Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stupid comments

I was as okay as one can be with having not lost anything according to the scale in 2 months. Stalls are a normal part of any weight loss, yada, yada, yada. Then today my Rheumatologist made a comment based only on my weight from two weeks ago, it hadn't changed so he says, "Looks like you've peaked. Have you asked your surgeon why your bypass stopped working?" I've loved this guy until today, now I just want to sucker punch him in the nads. Stopped working??? I go to the gym 3 times a week, according to my InBody test I've gained 3.5 pounds of muscle since November and lost 12 pounds of visceral fat. This is my first stall. It's also the first time in as long as I can remember that I didn't gain at least 5 pounds during the holidays that I would never lose. Thanks for perpetuating the myth that the only thing that matters are the numbers on a fucking scale. And...exhale.

What an idiot...you have not peaked...you have done great and this stall will pass...hang in there.

Goes to show just how ignorant people can be about the facts about WLS (any and all kinds!) and how it 'works' - even those in a medical profession! Like most of the other non-weight-challenged world, he just doesn't get that it's you doing the work, and of course no inkling about how weight loss occurs or how it's not a systemic mechanical loss week per week. Try not to hold it against him - he's just a person - making dumb comments without thinking or knowing anything about it, like everyone else :) I'm sure he meant well, just thinking maybe your surgeon could help or something.

You're doing great, and doing everything right - and you'll get past this stall - and your rheumatologist can go pound salt!

What a jerk. It's a stall...not a stop. Good grief!

I encountered some stupidity like this myself with my PCP who refused to supervise me for the surgery, even though I have several co-moribid conditions so I know how you feel. Don't let those comments bother you.

I'm going to see my endocrinologist tomorrow to tell her I'm having weight loss surgery and she will need to monitor me after the surgery for my insulin. She is TINY (in weight and height) she probably doesn't weight more than 100 lbs, no exaggeration. I just wonder what kind of comments I will get from her. We shall see.

I was as okay as one can be with having not lost anything according to the scale in 2 months. Stalls are a normal part of any weight loss, yada, yada, yada. Then today my Rheumatologist made a comment based only on my weight from two weeks ago, it hadn't changed so he says, "Looks like you've peaked. Have you asked your surgeon why your bypass stopped working?" I've loved this guy until today, now I just want to sucker punch him in the nads. Stopped working??? I go to the gym 3 times a week, according to my InBody test I've gained 3.5 pounds of muscle since November and lost 12 pounds of visceral fat. This is my first stall. It's also the first time in as long as I can remember that I didn't gain at least 5 pounds during the holidays that I would never lose. Thanks for perpetuating the myth that the only thing that matters are the numbers on a ******* scale. And...exhale.

So what was your response to his stooopid question?

@@goodnuff, WOW! :blink:

3.5 Pounds of muscle gained! :D

12 Pounds of VISCERAL FAT lost! :lol:

That is so freak'n AWESOME!!!! CONGRATS!!!!

@@goodnuff

Use that anger as motivation. You will show that ass H#@l that you are strong and determined ;)

Next time you see him, if he has another smart ass comment...Tell him " I will give your professional opinion to my surgeon" Quoted from the wise words of @@LipstickLady

So what was your response to his stooopid question?

Unfortunately nothing close to the good stuff I came up with after I talked to him. I was stunned into silence then I told him it was my first stall in 10 months and that I doubted I was done seeing I go to the gym three times a week and eat better than I ever have. Of course my diet isn't perfect so instead of remaining strong in my conviction I sat through the rest of my infusion doubting myself. A$$hat. I think it made me more angry because of course I already have those thoughts on my own but have been good at sticking with the new healthy habits instead of just giving up when the scale stopped moving.

I wish I would have told him to be more careful with his words because he shouldn't want to use the scale as the only evidence of progress in someone's health.

Thanks for the support guys.

@@animallover1247 - My endo is the one monitoring all my levels post-op (in addition to my bariatric surgeon). He was extremely supportive. Endos also study metabolism so I would bet she will be a much better resource than your PCP.

@@animallover1247 - My endo is the one monitoring all my levels post-op (in addition to my bariatric surgeon). He was extremely supportive. Endos also study metabolism so I would bet she will be a much better resource than your PCP.

I agree. The reason why I am so apprehensive about telling her is because about a year ago I told her two of my doctors told me I needed to have WLS because of my diabetes, HPB and sleep apnea. When I said this to her to get her thoughts, her response was "you have to change the way you eat" and that was it. I said yes, I would have to change my diet. I didn't get the vibe she would be so supportive. Regardless I am doing this and I'm sure she wont have a problem with monitoring me even if she may not agree with my decision. Overall I like her and I'm satisfied with the care she has given me but I am almost positive she's had very few if any WLS patients.

@@animallover1247 - you deserve supportive doctors. If you don't get a caring response, find a new Dr. Serious ll. There are too many good ones out there and you need one familiar with what Vitamin level tests to run. Besides, you just flat out DESERVE that respect. My PCP was not supportive really but I don't see her too often. Last time I saw her she hugged me and said how great I was doing and how proud of me she was. I had been considering changing drs but that changed my mind. My end has been nothing g but supportive from the beginning. I really hope that you find that too!