Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 Year post-sleeve

Wow. Its been exactly one year, almost to the hour, that I had the sleeve surgery. Its been a very interesting year with lots of ups and a few downs.

I posted about a week after surgery what the surgical experience was like. I'm not going to rehash that.

Good

Down over 80 pounds, BMI down to 23. Weight seems to have stabilized for last couple months.

Although I never had high blood pressure nor took medication, it was higher than it should have been. I now pop out 115/75.

Energy level is good. Very active.

Knee/back pain is GONE or at least 95% of it

Doesn't feel like I'm dieting. I still focus on Proteins, but my stomach's capacity is still 1/5 or less than what it was. I eat 3 "meals" and 2-3 Snacks per day. Cravings/desire for food greatly reduced. As a gauge of how much I can eat, I was traveling yesterday and ordered a 3 piece chicken strip and small fry from Chik-fil-a. I ate 2 pieces of chicken and 3 french fries. I was very full.

Bad

Definitely lost a lot of muscle. It partly makes sense as it takes less muscle to move less weight. But the last few months I've been working out putting muscle back on.

Initial discomfort from surgery. Very distant memory now.

Certain foods still cause issues - bread/pasta are two prime examples.

My ass definitely hurts when sitting. Planes are terrible.

Loose skin - definitely some saggy skin.

Lightheadedness - Have this pretty regularly when getting up. Have actually passed out 3 times. Mostly when dehydrated or had any alcohol. Hot tub also does it to me. Have to keep a close eye on it and sit back down quickly if necessary.

Social awkwardness - people don't understand why I eat so little and it has offended a few people. It is hard in a social food setting to not stand out.

Ugly

Foamies/vomit - I have had foamies 5 or 6 times and thrown up 3 times. Definitely not pleasant and just have to eat slowly and watch for signals to stop. That overfull feeling is terrible. Again certain foods like bread/pasta cause issues.

Bariatric Vitamins - disgusting. I switched after about a month to a multi-Vitamin that had all the same stuff. These things made me gag.

Sugar/alcohol - has a greatly increased effect. I can eat a kids size ice cream serving, otherwise get terrible sugar rush. Alcohol - same thing. Effect greatly amplified. One glass of wine and I am really tipsy.

Overall I still feel it was a great decision. I had battled weight issues since a kid and had never been successful getting anywhere close to where I am, much less keeping the weight off. I think if I was in the same position today that I was a year ago, I would try the balloon first. I went with Dr Heider in Charlotte and was very pleased. The self-pay through them was very straightforward and covered everything.

Congratulations on the weight loss, your newfound energy, and the relief from pain. Those are big changes in one year!

@@lslblues - I have experienced the people being offended that I didn't eat a lot thing. Hubby likes to eat out ALOT and we frequent the same restaurants and the staff at most know to NOT be offended.

I ask for a to-go container with my meal and an unfamiliar staff has said, more than once, something like "great idea for weight loss".

Funny...

Great post! I have a question for you. You mention having lost a lot of muscle. Were you exercising regularly during your weight loss phase? How much Protein were you getting?

I lost a lot of muscle in my legs and upper body. I was getting over 100 grams of Protein each day and was exercising a lot. Again, makes sense to lose muscle in my legs. Much easier to haul around less weight. But I definitely loss muscle in my arms, chest, etc. I've focused the last 6 or so weeks on getting it back and getting good results.

Wow. Its been exactly one year, almost to the hour, that I had the sleeve surgery. Its been a very interesting year with lots of ups and a few downs.

I posted about a week after surgery what the surgical experience was like. I'm not going to rehash that.

Good

Down over 80 pounds, BMI down to 23. Weight seems to have stabilized for last couple months.

Although I never had high blood pressure nor took medication, it was higher than it should have been. I now pop out 115/75.

Energy level is good. Very active.

Knee/back pain is GONE or at least 95% of it

Doesn't feel like I'm dieting. I still focus on Proteins, but my stomach's capacity is still 1/5 or less than what it was. I eat 3 "meals" and 2-3 Snacks per day. Cravings/desire for food greatly reduced. As a gauge of how much I can eat, I was traveling yesterday and ordered a 3 piece chicken strip and small fry from Chik-fil-a. I ate 2 pieces of chicken and 3 french fries. I was very full.

Bad

Definitely lost a lot of muscle. It partly makes sense as it takes less muscle to move less weight. But the last few months I've been working out putting muscle back on.

Initial discomfort from surgery. Very distant memory now.

Certain foods still cause issues - bread/pasta are two prime examples.

My ass definitely hurts when sitting. Planes are terrible.

Loose skin - definitely some saggy skin.

Lightheadedness - Have this pretty regularly when getting up. Have actually passed out 3 times. Mostly when dehydrated or had any alcohol. Hot tub also does it to me. Have to keep a close eye on it and sit back down quickly if necessary.

Social awkwardness - people don't understand why I eat so little and it has offended a few people. It is hard in a social food setting to not stand out.

Ugly

Foamies/vomit - I have had foamies 5 or 6 times and thrown up 3 times. Definitely not pleasant and just have to eat slowly and watch for signals to stop. That overfull feeling is terrible. Again certain foods like bread/pasta cause issues.

Bariatric Vitamins - disgusting. I switched after about a month to a multi-Vitamin that had all the same stuff. These things made me gag.

Sugar/alcohol - has a greatly increased effect. I can eat a kids size ice cream serving, otherwise get terrible sugar rush. Alcohol - same thing. Effect greatly amplified. One glass of wine and I am really tipsy.

Overall I still feel it was a great decision. I had battled weight issues since a kid and had never been successful getting anywhere close to where I am, much less keeping the weight off. I think if I was in the same position today that I was a year ago, I would try the balloon first. I went with Dr Heider in Charlotte and was very pleased. The self-pay through them was very straightforward and covered everything.

I tried the balloon first, lost weight but when it came out all the weight was back within a few months, then I went for the band, that worked very well I lost a lot of weight, but it failed and weight came back fast. At least with the sleeve I have a feeling of permanent restriction. I think you made the right choice.