Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Metabolism/Beta Blocker

Has anyone who was taking a beta blocker for blood pressure prior to surgery, who is exercising regularly, had slow weight loss? While I am losing weight, I am in my second stall since surgery. I am exercising regularly, walking two to four (or more) miles a day, almost every single day since surgery, and I am noticing that my heart rate never really speeds up. So, if my heart rate isn't speeding up, I wonder if my metabolism will speed up?

I'm going to ask my surgeon at my next appointment in a couple of weeks, and also my primary care doctor, if I should be switched to a diuretic instead of the combination diuretic/beta blocker I am on now (Ziac).

Just wondering if anyone has had experience with this?

Thanks everyone, I appreciate all the great information and advice I have received from this forum.

Craig

Yes, I have experienced this. I was taking Atenolol and had a stall that lasted 3 weeks. It was lose 2/gain 2 over and over.

Someone in my support group suggested that I research my medications to see if any inhibit weight loss. I found that beta blockers can affect weight loss. I called my doctor and he agreed that I could stop taking the Atenolol to see if my weight loss improves.

I started losing again two days later.

@@JohnZ54 Thank you, I was suspecting that my BP med may be hindering my success. I appreciate it.

Invariably medication will need modifying [less is needed] after this type surgery + weight loss @ some point.

My BP last week was down to 110 on 60 using very low dosage Beta blocker & Alpha blocker now.

No longer the high dosage when BP was 150/165 on 95/100 before surgery & weight loss.

Ask your medico is pertinent advice.

I hadn't thought about this but it makes sense. Beta blockers tend to act by slowing the heart rate which reduces arterial pressure. One would reasonably think this would impact metabolism.

I take a Calcium channel blocker (verapamil) which acts differently. The Calcium channel affects smooth muscle contraction, so it prompts the arteries to relax and dilate which also reduces arterial pressure.

It might be worth talking with your doctor to see if a switch from a beta blocker to a calcium channel blocker or some other class of blood pressure control would be beneficial.

The good news for me is as I've lost weight I've seen a reduction in my BP and resting pulse rate. I've been able to reduce my BP medication dosage by half, and think I'm probably a month or two away from eliminating it altogether.

Thought I would give an update. I went to my PCP Tuesday, and he switched me off of the beta blocker to a diuretic. I had been taking the beta blocker for so long that I forgot what an elevated heart rate feels like. My body isn't liking the new med yet, but hopefully it will work. I had taken my old med prior to seeing the doctor Tuesday, and when they took my BP, it was so low that my doctor said it was time to at least reduce my dose, so it was a good thing I went. My weight loss has resumed, but I am hesitant to conclude that the beta blocker was inhibiting my weight loss just yet. I will update again in a few more days.

I asked my dr about this and she wouldn't switch me. She said she didn't see any difference with her patients. We shall see if my weight loss resumes now that I started walking regularly post op. I've been stuck at 185 for a week :/

following - my cardiologist just recommended a beta blocker for me (low does because I am diabetic and she noticed some thickening) and I am still pre-op

@cindyw41Cindy, I had a similar stall a few days post op, that lasted 9 days. Fight through it. I have been walking nearly every day since my surgery, started inside on my treadmill, going a half mile a couple of times a day, and now I am walking outside unless it is raining, from 2 to 5 miles a day. I've got bad lower back issues and sciatica in my right leg, so my back and leg dictate how far I can walk each day. When I begin hurting bad, I push for a little longer, then quit.

I'm not yet convinced that switching off of the beta blocker has allowed my weight loss to begin again, but I can tell you that my body isn't liking this new medicine yet, and my heart rate and BP have been running higher than when I was on the beta blocker. At least now, when I am power walking, my heart rate is rising, instead of staying low.

@AmyQwith2 Amy, best of luck to you on your up-coming surgery! It is worth it. I began the liquid only pre-op diet on December 7, had surgery December 28, and with some luck, by February 7, I hope to be at 50 pounds of loss. I am at 43 pounds now, and I am working and pushing hard to meet my goal.

Keep in mind, and I'm sure you do, that you still have to work hard at losing. But it is so worth making the life change! I'll update on this thread mid week next week, after I have been on this new med for a solid week.

Thought that I would update this thread a final time... I have switched back to my old medicine (Ziac) containing the beta blocker, but I am down to splitting the pill and taking half each day. The Losartan that my doctor had switched me to, was not doing a thing to control my blood pressure, and it felt as though my heart was beating irregularly. Further, when I would power walk or get on the treadmill, my pulse would almost immediately shoot up to 150 bpm. Last Sunday, I spoke with my doctor after church, and explained what was going on, and he told me to stay on it a few more days, then if I still had issues, to switch back to Ziac. So, I switched Tuesday. That said, my weight loss did not restart in the week that I took the Losartan. . I'm still convinced that if my heart rate never gets up during exercise, then my metabolism will not rise.

Now, I had my one month appointment with the surgeon on Wednesday this week, and explained that I keep stalling, and am losing very slowly. Immediately, he asked how many calories I was taking in per day, and what I was eating. I was taking in 600-700 calories, mostly Protein, per day. He said that I need to take in more food, that my caloric intake needs to be 1000-1200, and that the body tries to "hold onto" what it has, because it senses that it is starving. So, I am trying to take in more calories. Must say, I have never had a doctor tell me to eat more!

I was taking in 600-700 calories, mostly Protein, per day. He said that I need to take in more food, that my caloric intake needs to be 1000-1200, and that the body tries to "hold onto" what it has, because it senses that it is starving. So, I am trying to take in more calories. Must say, I have never had a doctor tell me to eat more!

When my loss stalled/slowed early on I was told exactly the same thing. Also that was when I was told by my doctor to forget about carbs, calories & just stop counting as the cm/inches would let you know!.

Helpful information... I too am on a beta blocker... Atenenol!! Thank you for this ☺

@denniemiddlegirl Good luck with your stress test and surgery! The surgery is a breeze. My EKG was normal.