsaid, too. It was a HUGE issue, and my PCP knew it. I have fibromyalgia, PCOS, spinal hernia with spinal stenosis and stress fractures, and severe neuropathy in my legs and feet. I've been on Indocin, and Relafen for a very long time. They helped me have a really good quality of life, be as pain free as possible, and be able to get out bed and function and hold down a job.

It has been so hard and I have suffered terrible flares of pain and widespread inflammation. My PCP has me on some prescription pain meds, and said as I lose weight I will be in less pain. I really hope she is right. The pain meds are helping, but it's not the same as NSAIDS!!!

So, to everyone having pain from inflammatory disease/syndromes, I really empathize with you ????. I will think of you and add you to my prayer list. We are going to make it, and we are going to feel better! I recite that everyday to stay focused ????!

This sounds like a good question for your PCP and/or surgeon's office.

I hope you feel better soon.

Yea I was gonna call my surgery office just wanted to see if anyone had any ideas for now. I don't know if it's just me but my PCP is totally clueless on all of this stuff.. maybe I should find a new one, lol.

I go to a pain management doctor and so far he is stumped about this. One of his nurses suggested Turmeric which is an herbal remedy. I have been taking it for about two weeks and I think it is actually helping. It is a natural anti inflammatory. It comes in capsules but you can open the capsule and mis the powder with a little applesauce or sugar free pudding. I just use about a tablespoon of pudding and make a really thick paste and try to gulp it down in one swallow. The herb is what they make curry powder from so the flavor is pretty strong. I always take it with a meal. I'll post again if they come up with any other solutions.

I suffer from severe Osteo arthritis in my knee - it's actually a really long story that stems from an accident when I was a teenager. Anyway, I have been taking NSAIDS for 20 years, faithfully, never missing a dose. I had my RNY in August and haven't had an NSAID since 2 weeks before that. I, now can not fully straighten my knee (I have never been able to fully bend it), which prevents me from walking correctly. Because it is not straight, it is making my already shortened leg even shorter hence, making it very difficult to walk. I, now, totally rely on a walking cane. You would think losing 62 pounds would make things better not worse, lol. So, I asked my surgeon if I could take Turmeric supplements or glucosamine chondroitn or something. She said "NO". She said because they have inflammation reducing properties and that is what causes ulcers. But, she did say it was ok to get injections. The injections help, but, not totally. I will be having surgery, some time, this year - yay! just what I wanted, more major surgery.I really feel for anyone with inflammation issues.

Well shoot on not being able to take Turmeric. I have a follow up with my surgeon next week so I will ask questions on this. It seems like something has got to help. I hate being on pain medication and I hate chronic, gnawing pain even more. I've had good results with acupuncture in the past but it is expensive, Medicare won't cover it and it is $65 a visit. I was going once a week for several months when I had it before. Can't handle that now.