Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Managing Expectations for Body Image after Plastic Surgery

A patient must have realistic expectations going into plastic surgery after massive weight loss. Reeducating people about self-image is a critical component to accepting oneself after weight loss. The plastic surgeon must manage those expectations and explain to the patient her realistic outcome. Self-acceptance is, after all, a state of mind.

One patient told me that a plastic surgeon said to her, “I operate with a scalpel, not a magic wand.” While another patient told me her plastic surgeon said, “Let’s go for a 10!” I wonder about these statements. Does the first plastic surgeon lack the skills to deliver the results that the patient wants? Is the second plastic surgeon just telling the patient what she wants to hear?

A patient must have realistic expectations going into plastic surgery after massive weight loss. The plastic surgeon must manage those expectations and explain to the patient her realistic outcome. This is done by the plastic surgeon pulling tight her excess skin on each area of the body to simulate her results after plastic surgery. As well, showing before and after photos of other patients with similar body types.

Body Image and Media

The media has baited the hook, and the public chases after a trophy that will probably never be had. It is similar to purchasing a winning ticket for the lottery: It is possible but not probable. As a matter of fact, the average five foot four inch tall American female will never be tall and slender. She cannot match the media sales image of “desirable.”

A major global study concluded that current characterizations of beauty are restraining and normally beyond reach. A current contention is that this unrealistic presentation helps to promote social acceptance of discrimination against obese people.

It also sets the bar too high for realistic expectations of what we should strive to look like following post-bariatric plastic surgery.

Plastic Surgery Post Bariatric Surgery

While I was recovering from my body lift I thought deeply about the body image held by many of the patients I’d interacted with online, as well as my own image of my body. What are the emotional implications of plastic surgery post bariatric surgery?

We found our bodies unattractive, or even ugly, after losing 100 pounds or more. We were left with excess sagging skin that could not be exercised or dieted away. Having body image issues about breasts, thighs, and tummy being deflated and sagging is quite understandable. Wanting the sexy body you have always wanted is normal. Body contouring plastic surgery was the only way to restore the body’s normal shape. Read, Female Body Image and Sexuality.”

Reality Check after Plastic Surgery

The patient must understand that it takes several months to see plastic surgery results. If months have passed and the patient remains unsatisfied, it is a good idea to pull out before and after photos for a reality check. Improvement is more likely than perfection for a massive weight loss person, but it should be significant improvement. Read my article, “18 Insider Tips of Plastic Surgery.”

Body Image after Weight Loss

Reeducating people about self-image is a critical component to accepting oneself after weight loss. This will help lessen the extremes people employ as they try to grab a brass ring that is always beyond reach. Your goal should be one of significant improvement in functional mobility, stability, and aesthetics, rather than perfection.

One patient told me, “I am not looking to be Barbie or Twiggy, but rather a more compressed me if possible. I feel like a barrel even after the plastics I’ve been able to have via my ***. At some point I have to just accept me for me with my bodily flaws; and every scar on my body has meaning to me!”

Self-acceptance is, after all, a state of mind. Self-image is the idea a woman has about her abilities, appearance, and personality.

Cheryl, Thanks for this informative and dead-on article. It’s so important to realize that while body contouring and skin removal can be anything from an uplifting experience to even being medically necessary to be able to keep clean and keep moving to keep the weight off, it’s not a cure-all. Just like weight loss surgery and subsequent weight loss cannot by themselves solve underlying self-image issues, neither can plastic surgery.

Thanks for this enlightening article about what to reasonably hope for from plastic surgery, and how to approach the experience.

I think the show called SKIN TIGHT is enlightening in a way because of the few shows I have seen none of the people they showcase could be considered a 10. They are highly improved by removing hanging skin and they can get arm fat removed etc. All that is wonderful, but if you have been very fat or heavy for a very long time you will probably never be what you want to be when you visualize it yourself. Just plan on being happier and able to move without the restriction.

The images we have of the perfect body is maybe attainable by 1%-2% of the population. And the perfect body in and of itself is not an easy pass to happiness, per se. I am sure that there are challenges inherent in having a perfect body. Nor is it a given that it equates to having a good sense of self. The grass often appears greener on the other side!

Amazing transformation. Well done. I find this video and the comments to be really motivating. Thank you for sharing it.

I'd never seen your video before. It's really impressive!

:)