Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello my name is jeanell and back in March of 2005 I had RNY surgery in Denver, CO. My doctor was Michael A. Snyder. I lost a total of 110lbs but gradually started gaining 5yrs post op. I started noticing that food was causing digestive issues no matter if it was healthy or not and I was getting no Satiety with food. The symptoms got worse and exercise and diet was not stopping my weight gain. I finally decided to go back to my surgeon 10yrs pot-op and after gaining 60lbs. I found out that I definitely had issues with my stoma being enlarged and that a revision would be necessary.

It has been 5 days since my revision surgery and I hope and pray I get back on track. I will definitely make sure that

I follow all the rules of the tool and pay attention to my body. I actually had a hernia that required repairing during the revision surgery. My plan is to get as much support as I can because this procedure and journey is very exhausting mentally,emotionally and physically. I am excited that they have apps and forums like this to assist with this journey. I look forward to discussing my journey.

Regards,

Jeanell

Good luck on your recovery and I hope all goes well with you. Let us know how we can help.

@@jelaine5280

Welcome! I hope you have a very speedy recovery and can get back on track quickly. Feel free to reach out.

I too 13 years out 60 pounds gained back from losing 130 , I'm trying to reset my pouch , I go in to see my Dr in Feb for the same as yourself !! Please keep me posted on how it goes.

I'm a week out and still feeling tired but moving around a lot more. I hate with the revision you have 2 drains. I got one out. The other one is for the old stomach and must stay 3 weeks. Ugghhh. Things have changed a little since I had my first surgery but for the better. I'm 11yrs older so I know recovery is different too. The one thing I've had no issues with thus far is eating or drinking which is good. I feel the restriction which I didn't have before so this is a good sign. I'll keep you posted. Good luck with your appointment.

I had 6 drainage bulbs on my first surgery, so two will be a walk in the park for me although I am a bit older myself !

And thank you for the update , I was told you can expect to lose 30 pounds with revision ? Curious if you were told the same ?

Oh wow 6. so I won't complain anymore. Lol. I didn't ask about the weight loss as I was more concerned about the complications I was having. However I hope I lose more than 30lbs. Because with the revision I am going through the exact same process as before as far as food intake is concerned but I guess I'll find out soon enough. But I let you know my progress and will ask the question at my 3 week follow up appt.

Jeanell - sounds like we're in he same boat. My story is I'm now 40. My original surgery was an open RNY in March 2002. I'm 5'3" & started at 269 pounds. At my lowest I was 132 but I honestly looked sick all the time. I discovered alcohol and slowly gained 70 pounds back from chocolate martinis and cosmos - I don't drink at all anymore :(.

My original surgeon has since retired so I found a surgeon in my area that does revisions. He did a barium swallow on my first visit. He put me basically against a table the was upright then leaned it back just a little bit. They turned on an X-ray machine and had me swallow a chalky white substance and we could watch where the liquid went on the X-ray in real time. It was pretty freaky but pretty cool too! He said right there on the spot that my pouch looked great but my outlet seemed way to big like the original sutures didn't hold it small.
When he determined it was the outlet of my stomach that was the real issue he scheduled me for an endoscopy-they knocked me out, went through my mouth/throat and put a little camera in my stomach. He snapped a couple pictures. A couple weeks later his office was happy to inform me that Dr Snow could fix my outlet so I was scheduled for outpatient surgery Feb 9th at 9:30am. They went in the same way that they did for pictures except this time I had to have a breathing tube too. It took under two hours to cinch up the outlet down to 1cm and while he was in there he also stitched in some pleats on the inside of my pouch to make it a bit smaller too. (Bonus!) No drains or anything and I was back home by 1pm the same day. I have my first followup appointment Tuesday the 16th.
As for the results - So far so good. I'm still on Clear liquids and I'm sipping Protein Water throughout the day. I still really don't have an appetite but I get down a couple servings of chicken broth as well as a sugar free Popsicle and maybe one serving of sugar-free Jell-O each day.
I'm looking forward to this revision helping me with the unpredictable digestive issues I've been suffering with and any weight loss would be a great bonus!
I look forward to keeping up with your story :)
~K

Hello K,

I went through all the same tests as you but my doctor didn't do the procedure that you had which is shrinking of the stoma as I was told it wasn't as successful for revisions. I had surgery on January 18th with my previous surgeon. I'm glad I had the full RNY revision because I had an internal hernia and he also repaired some other issues that don't show up on an EGD. I figured that in almost 11yrs the procedure would be a little different for the better. I'm glad it's over and hope and pray my issues I had before are no longer. Good luck and keep me posted on your progress.

I went into the Dr here in KC yesterday seems they're not big on revisions , he scheduled me the EDG for the 16th, saying more than likely I have nothing wrong , he told me revisions are seldom done , I guess my cold sweats and pains are caused by , well I am not sure !? I bought a book on resetting your pouch 14 days of nothing but liquid diet , then 2 meals liquid , 1 meal end of day 3 oz Protein and veggies ... Guess we will see ! Good luck to y'all ! Please keep me posted !! This is a new Dr for me as well as my original Dr in KC is also no longer involved in the doing the surgery .