Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band Gone A Year 1/2 Ago..Sleeve on the way. Anyone Else?

I 've pondered over this for well over a year now, and have decided to go with the sleeve. It really makes since for me to take that route b/c I'm considered a lower weight person. I'm 5' 2" and weigh 215. I feel RNY may be a little too much for me. I'm older person and still have comorbidities after the removal of the band(which didn't help anyway). I've tried doing this on my own w/o having another surgery but I'm struggling too hard with not much success. Has anyone else done this or have been in my shoes. Please respond, I'd like to hear from others if so......Thanks!

Edited by ebonymc

There are many revision people here. I actually did great with my band while it was working, but once it slipped and I was never able to keep a fill in it I gradually gained back every pound... I knew that I needed some help to lose and keep off the weight. I find the Sleeve to be everything I wanted, and I think you will be very happy with your decision. Search the forums and you can probably find numerous threads on recovery and results after revision!

Good luck!

Hi!! I am so happy to read your post. I have not found ANYONE who I can relate to. I just rejoined bariatricpal but I am so similar to your story looking to relate to anyone.

My band slipped 1/15/14 I swore off another surgery and tried to lose naturally.

In two years I have tried every yo-yo diet, shake, spray, and kale drink I could hoping and praying it would work. to my disappointment nothing has worked.

I went in Monday for my appointment and I am scheduled to be sleeved March 28th hoping nothing will stop me now.

How are you coping? I have found it VERY difficult and have struggled these past two years. I am hoping I have have the same success with the band that I did with the sleeve. I went from highest 255, 236 day of band, 129 lowest band weight and now I am up to 190. I'd love to help and support you and hopefully we can help each other.

cara

Hi I am also 5ft 2 and went from 220 to 110 with the band, the first year was ok the second year, a year of hell. The band came out in May 2015 and I was sleeved 12/21/2015. I gained 41lbs in those 7months. I has some complications with the sleeve op and spent the first few weeks crying (but for me nothing is as back as being fat). Well I am seven weeks out, struggling a bit with eating and drinking, but I am now down 25lbs, and I get stronger each day. My advice is go for it before the weight piles back on when that band comes out it is very hard to stop the weight going back on.

Yes, it is a struggle trying to lose on your own after years of trying everything else. Most ppl don't understand including my husband, but hopefully he'll come around. I just really need to do this for my health first and for me second. Am I scared? YES I am. I'm happy to know that I have others in my shoes.

So happy I found this thread. I had the band for 2.5 years and did really well with it as far as losing weight goes. I'm 5'8" and weighed 254 before band. Got down to 160 with the band, but had some complications due to infection. I slowly gained weight with an Unfilled band for about 8months and got back up to 190. The band finally had to come out in November 2013 (infection), and I gained 70pounds over the next 2 years. Tried every diet during those couple years, and finally decided on the sleeve. I'm hoping to have surgery in March of this year. I wish I wouldn't have waited that long. But here we are at 264lbs (10 more than when I had the band out in) Grrrrrr :(

You are definitely not alone. Feel free to follow me along on YouTube. I go into a little more detail on there. Please feel free to ask me anything. I started documenting this journey with videos. Search: Jenn's band to sleeve journey

Hi all, I'm am currently starting the process with insurance from band to sleeve. I had great weight loss with the band, went from 310lbs to 137lbs, but the band slipped in 2014 and had to have emergency surgery to get it out. Since then I have gotten back up to 280. My patient coordinator is thinking I will not qualify as a revision since I had it taken out and would have to go through the whole process which includes a 5 year history showing I was morbidly obese. Obviously there is no way to show that. Can anyone relate to this situation or know how to proceed? Did insurance cover. Any light shed on the topic would be amazing! :)

I can totally relate, Jackie! My band had been taken out exactly 2 years before I started pursuing the sleeve. I put back on weight fast :(. However, my BMI was under 35 when it was taken out in 2013, and slowly but steadily went up over the next 2 years to a BMI of 40. My insurance company required a 2 year weight history of being obese. I definitely didn't have 24 consecutive months of an obese BMI. However, I had a weight recorded in 2014, 2015, and 2016 that showed my BMI over 35 and finally over 40. I just got approved by my insurance company today. I did have to go through ALL the requirements again---3 month NUT visits, psych eval, EKG, EGD, X-ray.... But I got approved and didn't think I would because of the necessary 2 year weight history.

I would call your insurance company and make sure that they need a 5 yr history. Maybe it's less. Have hope!! :)

I'm so glad I found this post that I can relate to! I was banded at 19 years old and 347 lbs. I got down to 180 but was so sick and unhealthy. I had a major slip and had it out almost 3 years ago. I swore no more wls! However after a juicing diet nearly landed me in the hospital I knew I had to do something. I had gained back to 300 lbs but have maintained around 270-280 for the past year! Anyway I'm scheduled to have the sleeve in 10 days so I'm currently knee deep in the stupid liquid diet hahaha I'm so nervous but excited to get the weight off again. I know it's been a lot on my body and mind to be all over the place with my weight! I'm here for all of you and hope we all experience amazing success!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Had my band in 2012, lost 50 lbs initially, but progressively gained it back am now at my pre-band weight. I'm so disappointed that I didn't do the sleeve then, but I was arrogant and thought I could control it, that I just needed a tool... Well, I was wrong and have spent the last year trying to lose weight, but without success. I have my first appointment on Thursday to see a doctor and hear if he can get me approved for the conversion to sleeve.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

So update on the whole process:

After speaking with the Doctor and her Medical assistants we decided to go ahead and submit the claim (they never had to deal with submitting paperwork for a revision; only brand new patients). According to my Ins. for revisions a claim only needs the documentation showing that the band malfunctioned and not because of the patient. So we went ahead and did that with out submitting all the goodies that is normally required like 8 week weight loss and 5 year history and psych eval and they DENIED IT! :rolleyes:

Which believe it or not is GOOD news because they came back and said they are not requiring the 5 year morbid obesity requirement because of the documentation for the emergency removal.

Of course my doctor did have to go to bat for me. She had to have a peer-to-peer review to justify the medical necessity.

Got the call from my doc yesterday stating all I need now to get my claim approved is 8 week commercially recognized weight lost program and pysch eval.

I'm kinda stoked about it and in shock that I can forgo the 5 year proof. Just need to keep my fingers crossed and good vibes until I get the surgery.

Side note: Determination and persistence pays off. This was really uncharted waters for my doctors office. Be proactive and call the ins company, get the medical coverage guidelines, basically do their job along side them. Something could go missed. In my case the girls at the office had the wrong medical coverage guideline. That made the difference in the type of surgery I was covered for. Do your homework :) and also follow up with the insurance company after a pre cert or claim is filed.

Evil Ziggy Has your doc done other reivisions, or are you the first? If so, is that a concern for you?

Good luck at appt Ed~MICN! Similar to my story, it's horrible and as of next week I'll be sleeved. I had to do everything ALL over again but I feel it's worth it.